Would wyrd ever create a video game? can I suggest just making a module inside divinity original sin 2?

ooshawn

Instead of paying money for programming they would only have to create a module inside one of the best selling RPGS of all time. It'd save a ton of money and they could focus on the story instead of a bunch of technical garbage way outside of their scope of expertise. It's got Co-OP, it's got everything

I think one of the major challenges would be monetising it.

Making video games is relatively straightforward now (you can even just use something like RPGMaker). Completing games and then turning a profit off of them is enormously difficult. So it'd be a weird direction to go for a company that has already found a great niche.

That said, if Wyrd DID make a video game, I'd certainly want to try it. 40k has made a bunch of video games, as it is a natural direction to go after you reach a certain size. But I think often the key to success there is to partner with a studio that knows what they're doing with video games and then working with them to use your IP in a really great way.

So if I had to guess what would make a Wyrd video game happen, it'd be if a decent size video game company expressed interest in doing it, or even a small indie company if they had a good track record and pitch.

For instance, if I had gone down the video game development path, I'd have tried to come up with something unique about Malifaux and put a video game twist on it.

I'd probably do something like start with the question of "with all these brawls between important people in Malifaux going on, what's life like for the civilians??"

Then I'd try to make a puzzle game where you play a civilian in the middle of Malifaux combat. You're just trying to escape the level alive as a sudden brawl breaks out between Seamus and the Lady Justice, with things like Seamus popping out of secret passages and blowing people away with his gun.

That makes for an interesting video game idea, but suddenly Wyrd's expertise (tactical tabletop play) doesn't translate well to the video game world (real time puzzle solving). So they would need to partner up with a company that knows how to do the video game part while Wyrd provides the awesome IP.

Then the player has a fun world that they can enjoy whether or not they play Malifaux (and if they do, they'll be like "that's Seamus' secret passage!!!")

If I had to create a game based on malifaux, ill Try to get away from creating much lore. Technicaly the best game type could be rouge like,

Focused on a grid board, and positioning of troops with 2/3 skills.
or
Based in cards. like slay the spire.

I think that the board/positioning is more in the malifaux spirit, keeping it simple.

I could even create the malifaux itself on unity (I started but the few people that saw it didnt like the idea over vassal even beeing waaaay beter game tool)

Sorry for the sound and speaking pace.

I abort that proyect. But whatever, I do not think wyrd really want it, for now.

• Thanks 1

Malifaux as an IP would excel REALLY well if it were done in a Disco Elysium style format. The world is very alien and distinct from our own, so that would need to be accentuated in some way or players would probably just get confused. I could see a rougelike progression system working well, but malifaux isn't really an IP where battles just rage in the streets, it is more clandestine than anything

• Agree 2

my ideal Malifaux video game would be a VN combined with tactical battles (similar to Blackguards if anyone played that). You get some story, make some choices and depending on those choices you end up in different combat scenarios. Considering how much lore they have already written, and the excellent combat system the hard part would be making a computer play the game reasonably well.

I would like to see either a rougue-like where you either have access to eight units from each faction (plus player leader) and survive day to day. Units level up on kill or gaining VP, emphasizing the strategies and schemes from permadeath discouraging going full in on combat. I would feel like keeping it to the original 5 factions may be best, both for workload as well as the O5 having the most coherent aesthetics and gameplans.

The bigger question is how to include a 'cheat fate' mechanic both for its importance to the source and ability to use both of Malifaux's taglines ("cheat fate or lose you soul" and "Bad Things Happen") for marketing purposes. As well as including soulstones. Although the concept of resources that you can use in a replenishable manner in combat being an important currency is an interesting one with a lot of interesting design space.

Of course, you could also do a more story focused game, but Malifaux's factions pose an obvious problem. You could have multiple campaigns (a lot of work), or characters from factions joining up (which is difficult and would need a lot of characters. 

long ago in the before times , magic the gathering had a rpg where you walked around, did stuff, then had a card battle. Perhaps they could include the deck into the game as a way of generating the results of actions , and even include the player having a hand to influence fate. its the same thing as rolling dice , just different math. Then you can choose to throw extra "dice" at something you want to succeed. I second the rogue-like or the disco elysium style too. As long as they just followed a established formula that already worked I think it could be alright

There are 2 different suggestions here, one is making a computer game in the malifaux universe, which can relatively easily be done, just by reskining an existing game with the malifaux universe, and the other is to try and capture the malifaux feel in a computer game, which is harder because you can't just stick it in an existing engine. 

The world is an interesting world to play in but I feel the first option would just feel like cashing in an idea. Ideally if wyrd was to do it I'd be more interested in the second option, but it is a lot harder. 

To be fair, programming is outside of Wyrd's wheelhouse, a licensed game by a dedicated developer would probably be a better outcome. 

That would need a company to show interest in buying the rights however, and since it isn't that big of a franchise, and indie devs like making their own dreams, this is highly unlikely. 

I personally believe that Malifaux has the strength of aesthetic to pull in an audience beyond fans of the IP (the Shadowrun Returns series did this for example), but I still hate how much of a pipe dream this is, I would love a Malifaux game. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Xavian and Deathgrip said:

To be fair, programming is outside of Wyrd's wheelhouse, a licensed game by a dedicated developer would probably be a better outcome. 

That would need a company to show interest in buying the rights however, and since it isn't that big of a franchise, and indie devs like making their own dreams, this is highly unlikely. 

I personally believe that Malifaux has the strength of aesthetic to pull in an audience beyond fans of the IP (the Shadowrun Returns series did this for example), but I still hate how much of a pipe dream this is, I would love a Malifaux game. 

The real answer is that a fan would need to do most of the work out of their own sheer desire, and then get noticed by a larger corporation that backs them and gives them the resources to expand on, polish, and complete their idea. Like with what just recently happened with TBOI

• Agree 2

Kinda want a Diablo clone where you run around the streets of Malifaux shooting Gremlins and zombies and take down different Masters to unlock abilites and weapons. Lol

3 hours ago, touchdown said:

my ideal Malifaux video game would be a VN combined with tactical battles (similar to Blackguards if anyone played that). You get some story, make some choices and depending on those choices you end up in different combat scenarios. Considering how much lore they have already written, and the excellent combat system the hard part would be making a computer play the game reasonably well.

I think you could do a pretty good visual novel/pick your own adventure game and use a hand of cards to try and direct your protagonist through the story. Like less you're the protagonist and more you're someone manipulating his fate to change the way the story plays out. 

I mean even the biggest names in tabletop, WotC and GW, don't try to make their own video games*. They just license it out.

The only company I can think of that tried to do the multi-media approach of tabletop and video games was Holistic Design, and they reached for the sun with Emperor of the Fading Suns (imagine playing Civilization 2 but on dozens of planets simultaneously), and then contracted significantly.

*I think the digital version of MtG is an exception, but Wizards wasn't making any D&D games

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, touchdown said:

*I think the digital version of MtG is an exception, but Wizards wasn't making any D&D games

I think digital versions are a different thing. Malifaux already has Vassal, and Wyrd could implement something like that if they realllly wanted to.

But that's not really the same thing as a video game.

I love the setting/world/characters, and would love to see the IP expand into other mediums.  I don't think I would want a direct adaptation of the tabletop game, though.  There's so much potential to do other things with the IP, without being fixated on the mechanics of the game itself.

An RPG - in some shape or form - would be ideal.  But heck, I like the Malifaux setting enough that I would love to see multiple games/shows/whatevers expanded out from it.

• Agree 1

that's what i'm saying man. the lore, the Rpg IS malifaux. it's a STORY DRIVE miniatures game. the setting/story is malifaux. Yeah the game is good too, but It's our attachments to the characters that keep us sticking around as well. Books + an cRPG is what I need. 

• Agree 1