Special edition box cards (like Wild Ones)?

So I'm finally assembling my Wild Ones box, and I noticed the cards are noticeably inferior to the rest of my cards. They're thinner card stock, less glossy, etc.

Is this standard for special editions, or just the Wild Ones, or am I just unlucky? Combined with the lack of artifact cards coming with the box, and it seems like a minor disappointment. Granted, cards don't really matter that much, but when paying such a high premium for the special editions, it'd be nice if the quality was the same and you got just as many cards/just as high quality as the regular boxes.

All that said, I can imagine that there's certain logistical challenges with creating a viable product that is going to have less sales overall, so can imagine they have to cut a few corners somewhere to offset the low volume of sales.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, solkan said:

I think the issue is that it would be easier to invade Britain than it would be to get consistent quality (card thickness, gloss levels, etc.) between two print runs of cards, even if you manage to stick with the same producer.  :(

Haha, very true.

It is a bit disappointing because the overall quality on these is quite low.

But super stoked with the set in general. And it was super easy to assemble!

I don't have the wild ones set (well I do, but pre-m3e so 2nd edition cards), but have you bought any cards from wargame vault and if so are they similar to the cards in that set?

Since I've bought a bunch from there, the wargame vault ones are definitely different quality from the 'usual box cards' so that may be it (aka maybe since the limited were smaller runs, maybe they got the cards from wargame vault instead of from the usual (I assume over seas) vendor).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, muraki said:

I don't have the wild ones set (well I do, but pre-m3e so 2nd edition cards), but have you bought any cards from wargame vault and if so are they similar to the cards in that set?

Since I've bought a bunch from there, the wargame vault ones are definitely different quality from the 'usual box cards' so that may be it (aka maybe since the limited were smaller runs, maybe they got the cards from wargame vault instead of from the usual (I assume over seas) vendor).

Never had any wargame vault ones. I'd post some photos, but it is hard to convey the feel of the cards with a photo xD

10 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Never had any wargame vault ones. I'd post some photos, but it is hard to convey the feel of the cards with a photo xD

Hehe I get it. Wargame vaults are a bit smaller and feel non laminated, so is prolly what you're dealing with.  I sleeve so end of the day there's no difference to me but definitly feel 'cheaper' before I sleeve.