Double masters!!! Ressers in May World Series.

The World Series is finally trialing double masters, as you can see here:

So while we'll dive into discussion on the pools next week (after the April one finishes off), I thought we could at least start brainstorming about double master combos.

Our beloved Molly & Kirai has been nerfed into oblivion... But Kirai & Molly might be a viable combo, although significantly weaker.

Reva & McMourning is as potent a combo as ever, having received no changes. Indeed, McMourning is probably one of our best second masters at this point, being the absolute melee mayhem monster that he is.

EDIT: Actually, the focus nerf is a nerf to Reva & McMourning... But that's alright, still probably fine.

What other combinations are people thinking of running?

I just tried Seamus with Molly as a second master, and it felt pretty glorious. Round 1.

Here's the list I took:

• Seamus & Copycat
    • Whisper upgrade
  • Molly & Crooligan
  • 2 doxies
  • 2 belles

I don't think it is the final version of the list, but this felt pretty potent. Molly did her usual thing of supercharging the crew, so there were a lot of repositioning shenanigans to be had.

That centre platform means pushes mean a LOT. You can throw people off the building into hazardous fire, effectively doing 4 extra damage... It's BRUTAL. So Redchapel definitely feels pretty nuts here.

Not to mention the entire centre platform is blocking, so you can secret passage however you want...

Nice list! 🙂 
My favorite masters! 

... just wondering how well does a Crooligan work in that list - since you only have molly for by your side?
and if it would be worth adding the necrotic machine as additional model for a crooligan to teleport to? (think its allowed hiring?) 

13 minutes ago, doubleW said:

Nice list! 🙂 
My favorite masters! 

... just wondering how well does a Crooligan work in that list - since you only have molly for by your side?
and if it would be worth adding the necrotic machine as additional model for a crooligan to teleport to? (think its allowed hiring?) 

I think it is really pool dependent. On leylines it seemed fine since the crooligan only need to do a a few things. Think I'd make a very different list for Break The Line.

Necrotic Machine is an option I suppose, or you could just drop both the Belles and swap in Archie. Or Dead Rider to give Molly more mobility! Depends on what you're needing to accomplish, I think.

• Like 1

Once ran a Yan Lo crew with McMourning in it. Used Chiaki to give McMourning both Izamu's and Manos's Reliquaries. It took two turns to get there, but the Doc became unstoppable and on top of that Yan Lo hits full power at the same time so he joins him in the fray. The rest of my crew just spent the rest of the game scoring VP while the Masters just wrecked house.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KingJocko said:

Once ran a Yan Lo crew with McMourning in it. Used Chiaki to give McMourning both Izamu's and Manos's Reliquaries. It took two turns to get there, but the Doc became unstoppable and on top of that Yan Lo hits full power at the same time so he joins him in the fray. The rest of my crew just spent the rest of the game scoring VP while the Masters just wrecked house.

This is amazing!

To some degree I wonder if just Izamu's Reliquary would be enough. That way you can start wrecking on turn 1 with McMourning. Then when they finally have him under control, Yan Lo Arrives.

Manos' reliquary doesn't seem that necessary (since McMourning often effectively has regen 6). I think I'd probably prioritise Chiaki's or Yin's Reliquary if possible (so he has manipulative or terrifying). Chiaki's reliquary can also remove distracted which can be pretty clutch.

But there's all sorts of ways to run it I imagine!

The lists!

Me:

• Seamus & copycat & whisper
  • Molly
  • Crooligan
  • Dead doxy x2
  • Dead rider
  • 4 stones

His:

• Colette & doves
  • The captain
  • Showgirl w/ magical training
  • Soulstone miner
  • Harata with soulstone cache
  • Carlos Vasquez
  • 8 stones

Not sure I understand his plan fully. I think I do, but my plan seems strong into it if I do xD

Will find out tomorrow when we play!

7-3 into Tara

Schtook feels much more different because it requires alot more of a cagey and tactical playstyle. Before I could throw the vale across the table and confidently assume to get a big summon on t2. That's not a thing now so it requires more careful planning which suits me fine.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pergli said:

Also I'll likely not be doing double masters :D. No issues with anyone else running them but I don't find it to be effective enough for me. 

I'm curious how you felt with only having 4 stones and 2 masters. That just doesn't sound safe enough for me! @Maniacal_cackle

I feel that, to a degree, you can replace stones with card draw and/or positioning advantage.

I don't think Seamus or Molly were attacked a single time during that game (although if he had understood my crew better he might have tried to smash Molly).

Also, neither of us realised the doves were immune to pulses. So I gained 3-4 stones between Rider killing two doves and crooligans stealing stones I think.

So the list actually had more stones than I could use, since half the time I had the suit in hand or on top of the deck that I wanted anyway xD

I think at one point my hand was 13/13/12/12 after starting out with a single severe card in the initial 6 xD

Went into a 6-6 tie!

My list:

• Molly & Machine
  • McMourning & Killer Instinct (regret taking the Instinct)
  • Dead Rider
  • Archie
  • Crooligan
  • Crooligan
  • 4 stones

His list:

• Titania w/ Ancient Pact
  • Marcus
  • Malisaurus Rex (got flight + armor from Marcus)
  • Serena Bowman
  • Effigy of fate with upgrade

I was able to punish his fewer AP, as I killed his Effigy turn 1 and Gorar turn 2. However, by that point he also ground through my Molly & Crooligans - I should have kept them further back, but then would have lost Archie so I dunno.

The list was also just a bit too inefficient. I was hoping to steal some of his stones, but didn't end up being able to. Although ultimately I didn't really need any more stones, I just needed more cards xD

McMourning is AMAZING in this list, but the card hunger is pretty high since he has to discard to get his bonus. I think I would like this list when I can play a more reserved style, but it is a bit tricky to do it for Wedge. My crew was also so spread out that I couldn't rancid transplant for extra mobility, so that was awkward.

Can't think of a better list for the matchup, even knowing his list, though. McMourning was pretty critical to taking out Titania + Effigy, as well as snagging turf war markers for points. Just rendered the crooligans a bit obsolete. I suppose I could see maybe swapping the two crooligans for a rabble riser? But that feels wrong 😜

7 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Not sure if that was the right call.

Usually it is... Exept if it was a 6ss trap 😋.

I'm no resser player, but why not McM as the lead with Molly as the support (you're loosing caress, but it doesn't seems like a big deal)?  Than you would have access to the experimental keyword... I wondering since you said that the Crooligan were lackluster this game.

2 minutes ago, SEV said:

Usually it is... Exept if it was a 6ss trap 😋.

I'm no resser player, but why not McM as the lead with Molly as the support (you're loosing caress, but it doesn't seems like a big deal)?  Than you would have access to the experimental keyword... I wondering since you said that the Crooligan were lackluster this game.

I may well be wrong, but as well as losing Caress, you are losing the necrotic machine for free, which is more useful than the Chuhuahua in this sort of crew. You already can hire experimental if you want, I'm not sure how many you would need to hire to make it the right choice to be leader.

New Dr. McMourning Crew (Resurrectionist)
Size: 50 - Pool: 7
Leader:
  Dr. McMourning
Totem(s):
  Zombie Chihuahua
Hires:
  Molly Squidpiddge
  Rogue Necromancy
  Nurse
  Nurse 2
  Crooligan
References:
  Flesh Construct
  Mindless Zombie

This seems like a decent list, but don't think it'd have worked against Neverborn (they're too good at killing backline healers xD). Although manipulative is almost decent against them.

Maybe for round 3! Can also see an argument to drop a nurse for a necrotic machine and swapping the Crooligan for a terror or rabble.

I'm not sure if Mourning instead of Molly cames much sense. His leader-only ability won't be very relevant, definitly less then Molly's. Other than that, it's just a question of OOK cost. Even with double nurse you're saving only 1SS.

2 minutes ago, Graf said:

I'm not sure if Mourning instead of Molly cames much sense. His leader-only ability won't be very relevant, definitly less then Molly's. Other than that, it's just a question of OOK cost. Even with double nurse you're saving only 1SS.

Yeah, that occurred to me later. That said, in this specific pool I realised it would actually be better because assassinate was in the pool. And I'd rather he chase mcMourning aroung than get an easy kill on Molly xD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Going to try again tonight and take this:

• Molly & Machine
  • Dr McMourning
  • Rogue Necro
  • Archie
  • Nurse
  • Crooligan
  • 4 stones

I think this feels a lot better than the double crooligan. Bit sad to not have Dead Rider, but this is more of a hold your ground pool anyway (break the line and claim jump are in it), so will see how I go!

Having three healers might be awesome or overkill. Will see!

6 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

... My opponent ended up declaring Seamus and I had to rebuild my crew xD

I took McMourning, Manos, Rogue Necromancy, Crooligan and it destroyed pretty hard. In a lot of ways, Manos + Rogue Necromancy felt better than Archie + something else, since Manos' leap is so much more reliable.

What did you opponent bring that let you smash him so well? If you recall.