Waldo's Weekly - Time May Change Me

mattc

50 minutes ago, ShinChan said:

There was a ninja nerf to the Dead Rider (at least the card in the app). Is it going to be reflected in the Errata too? I think it should, for clarity purposes so nobody gets surprised.

What is it? He is listed in the Errata doc. What do you see on the card that changed that isn't noted? 

• 1 month later...

I’m just getting back into Malifaux after over a year, so I’m out of the loop. 

What crew was causing issues to warrant the summoning nerf?

Also, I’m pretty disappointed in seeing the complete change to the Outcasts Wanted Criminal upgrade. Thats about the only upgrade I ever used, didn’t seem too over-the-top to me. What was the issue with it?

2 hours ago, Hot4Perdita said:

I’m just getting back into Malifaux after over a year, so I’m out of the loop. 

Also, I’m pretty disappointed in seeing the complete change to the Outcasts Wanted Criminal upgrade. Thats about the only upgrade I ever used, didn’t seem too over-the-top to me. What was the issue with it?

I don't think anyone really went for Wanted Criminal outside of Parker crews due to how situational the benefits were.  Expert Thief doesn't strike me as being amazingly useful all that often, competitive M3E seems to favor more elite crews with fewer minions (and the prevalence of Focus meant that many people found minions too fragile to merit extra investment like upgrades a lot of the time), so Swagger isn't that attractive.  Protection Money's good under the right circumstances, but there are workarounds.

That's my thoughts, at least.  I will say that as someone who likes their minion-heavy Freikorps, I usually go in for Soldier for Hire and the occasional Servant of Dark Powers - they're generally more useful, I find.

5 hours ago, Hot4Perdita said:

From what I could tell - Most, if not all of them. The GG2 changes and the summoning nerf has really put a dent into the whole gimmick, but it seems to be for the better of the game. I've personally enjoyed GG2 much more than GG1.

12 hours ago, clockworkspide said:

I don't think anyone really went for Wanted Criminal outside of Parker crews due to how situational the benefits were.  Expert Thief doesn't strike me as being amazingly useful all that often, competitive M3E seems to favor more elite crews with fewer minions (and the prevalence of Focus meant that many people found minions too fragile to merit extra investment like upgrades a lot of the time), so Swagger isn't that attractive.  Protection Money's good under the right circumstances, but there are workarounds.

That's my thoughts, at least.  I will say that as someone who likes their minion-heavy Freikorps, I usually go in for Soldier for Hire and the occasional Servant of Dark Powers - they're generally more useful, I find.

Yes, that’s how I used Wanted Criminal, with my Parker crew. 

9 hours ago, GrumpyGrandpa said:

From what I could tell - Most, if not all of them. The GG2 changes and the summoning nerf has really put a dent into the whole gimmick, but it seems to be for the better of the game. I've personally enjoyed GG2 much more than GG1.

What was the gimmick? How was it causing issues? Like I said, I’m out of the loop of all the happenings from the last year or so, just curious as to what was happening to cause the change. I’m sure it was something pretty over the top.

I’m starting to play my Dashel crew a bit, and the change caught me off guard the other day (no pun intended), though I usually don’t use my summons for schemes. I generally try to bring in an executioner to tie up enemy models to allow my dogs to go run the schemes. 

1 hour ago, Hot4Perdita said:

What was the gimmick? How was it causing issues? Like I said, I’m out of the loop of all the happenings from the last year or so, just curious as to what was happening to cause the change. I’m sure it was something pretty over the top.

I’m starting to play my Dashel crew a bit, and the change caught me off guard the other day (no pun intended), though I usually don’t use my summons for schemes. I generally try to bring in an executioner to tie up enemy models to allow my dogs to go run the schemes. 

You'll find some of the tricks* to fairly easily summon 10+ pts a turn in this thread, which is a pretty big swing in points when you're playing a 50 soulstones. 60 soulstones vs 50 soulstones is an advantage and more of an advantage if you can add more and more later.

https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/152837-opinion-crews-shouldnt-consistently-be-able-to-summon-10-stones-in-a-turn/

*typically not described in depth however.

Some summons (stuffed piglets) might not have deserved the nerf, but my limited experience post errata with Asami (a summoner hit by the summoning nerf but no other direct nerfs) is that the nerf to summoning seems fine.  I hire schemers a bit more and summon beaters instead of schemers (though depending on scheme and situation I can still summon certain schemers). Given your last paragraph the change shouldn't affect you much.

• Agree 1

On 6/4/2021 at 2:38 PM, clockworkspide said:

That stuff about Minions applies equally to the Disguised portion of the new Wanted Criminal. In fact my main issue with the new upgrade is that most of the critiques of old Wanted Criminal still apply. It's a niche upgrade with situational benefits. It's the kind of thing I could see being worth 2 stones in a vacuum on the right map and strategy, but outside of a vacuum will usually lose out to other options. At least the old Wanted Criminal had one clear use. The new one doesn't even have that.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Azahul said:

That stuff about Minions applies equally to the Disguised portion of the new Wanted Criminal. In fact my main issue with the new upgrade is that most of the critiques of old Wanted Criminal still apply. It's a niche upgrade with situational benefits. It's the kind of thing I could see being worth 2 stones in a vacuum on the right map and strategy, but outside of a vacuum will usually lose out to other options. At least the old Wanted Criminal had one clear use. The new one doesn't even have that.

I 300% agree with this. Some people argued that it's useful with Mad Dog to get out of engagement, but that way more situational than the old Wanted Criminal.

I honestly don't know what they were trying to achieve with this change, since it's the upgrade is extremely niche without a clear purpose/role.

I've already tried it with Parker a couple of times and honestly, it sucks. 

I don't see myself using it with my other Outcasts crews:

• Hamelin
    • Rat Kings: They already have a better Forage and they don't benefit much from Disguised, they like to stay in melee.
    • Rat Catchers: They have 2 modes of operation: supporting the bubble and going to kill stuff in late game. Gaining "Disguised" doesn't help at all to fight the main thread of these guys, ranged attacks.
  • Tara
    • Void Wretches: I don't think I have to explain myself
    • Void Hunters: They could actually get some use of disguised, but between movement 6, being incorporeal and Obliteration's reposition tricks, if they're in a position where they can be charged easily, it's because you wanted them there in first instance.
  • Leveticus
    • Abominations: Even worse than void wretches
    • Scavengers: They're backline support models. Now they basically have 1 extra action every turn and they don't mind being engaged. It was nice when they had Forage, but it's an ability that it's not worth to pay 2ss for (not even 1ss).
    • Desolation Engine: They want to charge and stay in combat. If you're going to put an upgrade on them, you get way more value from SoDP.

• Like 1

A Ronin is the best user of the upgrade I've found so far, and even it isn't amazing. I mean, going from 5" of free movement a turn to 7" isn't nothing for a flanking schemer, but unlike Mad Dog and the like it's not actually adding new tech to the card. As with other cases you mentioned the Disguised portion doesn't come up so much since the main threat to that model is shooting, and because you're running a flank and actively avoiding enemy models you're that much less likely to encounter enemy scheme markers.

• Agree 1