first game of dreamer review(edit +1 game this morning)

ooshawn

8 hours ago, ooshawn said:

Do people take IR on LCB or just use positioning to make him do work and stay safe

I generally look at Chompy as expendable. He is made of wet paper, and chugging expensive upgrades will only make the loss bigger. 

Of course, I want him alive, but I keep him thus by sending him out to hunt schemers. Dreamer’s death ball tarpit minions can hold most things back, while dealing out the pain. Then I bring Chompy in, when things get grindy and you need a little extra punch. 

He works especially great with Insidious Madness. Combining mass Terrifying with healing from failed Wp will demoralize most opponents. The hand pressure vs your hot deck just wears them down - incidentally my Henchman Hardcore Nightmare consists of :

Chompy, 2 Insidious Madness, Serena. 

They’ve only ever been beaten by Huggy and friends. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Glad you're enjoying it.

You keep mentioning as Chompy slingshot. What was that, and how is it it different from Chompy's current teleport on Dreamer?

History lesson time! (also known as old dinosaur talks about the good old days...) Feel free to ignore

Lets set the Scene- Its first edition. Only masters get to use soulstones and they are crazy powerful but inconsistent. (When you spend a stone on a duel you get to flip another card after you cheated and add that card to your total.) All masters have the standard 2 actions, a bonus action, and each Master also has an extra action of some form. 

The Dreamer is the Bury master of the game. You may have seen those summoning questions about "do you need to pay the soulstone cost of a model that you are going to summon?" well that's sort of how the dreamer worked. You could start with his whole crew buried (You literally could start with only the dreamer on the table), and the dreamer has an action to unbury them somewhere near him. (6" I think). The Dreamer /Lord Chompybits are both masters, but with a twist, you're only allowed one on the table at a time, but they both have ways to bury themselves and unbury the other. They are also restricted to taking 3 normal actions between the 2 of them to try and tone down the fact that you got an extra model for free. 

The Slingshot itself was Activate the Dreamer, walk 7" use his casting expert to cast a spell, use his bonus action to unbury any nightmares within 6" of him, chain activate Chompybits who could then use 2 normal actions, his melee expert and then after all that his bonus action to bury, unburying the dreamer 6" away from where he was, hopefully safely in the mass of nightmares he bought with him. 

Chompybits attacks included triggers such as Onslaught and Execute, and you could declare a trigger on each action, so it was possible for Chompybits to get 3-4 attacks from 1 action thanks to onslaught (and good use of stones), and he had decent damage tracks on those actions. 

I think you had a threat range of around 20" from where the dreamer started, and then could have your master model 8" away from where the fight took place surrounded by friends with the ability to pass off hits. Chompy had very few defences, but there was no need  for him to ever been on the table during an opponents activation if you didn't want him to be. 

I can't remember what the second edition tactic was, but I think it had the name of chompy slingshot, because that's what the first edition tactic was called, and we seem to be very unimaginative about renaming things even when they are changed, but in the second edition Chompy was a Summoned model, so you could leave him in the midst of the enemy crew to take the damage, knowing that killing him didn't do much, because you were going to summon him again next dreamer activation...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

xD epic.

Yeah, everything I hear about past editions has me thinking "wow, M3E is relatively balanced" xD

Its different.

First edition was very Swingy, you didn't have the consistence that you see in later editions, but when things worked they really worked (The Mei Feng combo chart  to help you work out how many different actions you could take each action as long as you hit the trigger was fun and very street fighter 2 feel). But you could get turns where Nicodem was unable to summon anything because he couldn't get the crows in hand and even when he used his low crows with a stone, he'd flip to low a card to reach his TN. And the challenge of the summoners was trying to make sure they could get enough corpse/scrap markers to summon off of. Many a ressers first turn involved the mass mutilation of canine remains to be able to turn those corpse markers into better models. 

On the whole the game was relatively balanced (with a degree of you each get to do game breaking stuff, its who gets to do it better than wins) with the better player typically winning, but there were games where Luck just totally ruined you day or made your crew sing so well it was unbeatable. It was a very cinematic game, rather than a game that was designed to be a tournament game. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

First edition was ... STUPID FUN.  sometimes you're master was just a GOD. that's how I like masters to feel, and why I was kinda sad that they are hireable/balanced against minions.  Second edition I think kept most of the good and tossed out the real crazy stuff. Third definitely feels like a polished, this game is designed to have tight math and be played in tournament. Where model power is relatively not as wide, so theoretically skill and tactics I suppose represent a larger portion of victories.