Waldo's Weekly - Upcoming June Releases

Kyle

Cool upcoming products. 

But, as you're probably aware of, a lot of Malifaux players are eagerly waiting for GG2 and FAQ... Could we have an update on this?

Thank!

Edit : I actually take the time to look at the new sculpt. Taste are personal, but I'm quite torn about EVS : tidecaller and harata are awesome Bebe and especially Calypso are quite meh for me (I hope Calypso is at least bigger than it look... if it's not we'll have an new size gate).

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Axelst said:

When can we see the rules for the Outcasts starter box models? When the box is released?

These are the June Releases. 

I don't know if they are going to show use the models in a preview before then, but I'd expect the cards to be released on the app/webpage around the end of June. 

• Like 1

Yannic and Brawler look great, one rifleman is fine but yeah, the other one is holding the rifle in a really really weird way.

Harata looks a bit skinnier that I thought he would but is otherwise fine. The girlpooner is very cool, the guypooner looks somehow imbalanced. And why does the Tidecaller have those pipes attached to his nipples?? Also, his pose from the waist down looks strange.

I love the Moorwraiths and Grave Goo looks like Goo so I dunno. Not a huge fan of the concept but it is what it is. Still, this box kinda cements Seekers as the best looking Explorers crew. Really high quality for the whole keyword!

Beebe is cool but Calypso looks quite featureless (and tiny but I really hope that's just an effect of the renders).

Spelleaters look phenomenal and Archivist is fine - the concept really doesn't lend itself to being spectacular. Still, this is one of those sculpts that might look way better in the flesh than in the render like Von Schtook, for example.

Edit: Are they milking a water elemental? Is that a thing?

Edit2: "Spring water? Psssh! Mineral water? Bah! Tidecaller milk! Now that's the type of water that a truly discerning Society member drinks when they need to drive later!"

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Kyle said:

Since the launch of M3E, Gaining Grounds has moved to a more flexible 'seasonal' format rather than releasing in a specific window. This allows us to to make more rapid changes if we need to (as we saw with Gaining Grounds Season 0 to Season 1), as well as take the time needed to ensure that any new Strategies or Schemes are fun, challenging, and engaging. We also want to make sure that the content is played, which isn't the case for everyone when it comes to Season 1. 

While lots of players have played with the Strategies and Schemes of Gaining Grounds Season 1, there are still plenty of others who haven't had the same opportunity, thanks to the global pandemic. I understand that Season 1 might be wearing a little thin for some, but we appreciate everyone's patience as we all navigate this play-at-home space. 

If you're looking to mix things up in the meantime, why not give some of the seasonal Schemes a shot? 

These are all available for free or as print-on-demand on WarGameVault. 

There will be a Gaining Grounds Season 2 and an updated FAQ. We'll have more information about them when we're ready to launch those.

Soon!

I really like this response, thanks Kyle! This reminds me of a question I've scratched my head about for a while: Is there any way the seasonal encounter additions could be added to the app? Given a large amount of the community uses the (amazing) app for tracking their games, the biggest trouble I and other locals have had with playing these encounters is simply that we forget about them because we all make games in the app, and they aren't options there. Just wondering out loud, thanks again for the answer on Gaining Grounds!

• Agree 7

I'll beat the drum on the pre-assembled model starter boxes again. Would love to see these models in plastic because there are more than a few that I really want to add to my collection.

Is the Cadmus keyword the first one that's had the master box released after another keyword box? Not complaining, just interesting timing. Or have I missed the Cadmus preview? Curious to see what those renders look like.

5 hours ago, the tick said:

I'll beat the drum on the pre-assembled model starter boxes again. Would love to see these models in plastic because there are more than a few that I really want to add to my collection.

Is the Cadmus keyword the first one that's had the master box released after another keyword box? Not complaining, just interesting timing. Or have I missed the Cadmus preview? Curious to see what those renders look like.

To be fair, Archivist is the most commonly used 9-cost Versatile in the Faction :P 

15 hours ago, SEV said:

Edit : I actually take the time to look at the new sculpt. Taste are personal, but I'm quite torn about EVS : tidecaller and harata are awesome Bebe and especially Calypso are quite meh for me (I hope Calypso is at least bigger than it look... if it's not we'll have an new size gate).

Calypsos size does seem... Off? To me. And the box is priced in a manner that actually kinda makes me think it will be smaller. 

40 minutes ago, Adran said:

I don't think we know how closely related they are, but they are certainly from the same family, but took very different paths

In the Explorer's Society book, the Maxine and EVS story by Mike Wallace covers Harata's relationship with Mr. Ngaatoro.

It's also just a really fun story, but maybe I'm biased. 😄

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Kyle said:

In the Explorer's Society book, the Maxine and EVS story by Mike Wallace covers Harata's relationship with Mr. Ngaatoro.

It's also just a really fun story, but maybe I'm biased. 😄

I knew I should have rechecked that story, not just their bios. Although looking at it Maxinne suggests a relationship, but its not confirmed by either Ngaatoro. 

17 hours ago, Korrok said:

Calypsos size does seem... Off? To me. And the box is priced in a manner that actually kinda makes me think it will be smaller. 

It is only a 50mm base for the model.  It's probably going to be subject to a bit of "practical vehicle scaling".  😕

2 hours ago, solkan said:

It is only a 50mm base for the model.  It's probably going to be subject to a bit of "practical vehicle scaling".  😕

I'd normally expect that, but they make all the other size 4 models blow out past their bases as if we used 80mm. Was expecting something along the general size of chompy or the Rex. 

• Agree 1

On 3/17/2021 at 4:49 PM, Kyle said:

Since the launch of M3E, Gaining Grounds has moved to a more flexible 'seasonal' format rather than releasing in a specific window.

Sorry to hear that. Having an actual date for actualization, FAQ and errata was IMHO one of the greatest things from Malifaux. We could hope for some buff/nerf and actual changes. Our Hype was growing firmly under control. 

Now, as with any other company. We have no idea of when some things are gonna be adressed (or if there's gonna be any issue adressed). 

A bit sad I think. 

I imagine the last year has presented challenges all around. I would hope that once things start to settle again they may return to a more regular timeline, at least for FAQ and errata. That may be different from the past though. 

GG I hope they keep flexible a bit so that changes can be made to address bad schemes/strats more quickly. I hope we at least get one a year though. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2