Mah - Tricksy crew - painting log

Mike_Skadog

10 hours ago, Brushgit said:

And you didn't even reach peak Bushwacker experience yet. The sitting one and the one with a brush crown on her head are the ones causing the most difficulties. But you will manage 💪

Far from an easy build... 

I assembled in the years tons of plastics, hundreds of ww2 soldiers with separate arms/rifles/pouches...

Nothing compared to these bushthingies with separate leaves and awkward positons... 

Anyways they are now ready for the primer 💪

IMG_20210311_191741.jpg

The hat looks great and the pumpkin patch is such a great idea for basing.

Maybe you should reconsider the green tinted hairs as they pose the only real cold color in the minis and create a bit of "restlessness" or "scattering" combined with all the warm tones

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Brushgit said:

Maybe you should reconsider the green tinted hairs as they pose the only real cold color in the minis and create a bit of "restlessness" or "scattering" combined with all the warm tones

The idea is to paing black hair a bit like the artwork, so that's supposed to be the base for a greyish/black final color, but I agree I'll change it to something warmer. Thanks for pointing it out!

14 hours ago, Brushgit said:

Today i've changed the dress to a more interesting rosy/brown pink. Getting familiar with the blend :)

IMG_20210317_141624.jpg

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, Harlekin said:

Green Gremlin Hell. This might become my favorite painting thread on our forums here. Maybe it is already. 

Great work! 

Thanks!!! There are much better painted ones around, but I'm trying my best 😅

Now a week end off for family duties be back painting Monday! 💪

• Like 3

Quick and rough update. 

I have spent last few days batch painting the bushwackers plus trixibelle... They will be finished soon.

Taking proper pics will be an hard ine, as they all have weird poses and i have to find a way to direct the light to the faces under those hats...

IMG_20210324_164234.jpg

• Like 6

14 hours ago, SEV said:

The pond hat with the Pelican is a stroke of genius! Good job (just assembling those little buggers is a feat to be proud off and your paint job is good).

thanks,

I have to say I'm failry new to painting Malifaux, on a side I love the fresh look of the minis, on the other some smaller details (like the teeth on the gremlins) are very hard to pick, the usual technique is paint the whole part one color then wash it and maybe a small point of highlight, here the teeth are not only small but not very carved into the model and by washing you basically paint the whole bit brown. and no matter what type of wash you use, can be acrylic, ink, wash... 

not a massive problem, but the face is usually the focus point of the miniature, and blurring it out doesn't help the overall clean look

I dunno if it make sense.

4 hours ago, Mike_Skadog said:

but the face is usually the focus point of the miniature, and blurring it out doesn't help the overall clean look

I feel you. Those little bugger have really little details...

For the face, I always try to pick eye brow and the nose. Purple/red for the lips, the tongue and the eye to ad distinctive spots. As you said, it's near impossible to pick the teeth individually, so a wash really help here. Finally a small spot of light in the eyes help a lot to bring life to the face.

Here's is a super close-up to illustrate what I'm doing (hard to be super smooth but by picking just a few details I feel that brings enough definitions).

20210326_101041.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1