Does anyone have a solid timeline?

Wakshaani

From Day Zero: the Breach Reopens until ... *vague hand flaps* today, a bunch of stuff has happened. Teh rise and fall of the Piper, the fall of teh Red Cage, that whole avatar thing, the period of Martial law, but also when the Latigo compound opened, when Riley was formed, what day Hoffman arrived, and so on?

The more solid information the better. There's a LOT of info scattered in teensy nuggets in, like, every book ever made, but if anyone has compiled it, I'd really be all kinds of thankful for a share. 

I think most "core" books have the main time line, covering the initial breech, the closing, the black powder wars, the reopening of the breech, and the stuff that happened including the red cage, and the Burning man (probably the 2 large events in malifaux that the general population will have noticed). The more recent the book, the longer its timeline is likely to be (and different systems based on differentworlds will have a different view of what is important. Th otehr side is not very interested in the Red cage, because it didn't have an Earth side effect, (other than cause Kitchener to try and make himself a tyrant...)

Some where out there there is a fluff Wiki, but I can't find it at the moment. Gmort did compile a lot of information GMorts Chaotica: Character Background Location Index but that is out of date now. 

Hoffman arrived early in 1st edition (Book 2 I think), I doubt you'll ever get a day, but there was a major Arcanist train Sabotage that day which caused Ryle Hoffman to suffer his injuries. It will have been Pre Red cage, but happened shortly before the rise and Fall of the Piper(they both were introduced in the same book.)

Short answer: there isn't a collected organized timeline in the wild that I have found.

Long answer: a few people have started collecting various forms of data and organizing it. I have been (very slowly) inputting every book Wyrd has published into my campaign for Realm Works. Once that is completed, I may be able to put that kind of a timeline together. But it won't be any time soon. 

• Like 1

Curses. I'll have to crack out my old books and start doing detective work. 

The first story in the main book I grabbed had a few clues ... Phillip Tombers is reanimated in July of Year ?, having died "A month ago", so in June. Molly Squidpidge had been a zombie for "several months" at that stage. Rasputina gets a book from tombers, then escapes, leaving Seamus with Philliip's head and Molly in Phillip's grave.

We later get to see Viktoria arrive on a train from Earth, talk to Leveticus, who'd been here before (as shown by his having business cards for his Malifaux shop on him!), but there's no time frame at first. But teh NEXT story has Rasputina (who passed them at the station as she was taking a train to Ridley) having the book in her hands and cracking it open for the first time, so we can deduce that this is happening the same day, or teh next day, as the first story.

So, yeah, I'll need to take some notes. Might have to crack this badboy on my day off. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hobby Wyrd said:

The TTB Core Rules has a timeline by year in "The History of Malifaux" section. The Reopening is on pg.22 and goes from there. It's not the most detailed with dates, but that may help? 

It's a start, but I was looking for more detail and a bunch of small things that the timeline doesn't cover. I mean, geeze, when I left for a bit, I'm not 100% sure we knew the governor-general's NAME. Getting a bit more detail past "The breach opened HERE, the Red Cage fell HERE," beynd what the book opening timeline has? Handy stuff, but possibly unknown to us. For example, when did the quarantine zones get, well... quarantined? When did Perdita first show up? When did Seamus murder his first victim? 

We may well not have answers to this stuff, but, I'm still *curious*.

5 hours ago, Wakshaani said:

It's a start, but I was looking for more detail and a bunch of small things that the timeline doesn't cover. I mean, geeze, when I left for a bit, I'm not 100% sure we knew the governor-general's NAME. Getting a bit more detail past "The breach opened HERE, the Red Cage fell HERE," beynd what the book opening timeline has? Handy stuff, but possibly unknown to us. For example, when did the quarantine zones get, well... quarantined? When did Perdita first show up? When did Seamus murder his first victim? 

We may well not have answers to this stuff, but, I'm still *curious*.

From memory, I think we got at least the Governor Generals surname from the Introduction to Kirai when his son got killed (Rising powers Edition 1 I think). One of the second ed books has a long conversation between Kitchener and Perdita about what Malifaux was like when they arrived. 

There is some extent that this sort of world gets a lot more interesting to play/run things in when some of these things aren't fixed.  You could run a TTB adventure where you wanted Seamus to have started being a killer when he killed his mother aged 5, or where he didn't become a killer until he crossed the breech aged 20.

And as you say, lots of this sort of little detail just crops up in the stories almost as an aside. You have to be looking for that detail to notice it sometimes. 

Moving through the next book slower than intended. (More stories!) ... the death of the Governor General's son, and the assrote dinteractions with said general, do not, in fact, drop his name in there. Even his dad is, "The governor-general won't like this..." Got to see Francis dead, buried, and avenged, and I'm currently digging through Colette's debut, the passing to her of the Leviathan's Eye, and the introduction of Hamlin (yikes!). 

No real dates yet, but gettin there...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not too much in the second book... Molly's timeline is still a bit messed up, but the *exact* date isn't important. We get to see that Francis was the name of the Governor-General's only son, but no mention of the GG's name, spouse, or potential other kids. Kirai gets introduced, as did Haemlin, teh Red Star, the Red Cage which ... you know, I always thought it did a giant meteor dive and CRASH into teh swamp, but instead it just sorta ... poofed. No impact, no explosion, nada. Then the ground collapsed into a sinkhole when all of that energy poured out of it. When December's physical form was killed in book 1, no big energy spike. When the Kythera portal was destroyed, no big energy spike, but the Red Cage was WILDLY out of control in terms of energy and I'm really curious as to why. There's a bit of timeline in there, but not enough to really work with. 

Book 3 starts with us getting our first hard date, however, with September 20, PF 114 (that's 1902) given for The Event, and that lets us work backwards to see when the storyline started (1901), and the sprinkling of dates that we have up until this point can be plugged in. Book Three (Twisting Fates) is crazy thick, so I'm guessing this one'll take a while to chew through. This and the next one would round up the 1st edition of the tabletop game, then I'll move on to the 2nd ed, before diving into teh RPG again. I don't own any of teh 3rd ed tabletop books, so if anyone wants to crub data and dates from those, it'd be much appreciated. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 1:29 PM, Wakshaani said:

When the Kythera portal was destroyed, no big energy spike, but the Red Cage was WILDLY out of control in terms of energy and I'm really curious as to why.

See the summary for The Event.  The Red Cage spiking into the ground didn’t set off the event because it got destroyed, it set off The Event because Plague had rigged it up as part of an ascension mechanism and that energy got released when the mechanism got trashed.

The same sort of thing happens to the Governor’s ascension mechanism at the end of the 2nd edition story line (when the governor loses control due to sabotage)—among other results, the Effigies break free of Zoraida’s control.

In other words, the spike from the Red Cage wasn’t the result of just destroying an ancient artifact.  If Plague had wanted to, he probably could have crashed the Cage into the ground and just wrecked it.  But since it had already collected power, that power had to go somewhere....

• Like 1

Yeah, getting to read this stuff with later understanding's been really interesting. Almost finished with the final book of 1st edition, reading the discussion between December and Rasputina, having just digested the talk between Zoriada and Levi... man. Lots of STUFF in there. 

On the plus side, we have an actual date for Molly's death, so it clears up some of the early confusion. Huzzah!

• Like 1