Suggested Master(s) for a Tabletop Newbie

grae

I've gotten the go-ahead to teach my partner Malifaux, which is exciting as I've always fancied the game and have some limited experience with 2E which I very much enjoyed. The newbie in question has some experience with miniatures-based boardgames, but nothing rivaling the depth of rules or unit-complexity Malifaux offers, and so I'd like to avoid overwhelming them. To this end, we plan on starting with very small Soulstone counts, and simplified encounters, but I still expect the wall of text Masters and their crews' cards present to appear daunting at first.

My question then, is: What Masters/Crews are the most straightforward in function, preferably with easily understood attacks, actions, triggers, and passives?

Any additional newbie/how-to-teach-Malifaux advice is also more than welcome.

Thanks!

I feel that the Fae crew (Titania) can be played fairly straight forward and doesn't have anything too insanely tricky in their rules.  I think Rasputina is also fairly straight forward. There may be better options and there definitely are other options.

I don't have enough experience with M3E to suggest those other/better options here, but you might want to look into crews that don't rely on 'engines' or multiple overlapping auras, or similar 'read multiple cards and remember all the interactions' crews. Summoners aren't necessarily hard, if you're not trying to learn the optimal engine to create the best & most efficient summons. Most models have some level of complexity, but keywords that keep their complexity within individual models might be easier to learn at first, over a keyword that requires a lot of interaction between their own models to work.

To be honest, I wouldn't even play with a master at first. I'd start with a henchmen + 3 identical minions for the first few games. That makes it much simpler. Then you can add a master on top of that when they're comfortable.

I find a lot of crews become pretty straightforward when learned this way, but would avoid anything too complicated like Zoraida.

• Agree 1

@Maniacal_cackle That is exactly what I plan on doing! (Especially because it'll help me space out our spending). I think it was a post of yours from 2019 that suggested that which convinced me of the approach. I'm mainly just struggling on figuring out which Crews (like your example of Zoraida) will be overwhelming when we eventually do scale up our lists, as I don't have a very intimate knowledge of all the different masters and their squads.

As an aside, I found your Malifaux Introductory Series Briefing in an old thread, and to my disappointment the file was no longer accessible. Is that still something you have available? (and if so, could you post/DM it to me? It sounded like an excellent resource for someone thats never taught the game before)

9 minutes ago, Cats Laughing said:

I feel that the Fae crew (Titania) can be played fairly straight forward and doesn't have anything too insanely tricky in their rules.  I think Rasputina is also fairly straight forward. There may be better options and there definitely are other options.

I don't have enough experience with M3E to suggest those other/better options here, but you might want to look into crews that don't rely on 'engines' or multiple overlapping auras, or similar 'read multiple cards and remember all the interactions' crews. Summoners aren't necessarily hard, if you're not trying to learn the optimal engine to create the best & most efficient summons. Most models have some level of complexity, but keywords that keep their complexity within individual models might be easier to learn at first, over a keyword that requires a lot of interaction between their own models to work.

Excellent suggestion about avoiding positioning-synergy-heavy crews! And thank you for the suggestions of Titania and Rasputina; I've not looked at their or their crews' cards, but I will now!

2 minutes ago, grae said:

@Maniacal_cackle That is exactly what I plan on doing! (Especially because it'll help me space out our spending). I think it was a post of yours from 2019 that suggested that which convinced me of the approach. I'm mainly just struggling on figuring out which Crews (like your example of Zoraida) will be overwhelming when we eventually do scale up our lists, as I don't have a very intimate knowledge of all the different masters and their squads.

As an aside, I found your Malifaux Introductory Series Briefing in an old thread, and to my disappointment the file was no longer accessible. Is that still something you have available? (and if so, could you post/DM it to me? It sounded like an excellent resource for someone thats never taught the game before)

Unfortunately I've wiped my computer since then, so lost all those files!

But for Gaining Grounds 1, here's two scenarios that are pretty easy:

First: Corrupted leylines on corner deployment with only 3 strategy markers (forming a line between deployment zones). Assassinate as a scheme.

Second: Public enemies on standard deployment, choose 1 of 2 schemes (claim jump or sabotage).

As for masters... Maybe see what your partner is interested in in terms of factions/masters, and we can narrow it down. It is a bit tricky to recommend beginnger crews as there are probably 20-30 that work, and so it is best to get an idea of what your partner likes first.

3 hours ago, grae said:

My question then, is: What Masters/Crews are the most straightforward in function, preferably with easily understood attacks, actions, triggers, and passives?

I think I'd let them pick out the crew they think looks coolest. The starter boxes are pretty neat in that they include a henchman and three minions. Generally that means you could run them in Henchmen Hardcore and/or low point games with a Henchmen leading. 

Even the most complex crews are a lot more manageable with only 4-5 models in the table. The soulstone system is pretty ideal for slow growing up to the 50 point standard. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4