Getting started with Bayou

Shagwell

I'm looking to get started with Malifaux and Bayou aesthetic caught my eye.

I'm looking at the pigs units and am in love. So I think that means I need to get the Ulix starter box.

In priority of mandatory to optional, what should the next buys for Ulix be?

Same goes for Mah Tucket.

I'm hoping there's some interfaction crossover with the pigs and purchases. Thanks

Ulix is the only Bayou Master I don't own so I'll let someone else suggest how to get into him but Mah I know well.

So the starter for Mah gives you a solid set of models - you will seldom take all three of the Bushwhackers but they are fine Minions and fun to play.

Now, I'd say that your next purchase should either be Rooster Riders giving you three very solid damage dealers or Bayou Engineering which gives you three fine Minions and two useful Enforcers. Roosters aren't very durable but hit extremely hard and are super mobile while the Bayou Engineering is more durable but hits less hard and less mobile.

For Scheming Mah can get Soulstone Miners from Arcanists. The hickup here is that they come in a box with two Saboteurs that you won't be able to use so it might be an idea to keep your antenna up an old box of just the SS Miners or for someone selling theirs.

Finally, there's the Weird Science box which comes with three cheap and weird Minions that are strangely durable and Big Brain Brin who is a very good support Henchman.

As for which Pigs are useful with Mah - Gracie is a good fit for both Ulix and Mah and Mah can also make use of The Sow who is in general a solid out of keyword hire in Bayou. But other than those there isn't all that much overlap in my experience. Ulix is quite forcused on Pigs so other than Big Brain Brin (whose card manipulations really help Ulix) he probably isn't taking any of Mah's stuff, either.

As for versatiles, our Emissary is a really superb tech piece against Marker heavy crews and both Mah and Ulix can utilize him. Otherwise there isn't anything super important in the Versatiles.

Finally, Mah and Ulix have very distinct playstyles and cover each others' weaknesses well so they are a good pair in that regard.

While I've not played Ulix yet (he is my lock down project) the main thing you will want are;

Mudlight Whispers Haulers (healing) & Whisperers (obey) 

Making Bacon Sow & Piglets (summoning) 

War pigs (charge!) 

I don't think Squealers are vital but can provide some ranged options for the crew. 

As mentioned above Gracie and the Emissary are useful to have and if they work well with Tricksy you may want to put them at a higher priority

23 minutes ago, Bobsnextdoor said:

While I've not played Ulix yet (he is my lock down project) the main thing you will want are;

Mudlight Whispers Haulers (healing) & Whisperers (obey) 

Making Bacon Sow & Piglets (summoning) 

War pigs (charge!) 

I don't think Squealers are vital but can provide some ranged options for the crew. 

As mentioned above Gracie and the Emissary are useful to have and if they work well with Tricksy you may want to put them at a higher priority

Squealers are a good buy if you plan on trying the Ulix "grow" list. Effectiveness of said list is up for debate at a competitive level (signs point to no), but it's definitely a fun time, and Squealers are the smallest model you can jump straight to a War Pig from.

• Agree 1

@Morgan Vening: Ulix grow is probably the most competitive Ulix list imo (I'm still relatively new to this master, so maybe I missed something).

I started by playing Elite Ulix (maxing on war pigs with IC) and honestly it's just disappointing. Than @Insomniakwulf introduce me to Ulix grow : I was really impressed. It is super strong, sending wave of pigs missile to your opponent while scheming with incredible mobility.

As other summoners, you'll need the full minions range to play Ulix : Piglets, Squealer, Wild boar and War pig.

Those are mandatory (especially since you have to grow from one to the other).

You'll also need the Sow (most likely) and slop hauler (and maybe whisperer). 

Gracie is a nice option and a great versatile in Bayou, so you'll end up wanting her as well, but she's not mandatory. 

Ulix is not the cheapest master to get in to and he's kind of hard to play (a lot of aura, pseudo obey and actions). He also kind of do his thing, so not a lot of OOK options for the other keyword (the sow can be useful as the occasional war pig). But he's an amazing master with a unique playstyle. 

Finally pigs are great but unicorns are the best 😂

• Like 2

Ulix needs all Pigs except Gracie (but Gracie looks to cool not to buy one) and Hog Whisperers. I don't like Slop Haulers, but they are in the same box with the Whisperers anyway. 

For a grow list you'll also need a Bokor and Zoraida, if your meta allows hiring additional masters.

2 hours ago, SEV said:

@Morgan Vening: Ulix grow is probably the most competitive Ulix list imo (I'm still relatively new to this master, so maybe I missed something).

I was just basing it off what I've seen and heard from players with much more experience than me.

A 2-3 War Pig (2 with Inferiority Complex for Bully) + Old Major and a few support pieces for obey/heal, seemed to be the most common "best take".

Not as fun, IMO, but if I played for wins instead of playing for fun, I'd be disappointed a whole lot more. :) My fun rate is almost perfect. My loss rate similarly so.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Morgan Vening said:

I was just basing it off what I've seen and heard from pkayers with much more experience than me.

A 2-3 War Pig (2 with Inferiority Complex for Bully) + Old Major and a few support pieces for obey/heal, seemed to be the most common "best take".

Not as fun, IMO, but if I played for wins instead of playing for fun, I'd be disappointed a whole lot more. :) My fun rate is almost perfect. My loss rate similarly so.

Well, now you know that you can have both the fun and the competitive side of things : grow pigs are like mini wheats 😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Morgan Vening said:

It looks like an "all in" list. Warpigs are glass cannons - they run, they kill, they die. Or just die if you lose initiative and your opponent has enough firepower. Without backline engine to bring new warpigs when the first wave dies Ulix runs out of models quickly.

• Agree 1