Still early in the process, but I'm working on a few temptations, Manifested Powers (or similar) that are tied in with teh Tyrants who, in a way, pay part of teh cost off in exchange for linking to a Human. Oh, the Human doesn't know that they're in service of a great force at first, they think that they're winning the deal, but, over time, it gets more and more clear who's in control. As part of teh subsidized cost, they can be taken as General upgrades, rather than being a Destiny Step, but the player doesn't get to help put the package together ... it' already made for them. Isn't that so NICE of the Tyrants? To take away all that pesky MATH and complicated figuring out of one's own path and instead just being handed a gift and helped along a path? So kind-hearted, those guys!

It's still EARLY in the process, so I'm happy to take suggestions. The Tyrants, and a few other major forces that are on a similar level (like the Grave Spirit) are a diverse bunch, after all, and more heads could really help. Below I'll post what I have thusfar, but the formatting is *not* going to work here I don't think, so brace for a bit of ugly. I know that a few of them have to be tweaked as I started them in 1st edition, where the spell bases and Immuto were different, but I've not cleaned that part up yet (Especially for Cherufe!) but the basic format should be clear.

For these first gifts, one big goal is to keep all the target numbers at 7 or less. They're relative small gifts and, more over, are intended for common people, so should be relatively easy to pop off. Start 'em small, give 'em a little taste, then bring them in for more once they're hooked, as it were.

Tyrannical_Temptations.odt

• Like 1

Once I'm done with these, the idea is to make up twenty or so cards. When characters are being generated, it'd be as normal, but everyone gets one less General Talent than the book would give them. Instead, you use the Temptations.

Thirteen for each Tyrant. On the front of the card will be the sales pitch, the whisper that it sends to someone crossing the Breach to see if it can snare someone to its side.  You can easily mark 'em with Ace-King as well, if you wanted to rank them. 

The Grave Spirit gets to be the Black Joker. 

The last card, which will be replicated six times or so (depends on the size of the group) gets to be the Red Joker, in essence. 

You take the thirteen Tyrants, shuffle it up, then deal out one per player, then sit the Black Joker in the middle of the table, taking the other cards back behind the GM screen. 

Each player can, in turn, either ACCEPT the Temptation, at which point they keep the card and gain the ability that it has on the back, PASS on the Temptation, at which point they take a card from the middle and then replace it with what they had, or REJECT all Temptations. A REJECT means that they add their card to the middle pile and instead get the Red Joker. 

Each player may only ACCEPT once, at which point they're done.
Each player can REJECT once, at which point they're done.
Each player can PASS as many times as they want, so everyone could, if they want, eventually see all the Temptations. That's fine! The more they're Tempted, the better. :D

The Red Joker is a simple one, to the effect of, "You have rejected all offers to aid you, choosing to control your own fate. Time will tell if this was wise or foolish; Either way, the choice is yours. You may choose any one General Talent for which you qualify."

(Have to hammer out the wording later.)

So, everyone gets the same chargen that they'd normally get, but they'd have the option of getting one of these Temptations instead. Of course, you can't serve two masters, so if they chose one, they could never choose a different one, BUT, it'd later open up more, stronger Temptations that would lock them into service of a Tyrant. 

That's the theory, at the least. Might make 5-tier "Servant of (Tyrant)" Advanced Pursuits instead, letting people walk the path instead of General Talents, not sure yet. 

Still lots to ponder!

• 3 weeks later...

SMall update as paying work has taken a lot of free time.

DECEMBER

I'd originally gotten a bit complicated here, trying to do something with immunity to cold, then a few other things, before going in to dig into the Hypothermia rules and spotting that Frozen Heart made you immune to cold, in addition to the rest of what it did, and it was just a plain ol' General Talent, so December's offering is just Frozen Heart and done. 

MERIDIAN

Once I'd figured December out, and just a perma-state was also fine in addition to a manifested power, then Meridian went from a problem to easy: Gain Amphibious (Can breathe underwater, bonus on swim checks and swim speed, can see better in murky water). I *migh* add a bit about needing to be in water once a day or lose a Wound (a bath is plenty), but that'd really restrict travel in some areas... the Badlands are on a strict timetable, for instance, and I don't think I want to do that. Makes sense, but PC-restrictive. Thoughts are certainly welcome!

NYGHTMARE

Another one that was problematic until I figured out that, like the Dreamer, Nythmare could hand out friends. Teddy bears (small ones, not teh big ones!), animated dolls, etc. I'm not sure if it should be a manifested power that "wakes them up" and lets them do stuff for an hour or if it should just be a Subordinate Character that can be easily replaced by buying a new doll/bear and having a good night's rest... in the morning, they wake up too! This works better than the early "reality waring" stuff I was poking at and is easier to grasp. Mind you, I expect more than a few players would flinch away from "Get an animated doll" but hey.

Still leaves Despair, Gorgon, Obliteration, Dragon, Witness, and Fortune to go. Fortune is probably just one of the good luck General Talents, and Despair is likely Terror check-related, but ... Gorgon? Dragon? Obliteration? Yikes. Any suggestions are quite welcome!

On 5/2/2021 at 7:03 PM, Wakshaani said:

NYGHTMARE

Another one that was problematic until I figured out that, like the Dreamer, Nythmare could hand out friends. Teddy bears (small ones, not teh big ones!), animated dolls, etc. I'm not sure if it should be a manifested power that "wakes them up" and lets them do stuff for an hour or if it should just be a Subordinate Character that can be easily replaced by buying a new doll/bear and having a good night's rest... in the morning, they wake up too! This works better than the early "reality waring" stuff I was poking at and is easier to grasp. Mind you, I expect more than a few players would flinch away from "Get an animated doll" but hey.

Still leaves Despair, Gorgon, Obliteration, Dragon, Witness, and Fortune to go. Fortune is probably just one of the good luck General Talents, and Despair is likely Terror check-related, but ... Gorgon? Dragon? Obliteration? Yikes. Any suggestions are quite welcome!

I feel the teddybear vibe from Nytime is brought about by the dreamer rather than Nytime, and a general manifestation of Nytime would be more the other nightmares rather than teddy bears. 

My Tyrant knowledge is lacking a little, so these may not be applicable powers, and my TTB knowledge os even more lacking...

Most of my knowledge of Witness is from Avatar Perdita, where I think she gained some insigth into fate (in game terms I think she was allowed to look at her fate deck). 

Gorgon I think had effects on M2E molly, based on her being animated by the Gorgons Tear soulstone, which if I remember was later used to Save Seamus. I wouldn't like to say what exactly her powers were, but from what I can remember of her description she looked like Medusa, so she might have some kind of paralyse power.

Obliteration is obviously the Tyrant associated with Tara, and has removing things from time as a common theme. Adding Glimpser the void as a trigger, or some time related trick, such as controlling initiative, or even getting a second activation.

Luck thief may work for Fortune, or you may need it toned down a little (prehaps a cost to activate it). 

Dragon is in Shenlong, and has been controlling the monks of the 5 rivers for a while that I can remember. You could look into the hostory for effects, or you could just consider the Chi mechanic that the monks have going on in M3 as an effect they could gain. 

I thought about other corrupted dream stuff for Nythmare, but they're a bit .. tricky. Alip isn't a word that rolls off the tongue well and I don't know how well "You can summon hungry sleep demons" works as a temptation so much as "I'll give you a friend to keep you safe" does. Maybe tho! Still early in the process.

Witness is going to be a pain. They've *barely* been mentioned and divination effects are always tricky. There's some crossover with Fate, unless you make it more rear-facing. Of course, "Hindsight is 2020" is a concept that's more Witness than Fate, so might be a better way to go. Not sure yet. This one'll take work.

Gorgon's got the Medusa thing going on, as noted, and is *very* manilpulative. Some kind of social ability? I'll have to dig through Molly, and to some extent Shamus, and see what's there. 

Obliteration is just a complete blank thusfar. Worse, in many ways, than Witness. Reactivate or the like is well outside the power curve for what I'd be looking at, but some kind of "Take 2 damage, gain Fast" thing maybe. *Maybe*.

There're two Dragons. One's from Earth and does the Kung Fu thing, the other's deeeeep in the Bayou but we don't know what she's up to yet. She's barely mentioned.I'll have to dive in a bit deeper to see what to do on this front. Coming along tho!