Welcome to Honeypot (Lynch questions)

belorey

Yesterday i was tired so i went to Honeypot for some fun and relax. The onwner, a gentleman, invites us to a round of brilliance and now i become an addict. 

So, how do you play this crew? What are their streinghts and weaknesses?

All the shenanigans with brilliance are ok, but i feel keyword is weak and easy to kill. No healing and no range attack outside of Hungering's Obey and Beckoner's Lure.

This are my impressions after my first game with him:

Jacob Lynch: The owner of wonderfull Honeypot is very funny with all his shenanigans, but also is so easy to beat down since most crews usually have Focus +1 or even more since T1 so his only def tech becomes almost irrelevant. If they changed Don't beat the hand like: "When an enemy model with Brilliance Token target this model with an Attack Action, the Action suffer a :-flip to it's duel for each Brilliance Token it has (to a maximum of +2)".

Mr. Tannen: Looks like a must in all list's but, even with Trained Ninja is very weak, and i think this is a model who really need it to survive. His Manupulative and Boring Conversation are harmful, so if you go late on turn you cannot use bonus, but if you go early you lost first one. Shouldn't be better if he got Serene Coutenance?

Mr. Graves: A tech piece, giving you extra mv for Tannen and Lynch on T1/T2 and with Cover 2" around him, but black blood is more dangerous for you than for your opponent since this crew goes in bubble.

the MVP of the crew for me are Tannen and Kitty! :)

To protect Tannen use a silent protector beckoner or Samurai! Trained Ninja is only good against long range crew and Tannen wants to be close to do is thing so in most case it's a bad protection for him!

Kitty gives the crew the mobility they need to get in place and make the bubble of ''you can't do anything'' going! and after that she is an excellent schemer!

Jacob is often a distraction. You should not need him to win and he is there to disrupt opponent plan and put pressure! try to summon low minions with him to put even more pressure and Brilliance. If you bring a little healing or a silent protector minion he will be really hard to bring down! ;) Beware about some of the high-dmg master/henchman and if you face one of those play more defensive!

Beckoners are really nice for the early Brilliance and also to help mobility of the crew!

Graves is just bad for the crew! I never take him anymore!

Gwyneth is fun to play and can be really strong but I often don't have the ss for her sadly because I will almost always choose Kitty over her!

Always bring a way to heal with honeypot! Tanuki, LRM or Sun are all good choices but I really like the versatility Tanuki brings!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

I have only played a couple of games against Lynch and to me, his defenssive tools rely more on the advantage in cards thanks to rig the deck and the terrifying around the crew, causing your opponent to cheat often just to pass it and giving you the edge on cards.

Also, you've got Kitty's trigger Under the table, to add some card draw. But here I am just theorizing since I have not seen her on the table.  She seems to be pretty key yo the crew and quite strong for playing the game (scheming and so on, hehe). 

All in all, the Honeypot's owner seems to be pretty challenging to play, but also quite strong if played properly.

• 3 weeks later...

So I have a few slight disagreements with you. 

the crew can be deceptively resilient. Lynch hands out healing and Brilliance to friendly models with his bonus action (This Round is on Me) with the built in trigger. This works on all friendly models not just keyword so can also bump friendly models back above Hard to Kill, help keep things topped off, and hand out more Brilliance to help power Huggy Bear’s (HB) actions and heals. 

Several of the other models also have some innate healing- HB’s bonus action heals by removing Brilliance and can provide a decent amount of healing per action especially when you consider the Brilliance the crew can hand out to friendly and enemy models to power it. In conjunction with his incorporeal and stones he can be pretty tanky again light hits and weak damage. 

Kitty also has a self healing action- Draw Essence- which while it isn’t the most reliable can, especially late in the turn when the opponent may not have the cards to cheat, ping out a decent amount of damage and heal her a few points. With incorporeal, this, stones, and a little healing from Lynch similarly she can stay upright pretty well except against really good beaters. 

Gwynn also can be pretty tanks as well though she doesn’t have a traditional heal. Instead with her Luck Thief ability any time an enemy fails an action targeting her she heals 2..... so you save a card to cheat with to protect her (or just win the duel naturally) and in addition to denying them damage she is also healing + she can use stones as well and get the chip healing from Lynch. 

Illuminated heal and regenerate as well but I don’t ever field them anyway.... the only way they see the table is if the stars align just right and you can stack enough Brilliance and get a Succumbed to Darkness off with Lynch..... never actually pulled this off. There are times I want one for some more deck manipulation and a mid rate combat minion but there are other things more important. 

I understand the arguments for Tannen but I don’t field him or Graves.... though I am closer to fielding Graves and probably would if I needed more Ruthless.... instead I usually dip into versatiles once I have Kitty, Gwynn, and a Beckoner (or two) in my list. 

Previously I would take a Tanuki on occasion for more healing and focus stacking though now that isn’t really worth it since they lost the focus on Sober Up.... instead I would consider an OOK LRM if I needed more healing. Even a little goes a long ways on models that have incorporeal in conjunction with the other heals from Lynch and HB, Gwynn, and Kitty’s native healing abilities. 

A lot of the time my versatile picks are also things that being healing and resilience to the crew as well. At the risk of inviting further “adjustments” to the faction Fuhatsu  often makes it into my crews and he has his own healing as well in addition to Hard to Wound and Armor. Similarly Samurai bring Armor and healing as well and are crazy tanky with any other healing to go with their own defenses though they usually get beat out in my crews by the Lone Swordsman who brings Armor and Hard to Kill.