The Captain as a versatile hire into Hoffman

Essexkiwi

The answer really depends on you as a player. 

How much do you customise your lists based on the table and the opponents?

Do you stick with a largely fixed list and just make slight changes from game to game, in which case Captain is probably not going to give you much benefit over Joss and Howard and so will almost never get picked. 

Do you create a new list every time from scratch? And are you happy to play models when you haven't had much practise with them? In which case you might hire him in on some occasions, such as when you are very worried about shooting crews, but you would probably be looking at him showing up in well under 10% of your games. (unless you have a regular opponent who is very into a shooting crew). 

Personally I like having the options, and don't object to owning models that I rarely get to play with, so I'm happy to have him, but that is a collection I have built up over 10 years.  (I think I tried to use every model I owned in 2015, and failed, despite playing over 60 games across the year, I've bought more stuff since then...). I wouldn't recommend him as an early purchase for a hoffman player, but if you like the sculpt and want to use him, you should.  

• Like 1

The captain isnt a bad model he's a tech pick. E. G a model you bring in certain match ups, for example vs perdita/orphelia/parmer/seamus however as outside of seamus these don't tend to do massive hits of damage he isn't likely to do much in a Hoffman crew, more likely to just be taking lots of 1 points due to the mass armour 2 in Hoffman, he's much better on a non armoured crews where middle of the storm can save vs damage 

His shockwaves are great vs bubbles though and we don't have a lot of shocks (captain, Willie and fire Golem I think are our only shocks) and 2in melee is real nasty vs gunfighter 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dannydb said:

His shockwaves are great vs bubbles though and we don't have a lot of shocks (captain, Willie and fire Golem I think are our only shocks) and 2in melee is real nasty vs gunfighter 

Sabateurs and Fitzsimmons totally have Shockwave attacks they definitely get to use. 

Plus Snow Storm, and Angelica who have shockwaves that arent garbage and are models that definitely dont want to be doing anything else.

And finally there's Raspy who is a completely valid master and is taken OOK all the time. 

• Haha 1