2021 Monthly Painting Challenge - May

Caedrus

Greetings, fellow painters, and welcome to the Monthly Painting Challenge for May!

Everything you need to know for the Challenge is right HERE.

I'll be away for a couple of days, so I shall put this thread up a little early. It looks like last month's Highlander Challenge was a little too easy. Also, since Wyrd are hosting a Spring Painting Challenge, for the Month of May, welcome to:

The Base Challenge!

(No, it's not a Star-Wars-May-4th reference. Also, yes, I am now singing "It's all about the bass" in my head)

For the month of May, I want to see your absolute best base. Tell a story with the setting and basing of your miniature. Water, grass, flowers, stone, ice ... go nuts!

Have a fantastic May, look after yourself and your loved ones, and keep those brushes damp!

Caedrus.

• Like 3

For May, I will be pledging to finish my Alt Lazarus, my Hannah Lovelace (and thus, my Freikorps keyword). 

I haven't yet been inspired for the Spring Painting Challenge, so I might start on my Sandeep crew!

Have a great May, everyone!

Caedrus.

• Like 1

This month I'll be aiming to paint my Electrocutioners and a Dead Outlaw.

I'm excited to get the Electrocutioners finished, since it'll leave me just 3 models short of having a fully painted Abyssinian company. :D

The Dead Outlaw is the last model I need to finish my Parker crew. So he's an easy way to complete another crew from my collection! 

As for the Basing Challenge, I guess I should use it as an excuse to actually base one my my existing Malifaux crews. I tend to be very lazy on that front - usually I'll leave my model bases as plain dirt, until I'm motivated to pretty them up for a tournament or something. :P

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Diddick said:

Those are very nice trees 😮 mind sharing how do you make them?

On the contrary, I am glad you asked. I followed this tutorial made by Luke from Games Scenics. I was looking for not expensive, real looking trees for a while before discovering his channel.

I took the version with seafoam (bought from Green Staff World I think), and instead of the spray glue to stick the branches, I found less messier with white glue and a bit of superglue were needed. (But I am afraid I'll have to use it for the flocking.)

It takes some time to separate the branches but I find it relaxing and rewarding.

Also, for the bases, I used flat metal rings, because we need heavier bases in case we play outside, so the wind does not make them fall.

They are a WIP still, but some of them do look quite nice indeed, hehehe. Next step is to paint them with dsrk browns and later spray with glue and flocking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The flowers & showers painting competition has lots of entries with amazing bases, you might find some inspiration for this month's Base Challenge both in the diorama and the single mini category, there are some beautiful displays, and some of them can even be used in minis intended for games 👌

https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/153940-flowers-and-showers-voting-begins/

• Like 1