RCT 15: Facing Neverborn!

And we're back with the community threads! As always, this thread is for everyone - new player or experienced player alike! Let's help each other improve our game!

For our Community thread this time, we're going to take a detailed look at what to do when facing Neverborn!

Some questions to get the discussion rolling, but feel free to add your own.

• Your opponent has declared Neverborn and you've declared Ressers - what are you thinking as you pick which master to declare?
  • What do you do about master X, Y, or Z?
  • Are there masters that are particularly brutal against our faction?
  • Are there some rough matchups we should be aware of?
  • Are there some good matchups we should try to capitalise on?

Some of this is going to be pool-specific, but let's try to pull out some general advice for Neverborn and some specific advice for specific matchups.

Bonus points: If you're playing against Neverborn, please post here about it! Would be great to get some real world examples into the thread.

• Like 1

I think Neverborn is an interesting one. On the one hand, they usually dominate in melee and we are hard to dominate in melee. On the other hand, they have a lot of 2" engagement ranges which absolutely wreck us xD

Zoraida I find I can usually keep up with on the scheming front with Molly or Seamus even. Just don't take Dead Rider against her, as it is really hard to get good value out of Rider (since you have to spend all the tokens when obey goes off). Butterfly jump is a massive pain, though!

Dreamer I haven't had a chance to play against yet, but in GG0 I think we could really focus on out-scheming him. Now I think we might have to be a bit more aggressive?

Nekima I think is one of the hardest matchups for Ressers. Min 3 beaters are really good against us, it is one of the rare crews that is far more mobile/map control-based than we are, black blood is really good against us, and all the 2" engagement ranges are just brutal. I'm still working on the Nekima matchup xD That said, I have had some great success with blunting the alpha strike then spamming projectile vomit + one more questions to just grind the crew down to a halt.

Titania I've never found to be too much of a problem. Just take a lot of stuff that can bypass the severe terrain, and we can blunt her alpha strikes a bit.

Pandora - never had too many problems since we can dance around the bubble, but I've never played against the hardcore "throw Pandora into the middle of the enemy crew early in turn 1".

Euripedes - haven't played the matchup, but I imagine that a lot of the issues with Nekima will apply here. May be a surprisingly rough matchup?

And of course, ruthless! We used to be quite spoiled for Ruthless with Archie, but now we have to be a bit more considered. We can grab it on our upgrades, of course so that's nice! Reva in particular synergises with Killer Instinct, so that's a consideration.

Just now, unti said:

When playing against Neverborn I always think about our terrifying models. In NB are only 2 ruthless models... Carver and Hooded Rider

Ooooo, this is a great point. Some Neverborn have really good willpower, but even willpower 7 terrifying can start to hurt. I've definitely won games to my opponent not flipping their terrifying checks xD

So you know my POV: The Neverborn masters I play the most against are Pandora and Dreamer. My main crew are Transmortis, Tormented and I started to play Ancestors.

I very much agree that Terrifying and Ruthless are important abilities I make sure to have, especially against Pandora and Dreamer. If necessary with GST. You don't need it on each and every model, but it's handy to have on your important models.

The turn#1 Pandora rush rarely was a problem for me. This might be because both my most played crews are very mobile. Especially Transmortis, but Tormented can be as well if you use Hanged and some of the teleportation abilities of the crew. Therefore, I spend turn 1 to deal with Pandora and used my mobility to get where I wanted to be turn #2. It gets tricky though, if she survives past first activation turn 2. Same if you play a slow(er) crews, but I simply haven't done that yet.

Expect to play against Serena Bowman in many NB crews. I tried to play around her, but success was... questionable at best. Including options to scapel her out worked better for me until now, as difficult as it may be.

I agree with maniacal, against Titania it usually works well enough to ignore her terrain schtick with Incorpreal, Unimpeded, etc. Resser has more than enough access to that. Otherwise, her crew is pretty basic. I think, with their new Dinosaur addition, they can build a surprisingly punchy crew, but Ressers also has enough tools to keep them busy when necessary.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:
  • Your opponent has declared Neverborn and you've declared Ressers - what are you thinking as you pick which master to declare?
  • What do you do about master X, Y, or Z?
  • Are there masters that are particularly brutal against our faction?
  • Are there some rough matchups we should be aware of?
  • Are there some good matchups we should try to capitalise on?

Hello death people. I'll give the view of an average NB player if you don't mind (crew I play : Dora, Dreamer, Titania, Nekima, Mama Z). 

You have access to a lot of Rutheless because of your upgrade. I'll keep this in mind (but in the right pool Dora can still do the job). I'll try to maximize my min 3 beaters and stuff that ignore incorporeal against Kirai and Daw...

Because of that Dreamer is good even though I must be careful with your Rutheless models. 

I honestly prefer to go with Titania aggro than Nekima against Resser. Yes your incorporeal models will ignore my terrain tricks, but she's and her crew are way more durable. I can also keep up with your mobility. I would go with my base crew of Emissary, Rider, Rex, Serena. A lot of range 2" and min 3 beater (except for the Emissary, but he has other use). 

I will bring Dora only in a scenario skew toward the centre (hopping to not face Daw since I think he as a better bubble). Top priority: keep your rider dizzy... Beside that, you'll have to come in at some point. Messing with your activation order with Dora will be key. I'll have to models (Carver and Dora) to eat any focus stack and 2 models with ruthless (Rider and Carver). 

On the other hand, I'll bring Mama Z for an off centre scheme heavy pool. My main goal will be to not be tie down in melee with you (expect Silurid and TFM). But Mama Z + a Healer + a tar pit should be enough to keep you busy while I'm scheming if you choose to go for her. 

So Dreamer/Titania will be my go to (depending of the scenario/map). Dora for anything killy and skew toward the centre. Mama Z for anything schemy and off centre. I guess Nekima can have her moment in an off centre killy pool (but I'm not super experimented with her and as I said I tend to go to my default pick in such a pool).

Matchup wise :

I don't like to see Seamus when I play Dreamer.

I don't like to see Daw if I play Dora. Schtook can be a problem as well. 

I don't like to see Kirai here if I play Titania. 

Mama Z : didn't play enough against resser (I guess she can have a hard time against Molly).

Nekima : didn't play against resser enough, but I guess that anything that is tougher than her and can keep up with the fight will be tough. Especially if you have the speed to follow us around.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

@SEV why don't you like Seamus for Dreamer? I guess the one-shotting Serena is nice, and if you set it up with Emissary she doesn't even get to demise xD

I didn't play much againdt Seamus. But he has a lot of ruthless. And him being able to one kill your key pieces (including dreamer if you're not careful) is a real problem for my style of Dreamer (elite; maybe it's easier when you play lucid spaming).

• Like 1