Recover Evidence and Bury

Mr. Crows

Question

Hey Good Morning All,

An interesting situation came up during a friendly game recently. My friend and I were playing Recover Evidence and in the GG 1 Ruleset it states: "If a model with an Intel Token would be Buried by friendly-controlled effect, the opposing player may choose for it not to be Buried."

I was playing a Seamus crew and my opponent was playing Dreamer. All of our non-insignificant models were carrying Intel Tokens. My Opponent decided to use Bandersnatch's "Crawl into Shadow" attack action, targeting the Nurse. It states: Attach the Shadow Lair Upgrade to the target, then Bury this model. . ." So, I chose for Bandersnatch to NOT be buried (since it was carrying an Intel Token). 

Our question is this, does the upgrade still get attached to the Nurse? I vaguely recall reading somewhere something along the lines of: "if a part of an action fails, the action fails" or something to that effect, however when we looked in the rulebook we couldn't find it.

Thanks for any help and clarification in advance.

4 answers to this question

Short answer - The rules say

"The model performs the Action’s effects, as stated on the card, in the order they are listed. If any of an Action’s 
effects cannot be resolved, they are ignored."

So strictly speaking if you choose to not allow the Bandersnatch to bury, then you end up in an unexpected place where there is a Shadow lair out and no buried Bandersnatch. This would basically mean your nurse would take 1 damage and injured every activation until death (either hers or the bandersnatches), and the Bandersnatch can't try and crawl into another shadow until the nurse is dead. But none of the other effects would work. 

(EDIT- As pointed out, the Bandersnatch could crawl into another shadow, but the upgrade would stay on the nurse)

I would have thought a better intent of the action is that you treat the failure to bury as an "unbury" for the purpose of the upgrade and so discard the upgrade, but I would suggest discussing it with your opponent before you finalise the crew, because its a rare situation, and can only come about if both players allow it to. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

21 hours ago, Adran said:

This would basically mean your nurse would take 1 damage and injured every activation until death (either hers or the bandersnatches), and the Bandersnatch can't try and crawl into another shadow until the nurse is dead. But none of the other effects would work.

Playing by these rules I don't think anything would stop the bandersnatch using crawl into shadow subsequently. I assume the attach part would fail if the upgrade is already attached to someone due to limited supply - but if you had lost your intel token then it could create wyrd effect of targetting one model and burying but actually effectively attaching to another.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Whilst it creates weird and not a very sensible/logical situations - I really like that it creates a choice for the opponent.

Maybe you stop to think if there's an oportunity by letting bandersnatch bury so you can carry the nest of inteligence somewhere else and you think that is going to work out for you better than carrying a weird upgrade for the rest of game 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️