2021 Monthly Painting Challenge - April

Caedrus

I'm still in a bit of a rut when it comes to painting Malifaux, and my attempt to paint Abyssinians last month failed miserably. So instead, I'm returning to a favourite;

gNWArpJ.jpeg

Yep - it's time to get back to the Gibbering Hordes! I've just got these guys (Barbed Crawlers and Devouring Eel), plus some Yarazi to go before I've finished the Allegiance.  The colour scheme have for them is both fun and easy, so these should be a blast to get through. :)

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Caedrus said:

@Engorn:

So many gorgeous models in March and April. I like the almost pitted effect on the Golem’s metalwork. However, that Essence of Power. I would dearly love to know your magenta recipe. The saturation is just delightful. I also love the highlighting on the poison gamin. The shadows to highlights have a massive, beautifully-done contrast.

Let's see if I can remember the recipes... 

For the magenta, if I'm not wrong, it was a base of VMC 70.960 Violet and then it was highlights with different mixes of VMC 70.812 Violet Red, VMC 70.945 Magenta, VGC 72.013 Squid Pink and I think VMC 70.928 Light Flesh for the brightest parts. No exact proportions, just play with the colors on the wet pallet.

I didn't use it, but if you want an extra punch for the magenta, you can always use some VMC 70.735 Magenta Fluoresc. as a glaze.

The poison gamin's green I'm not totally sure of the base color (actually the shadows). I'm hesitating between VMC 70.823 Luftwaffe Cam. Green and VMC 70.850 Medium Olive. I would say it is the Luftwaffe Cam. Green (is a darker color so it should give more contrast with the later colors), but I'm not 100% sure. First light was with VMC 70.967 Olive Green and second light with VMC 70.954 Yellow Green (although, as I applied the color with the airbrush, is possible thatit was VGA 72.733 Light Livery Green, which is almost identical to VMC 70.954 Yellow Gree). I used VGI 72.090 Black Green to outline the shadows.

And I believe that's all... xD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for comments. I agree and got similar comments on the armor from my local group as well. I will probably work on other models before coming back to these, since they're tabletop ready (minus bases, which I'll batch do with the crew as a whole)

Still I think the comments will help with future models (and when I come back to these)

@LightningJuice, welcome to the Forum!

I feel I can say that we're a pretty informal bunch here. I can definitely say that it is a very supportive and constructive lot of people.
You're very welcome to take part in the Challenge (no hassle), and if you want and critiquing of your technique or work, just let people know and they'll happily do so.

Welcome!

Caedrus.

• Thanks 1

@Caedrus Liking the underwater colour palette also. Photos are super clear as well, water effect not withstanding. :)

I saw a pretty goodtutorial on painting water theme stuff you might be interested in. He basically uses masking and the airbrush to paint ripples onto the back of the model. It's meant to be reflected light, but could easily be the light passing through the water. 

It's here because embedding it makes it huge for some reason.

Underwater is a really cool theme but super hard to sell well. Think you're doing a really good job of it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guys, I don't know, I might just tap out on the Monthly Painting Challenge. The rest of my supposed play group just doesn't give a s***. We all bought out boxes last Summer, and so far I am the only one who has painted models. Half of them haven't even assembled their Core boxes, let alone showed any more interest apart from the initial interest that must have been big enough to spend a few bucks for said core boxes.

This just really kills my motivation to paint Malifaux models, and it certainly doesn't help that I started getting into another miniatures game which I will not mention...

So yeah. Looks bleak.

5 hours ago, Viruk said:

pandora-april-2021.jpg

Whoah, oldschool!

Also much better than I knew that model could look. Great job. 

@Maogrim No! Wait, we can change!!
Seriously though, that's a shame about your gaming group. I've always enjoyed the models you put up here so if you find yourself painting them for painting's sake it'd be great to see them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 3

Shame, @Maogrim. I always enjoyed your shared pics a lot.
Anything we can do to keep your motivation going? 

I have to confess that I didn't finished any model either so far. But I will try my best to at least fullfil my pledge for March. Wanna join, @Maogrim? Would be a pleasure and an honor.*

* consider it a polite kick in your butt. 

• Like 1

@Harlekin As mentioned above I've decided to try painting Youko next week, provided I still have a 30mm Cobblestone base left for her. So yeah, let's get our acts together, friend. 😃

Sure you didn't hand one in for March? We're in April already...

And sorry for being so fickle, dear friends. I find myself hard to bear sometimes as well. 

• Like 1