Bayou Errata

Thatguy

What do you think about Bayou following the new errata?

Sparks got the bump to Henchman. Which is pretty cool. Packed with Explosives went away, which is sad, but understandable.

My boy Som'er took a pretty big hit. Interested to see how it shakes out on the table.

Som'er
Nerf to Som'er seems a bit too much due to the new token system for summons. He could have kept the "Wait, you aint' my kid!" which was fitting him nicely fluff-wise. Also, dropping the Stat to 5 seems too much in addition to everything else.

Sparks
He's definitely worse with Tricksy, unless you want to go OOK and bring the Whiskey Golem. Not requiring the scrap/pit trap for the free action and not giving out fast makes it a nerf for Tricksy, but he'll be fine with Mei Feng.

Pigapult

Now requires LoS to place the launched model, so no more placing models within the shadow of any terrain. This is huge, it really reduces those places a lot. Basically you can't place models "on the other side" of blocking terrain (you need to place them 1"/2"/3" away from it, based on the size of the terrain 1/2/3-4-5).

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, ShinChan said:

Som'er
Nerf to Som'er seems a bit too much due to the new token system for summons. He could have kept the "Wait, you aint' my kid!" which was fitting him nicely fluff-wise. Also, dropping the Stat to 5 seems too much in addition to everything else.

Agreed, especially on the "fluff" thing.  I hate seeing little fluffy bit excised for "balance", particularly when it seems unnecessary.

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, ShinChan said:

Also, dropping the Stat to 5 seems too much in addition to everything else.

Yeah, this was also my feeling. It was always eating the best card in hand for me already. Being one of the worst summoning stats in the game, just seems mean. lol

I understand the "Wait, you aint' my kid!" if the goal was to make sure everything always has either an upgrade or a marker, but you could shift it to say something like "Discard the upgrade and gain a summoning token"

Pig Eating Grin was a good change imo.

I'd prefer that Take one for the Team allowed friendly Insignificant models, since then you could at least use it on Skeeters too.

Losing defensive Bayou Two Card is going to hurt. But I see why it was done.

Interested to see how he deals on the table.

Sammy and Bokors missed this errata too, which is interesting. So it looks like they're going to stay at their current power level for at least a while.

Also, the FAQ changed "another" again. So it looks like Ricochet triggers are back to working like intended. Not that I ever really had a chance to abuse it. lol

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Interested to see how he deals on the table.

Too much of a hit, if you ask me. I saw some of the changes coming, but this much?

I guess the crew that wasn’t winning tournaments will continue to not win tournaments. 

Other than that I really like the errata and changes - Especially the change to focus. The addition of a Summon Token could be a major nerf to Ulix and the Pigs, when playing against Guild. I assume they keep the token when they get replaced? Exorcists look terrifying now 😅

• Agree 2

Yeah, the GG2 changes are going to hurt Som'er and other summoners a lot.

2 minutes ago, GrumpyGrandpa said:

Other than that I really like the errata and changes - Especially the change to focus.

Yeah. I like it too. No Focus stacking for days.

I think the focus change is going to hurt Big Hat too, since it means G&O won't be able to stack a bunch for later use with Pig Eating Grin.

• Agree 1

My gut instinct kinda says that Sparks isn't good in Bayou anymore and Somer's nerf was ridiculously massive. I didn't think that he was overbearing before so now he looks quite lackluster. As @GrumpyGrandpaput it, I don't think we'll be seeing Somer hitting the podiums much.

Kin and Bokors remaining as they are also seems a bit weird. I guess that with many of the big guns getting severe nerfs, Ophelia, Zoraida, Mah, and Zipp now have better odds at winning tournaments.

The biggest disappointment is that Wizz-Bang didn't receive anything, Wrastlers are still as they are and Tri-Chi got a small nerf (well, maybe more of a sideways change).

So yeah, I liked most of the errata but the Bayou side seems really strange.

• Agree 7

Yeah, Somer's bubble style seems like it took a hit with GG2 as well and the other competitive Bayou Masters are kinda fine with the new Strat spread.

Zipp seems quite legit for Break the Line with Pianos and tiny Pushes to move the enemy linebreakers out of base contact with the markers. Too bad Infamous doesn't have all that many good linebreakers itself.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Yeah, Somer's bubble style seems like it took a hit with GG2 as well and the other competitive Bayou Masters are kinda fine with the new Strat spread.

Zipp seems quite legit for Break the Line with Pianos and tiny Pushes to move the enemy linebreakers out of base contact with the markers. Too bad Infamous doesn't have all that many good linebreakers itself.

I think that even just having zipp do walk, walk with Earl to drop him off on a flank with the marker might be good in some matchups.

There's so much flexibility and Zipp's mobility will mean that he can really abuse getting the markers sorted early, then spend the whole game piano-ing the enemy.

10 minutes ago, fire5tone said:

On the bright side... Sparks is a henchmen, with access to foundry *and* tricksy, that sounds like it could be insane, and I will test it at my earliest convenience

I get like there has to be a fun combo, but nothing springs to mind at the moment. 

45 minutes ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Looks like a boost for Kin. 

Less focus means more value from flinch. LaCroix raiders seems a little better now since Nerf Herd er Break the Line seems to really like small pushes and cheap significant models. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I get like there has to be a fun combo, but nothing springs to mind at the moment. 

your neither thinking hard, nor fast enough

and thats kind of a pity because we here at sparks LLC exclusively outsource, but you? *lifts a blank piece of paper* this is you

I think Sparks' change is a pretty solid buff tbh. He gets to treat models as constructs with Now Yer A Robot allowing him to both Command Construct them and heal them for 2 with the wrench wo a TN. Also the Pack With Explosives trigger is going to be absolutely massive in a couple of KWs. Pigs, for instance, can effectively ping 3 times unresisted when you combine PWE w Stampede and Reckless. And as fun as the Bombs In Yer Belly upgrade was, it was a mechanic that mostly required your opponent to either be unaware or actively play along to get solid mileage out of. Now it may actually see table time in competitive environments.

Additionally the Command Construct action combines pretty well with Analyze Weakness as your enemy no longer gets an activation to get the armored piece out of the way before, say, a Whiskey Golem charges it. Being a henchman also means that you can get some mileage out of his auras without him crumpling like a gasoline doused paper tissue on fire.

4 round Vassal tourney coming up in early May for me and I can't wait to put Sparks on the table :)

• Like 2

Sparks has always been very meh in Bayou imo. I do think the changes overall are good for him, but this doesn't change my mind he is an afterthought in Bayou.

Somer changes seem harsh. I don't think they needed the double nerf on Bayou 2 Card.

I like the summon tokens and the change of how summoning doesn't help with the strategy or scheming as much, but wow is that going to hurt ulix. His entire concept was summoning and growing your muscle and he needs a lot of support to do that (support that is just focused on supporting and slow by itself).

The changes on Somer's card do not affect him as much as it read. He can still play the pre-errata way and keep most of his strength. It is the interact clause and bubble-unfriendly strategies make him unplayable in GG2.

In the bright side, with the change to the "another" classification, he can now take the Pig-Eating Grin shoot himself.

1 hour ago, wizuriel said:

I like the summon tokens and the change of how summoning doesn't help with the strategy or scheming as much, but wow is that going to hurt ulix. His entire concept was summoning and growing your muscle and he needs a lot of support to do that (support that is just focused on supporting and slow by itself).

Vendetta also took away the Replace-sillyness, which affects Ulix. (Though I heartily approve of the change!)

8 minutes ago, Rufess said:

The changes on Somer's card do not affect him as much as it read. He can still play the pre-errata way and keep most of his strength. It is the interact clause and bubble-unfriendly strategies make him unplayable in GG2.

Yeah, it's not like G&O or Lenny do Strats and the rest of his gang tends to kinda recycle itself so he seems really rather bad now.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Rufess said:

The changes on Somer's card do not affect him as much as it read. He can still play the pre-errata way and keep most of his strength

I think you can play the same way, but I don't think the results are going to be as good for you. Offensively I don't think much has changed. I personally rarely used Make Me Proud Boys, as I generally wanted my opponent to spend so killing my stuff. 

Losing defensive Bayou Two Card is going to hurt a lot. Especially against shockwaves and pulses were you can't afford cards too save the small stuff. 

5 hours ago, Clement said:

Is there some big consequence to Somer no longer discarding cards, but rather the model taking the action?  It seems like such a specific change and I can't figure out what it functionally changes.

At first I thought it was going to effect the order of drawing and discarding from Demise (Expendable) but now I don't think it does.

My only guess it's that since Somer is usually farther back from the front line, it's so that auras that effect discarding will be more likely to effect his frontline stuff. But in can't think of any instances where that matters off the top of my head.

4 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

At first I thought it was going to effect the order of drawing and discarding from Demise (Expendable) but now I don't think it does.

My only guess it's that since Somer is usually farther back from the front line, it's so that auras that effect discarding will be more likely to effect his frontline stuff. But in can't think of any instances where that matters off the top of my head.

Youko has an Aura where enemy models discarding cards lets her draw.

• Thanks 1

I think the foucus change also affects 12 cups... Especially the Samy shenanigans where it was possible to stack 7 focus on the same model...

For casual play, I like the idea of a Spark leader with giant robots (Metal and Whisky)...

I still can't believe that the Bokor are left untouched... Phelia and Z are already top masters for Bayou and they're happier than ever (side note, I think the Silurid can now claim the tittle of best low cost scheme runner in the game with the Necropunks nerf).

Finally I'm sad that by wrastlers stay in limbo... Maybe we'll need them in the new strat, but I doubt it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, SEV said:

side note, I think the Silurid can now claim the tittle of best low cost scheme runner in the game with the Necropunks nerf).

I'm not sure 6ss is low cost. But yeah I agree. I think piglets used to be a big contender to for best low cost scheme runner, but with the Summon nerf I think they're in a tougher spot too.