Neverborn starter box hopes

santaclaws01

All should be versatile, but if the enforcer and henchman have a keyword as well, then some holes can be plugged (assuming the box is henchmen+enforcer+two minions).

Fae, mimic and savage only have a single henchmen.

Mimic and savage only have a single enforcer.

Not sure what to do about minions - I'd like more puppets or half-bloods. Some tech picks for neverborn are probably most useful, but I'm not experienced enough to say what.

As Savage and Fae both did get something with the arrival of the Explorers, I am not sure if those two will get something. 

I really like the idea of expanding the Half-Blooded Keyword although I have no idea what to add to make it relevant. Could be a nice Henchman-based crew, though if they get some demon-ish hounds/winged bats-of-doom as minions and a surprisingly new enforcer and trickster Henchman. 
It would still be Half-Blooded and probably not much on the competitive side of Malifaux but would allow an easy entry to the versatile side of Neverborn (Starter+Half-Bloods+Hinamatsu+Hooded Rider ~ 100 bucks (roughly) in your FLGS). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrPieChee said:

All should be versatile, but if the enforcer and henchman have a keyword as well, then some holes can be plugged (assuming the box is henchmen+enforcer+two minions).

Fae, mimic and savage only have a single henchmen.

Mimic and savage only have a single enforcer.

Not sure what to do about minions - I'd like more puppets or half-bloods. Some tech picks for neverborn are probably most useful, but I'm not experienced enough to say what.

While Mimic does have only the single Henchman, as Lucius is the Master with that Keyword, he does have access to two Henches.

Though I do like the idea of @extremor 's. Having more Neverborn side Lucius would be good, though I'd be more concerned about him dragging them over to Guild.

Definitely think Savage probably needs a bit of a boost. I like the idea of a support soothsayer type, playing to the foresight aspects, maybe with a bit of Yamaziko or Toshiro flavor, that boosts the Minions, rather than yet another bruiser. 

Is there something I'm missing as to why a Keyword would matter for any Masters besides Marcus and Lucius? I mean obviously it increases the odds of the model being synergistic in some manner, but as these are Versatile strictly speaking the only reason to give a Keyword would be to let Lucius use that model Guild/Marcus in Arcanists.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Azahul said:

Is there something I'm missing as to why a Keyword would matter for any Masters besides Marcus and Lucius? I mean obviously it increases the odds of the model being synergistic in some manner, but as these are Versatile strictly speaking the only reason to give a Keyword would be to let Lucius use that model Guild/Marcus in Arcanists.

I like having keywords (in addition to versatile) as it lets them be a bit more future proofed.  Like, for instance, if a NB keyword got shouting order (say savage) a versatile savage starter could take advantage of it when hired into that keyword.  Keywords also open up keyword abilities as possible things on a card so like a woe versatile will probably have some form of opportunist / misery (and I doubt a non-woe keyword model would have those).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The Bayou Starter hasn't been fully spoiled, but so far that box has:

(?guess) = guess on my part

Rooster-rider : Henchman (?guess), Jockey (assumed), Tricksy (?guess), versatile

Rabbit-rider : Enforcer, Jockey, WizzBang, versatile

Tree-rider : Enforcer, Jockey, Swampfiend, versatile 
Pig-rider : Enforcer (&guess), Jockey (assumed), Pig/Sooey (?guess), versatile

Given that. It seems completely reasonable to have multiple keywords in the Neverborn box. Alternatively, the Explorer box has only one model with a keyword other than versatile, so it's also possible it will go that route and have 1 or no keywords.  It looks like the outcast box is versatile Outcasts with an Explorer keyword on all of the models.  At this point I have no guesses, but once we see pictures of the box I think the speculation will be quite interesting.

15 minutes ago, Azahul said:

You just answered your own question. It increases the odds of the model having synergy with the crew. Zoraida drawing LOS from Swamp fiends for example. 

As this is a Wishlist I would love to see Collodi versatile henchman - but like I say this is total wish-list.

Outside of that - definitely more Half-Bloods would be cool - I really like Bloodwretched models so anything that might lift them so I can put them down on the table more often would be cool.

• Like 3

I wish for more versatile puppets. I think it's a nice aspect of NB and without a dedicated master (Colodi can stay dead imo, its DMH seems busted), puppets could be the glue of the NB faction (sorry but HB are failing at that task and I don't think a full box of HB  versatile will help to redeemed all the actual bad HB models we already have).

On the other side, I could see a NB all-stars box : 1 fae, 1 Nephilim, 1 Woe, 1 savage (nightmare have more than enough stuff, Lucius and Marcus are no real NB, Z already got a fig in the Bayou starter). 

• Like 3
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

Just had a thought for the minions:

Steelclaw Stinger - the creature the arcanists scorpius was made from.

They could basically have a watered down scorpius profile. More poison in a Marcus crew might be a nice alternative. A minon to help shut down soul stones and triggers would a useful tech piece for neverborn.

If you take the scorpius card, drop armour, adaptive evolution, the feeding, reduce strike stat to 6(or5?) then reduce cost to 5ss? Might have to lose an hp or two as well.

10 minutes ago, Roadhouse said:

They could buff Luci via dope ass starter Mimic models

They certainly could, and selfishly, I'm all for that. Lucius is a wonderful Master. He is not, however, a Master I'd recommend to a new player, because he can be so complex. I'd worry that giving all the starter box models the Mimic keyword would send new players towards him as their first master and that's a heck of a learning curve. 

It seems like the best thing to do from Wyrd's perspective would be to have keyword overlap with four different crews. One Nightmare, one Nephilim, one Fae, one Woe (because they're all such popular crews).

Maybe a band of Neverborn that have their own take on the Neverborn. Perhaps especially violent extremists that want to remove all humans from Malifaux by force?

• Like 1

Just now, Roadhouse said:

IDK that I would call Neph or Woe popular, Nightmare and Fae certainly are as they're top 3 of NVB. Nightmare is already large in the faction and Fae got Rex from EXS release. Neph is missing a second hench and has no enforcers so I could see it.

Really? Everyone I know that has gotten into Neverborn looks at Woe and are like "those models are awesome!!"

Most times I've seen someone start Neverborn, it is for one of those four crews.

Definitely not popular with experienced players, but for new players I think they have a lot of appeal?

The Bayou starter box has a swampfiend model in it, so I don't think they're shying away from "complex" crews for the boxes. Also maybe evidence they're favoring dual faction keywords if you're looking for that. In neverborn (and removing swampfiend since it's in the bayou box) that could mean Elite/Mimic, Chimera, Nephilim and Qi and Gong? The last option would be funny.

And we know the Outcast box is all Syndicate so even another option is a hench that doesn't have any current Neverborn keywords.