Collecting a faction.

Lady_Soria

Getting back into Malifaux after taking a break back in ME3 and I was wondering how you guys prefer to grow your collection, do you prefer to stick to a few Masters in a faction and some.minis that cover weaknesses or do you feel you need to collect all the Masters even the ones you don't like for whatever reason? 

I’ve just ordered my 15th or 16th master across 5 factions.

I go with models/themes first, which means I’ve got an average of three masters in each - give and take Dual masters.

I only play two of them on a regular basis, quite a few will probably never see a tabletop, some serve as loaners/intros.

And I never order a new keyword till I’m seeing the end of my current paint project. 

One year ago, I convince my girlfriend that we can get in to this game by buying only a master each...

Than I buy compulsively everything in factions (NB and Bayou)... But I don't plan to buy the master I really don't like (for their esthetic or their game play)... Unfortunately there's really few of them in those faction.

Than, recently I buy Nighmare Colette, because I love the sculpt and it's a cool painting project... But Colette seems really cool to play... And I got Rasputina in a bundle... so maybe the Arcanist are opening their arm to me 😋

And than, there's this new faction full of awesome models and overpower crew... I already NEED to have a Trex for Titania... How can I resist?

Reality check : my basement is full of seal boxes... and I'm waiting for my new order (with all the free puppets, maybe I could play Lady J... Her puppet self is really nice).

• Haha 2

I don't know how I ended up here but I like having 4 masters per faction. I'm certainly not a great player, so I couldn't manage to be good with all 8 anyway. 4 gives me the options I need while keeping it limited to few enough that I have an handle on how each of them play. I do like having all the versatile though.

Currently have the Viks, Von Schill, Leveticus, and Parker in Outcasts; McCabe, Misaki, Mei Feng and Asami in 10 Thunders, planning on getting Maxine and Anya in ES + a 4th I haven't decided yet.

I generally only collect the Masters that I like, or that have models in the crew box that I want (I wanted Silurids for Marcus, so bought Zoraida for example). This lead to a very eclectic collection at various points in my hobby (At the end of first edition I had 95ss of Resurrectionists models, and no resurrectionist master, and thats in old money, so about 150ss worth now). By the end of 2ed there was about 4 masters I didn't own because I didn't like them. My purchasing of new models has slown down this edition, but there are at least 6 of the explorers that look interesting, and once I can start going out again and playing I may well start gettign them.

There is no right way to do it. Nothing in a faction is so "must have" that I would buy it if I didn't like it. 

1 faction. Started with 3 intentional masters and no plans to collect others. Then I saw the Nightmare boxes and picked up 2 more Masters....

still no interest in the others of my faction because I simply don’t like the play style. If it doesn’t gel, then it simply won’t play well, even if it’s objectively “better.”