neverborn Rating(my own personal ratings for me only)@18 games in

ooshawn

Overall - Most  Of the keywords are just hot garbage except I think the dreamer/ zoraida for certain, and I think nekima/marcus in my personal opinion. All in all I just do not get the same level of enjoyment out of lucius and pandora as I did in second edition. 

marcus - 7/10? Dope, seen other people play him. I like him in theory. 

Lucius - 3/10 situationally amazing, mostly for stuff involving scheme markers not in the opponents deployment zone, pretty mediocre for everything else. not sure if just ook investigators are just  better.  His thematic crew is so squishy. I don't think he excels at a single strategy, only some schemes. 

Titania - 6/10? I like her in theory. I think she would be good at stuff like recover evidence or something. Not too sure where she really shines above any other option.

Nekima -  7/10 just reliability(comparatively) in  a nut shell. You have you're numbers in front of you , you just have to leverage them in a smart way, to make stuff happen. Good at several strats, and schemes. 

The dreamer - ? - no clue, I hear he is broken.

Euripidies 0/10? - no clue, Looks like garbage to me on paper. I probably wouldn't play this crew even if you paid me.

Zoraida 10/10? seems like the overall best master to me in theory. good at most of the strats and schemes. 

Pandora 5/10 Against crews with lowish wp and higher model count, this crew is STUPID fun to play. Open the box and fears given form is like christmas every turn. But the fun dies shortly after that. seems okay at a few schemes, maybe 1-2 strats.  so many things heal in this edition and killing things by pinging them to death feels like a pipedream. Realisticly the crew plays like just tying things up and then scoring because pandora and candy are being annoying . Crew is just hard countered by several crews

• Like 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 2

Oh this is probably coming across as a objective rating on how I think these really are rated for everyone. Nooooo. Please don't think I'm saying that. This is just my own personal enjoyment factor. Just my own little thought blurb as I progress with the faction

• ooshawn changed the title to neverborn Rating(my own personal ratings for me only)

This doesn't reflect on anyone but myself and how I view things as they stand, for me . i'm happy to talk about my thoughts though. that's mostly the purpose of this post. to start dialog. It's 11pm est, and I'm pretty bored. family is asleep, might as well talk about something I'm passionate about.

My ratings goes :

Dreamer 8/10 : He’s fun, plays very thematically as the nightmare intensifies and rolls over your opponent like a tital wave. A little simple, but..if he got to be tricksy as well, he’d be unstoppable. And he’s got such an iconic model range.

Pandora 12/10 : Bringing the depression is a blast. The slow ping-damage and the small pushes just turn in to an amazing amount of control. She just squeezes the life out of your opponent, ever so slowly while they realise that resistance is futile.

Lucius 7/10 : Malifaux is the only game, where rules lawyering is an integrated part of it - with wigs and masks. How cool is that? Sadly I’ve only played Lucius once before the plague struck - in Guild vs Shenlong, so that wasn’t a great experience - but Lucius seems like a great excuse to get some Nephilim. The humour and grotesque parody of the crew is hilarious. His two henchmen need a serious resculp though... one’s a master assassin who poses like an awkward teenager - complete with oversized cosplay GW knives and flowing Matrix coat. The other is just a boring model where the sculptor got so bored, he even forgot to put a strap on his bag. The false witnesses on the other hand...hilarious.

Zoraida 3/10 : A real witch from a swamp, that is SO cool. But sadly most of her keyword is just meh. I’d love to get her and Juju, but then the appeal stops.

Nekima 4/10 : daemonic wampyres, that ought to have some potential, but its all just humanoids with bat wings and horns in various sizes that fly. And Nekimas sword looks like something she won for a World of Warcraft cosplay event. I’ll probably get her if only to have some OOK nephs.

Titania 2/10 : Where I like Zoraida for the master and not the crew, its the other way around for Titania. Her crew’s got a great non-elfish evil fae thing going on, but her own model is a winged girl in a torn dress. She really needs an alt sculpt that says “my liege” before I get on board with her.

Euripides 3/10 : cool models....but like Nekima, there’s too little variety for me. Pandora brings me everything from a wee baby to a giant scarecrow, Euripides brings a bunch of primitive hulking brutes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

I very much associate malifaux with the dreamer. I don't think his teenager appearance is as enduring as the child though you know? Every person with kids can get attached the idea of a little kid running around exploring their imagination. To me the teenager just feels ....lesser. the keyword is so aesthetic, just so good looking. New chompy is kind of ugly. I strongly prefer nightmare lcb

Lucius feels like my second favorite neverborn master and his models are incredible. I feel like lucius could use a premium alt. Also agent 46 yes, he needs something. Alan reid sculpt.. I like quite a bit

Yes ,titannia needs more alt sculpts and I think maybe just more models need premium alts

I do feel like pandora is the funnest neverborn master playstyle for me and yes she by far has the best sculpts . Her avatar is in front of me every day   

Savage keyword looks incredible , but I don't like how their crew reads on paper. "Sorry, not sorry"

Nekima....what must I give for a ten inch tall floating masterpiece precariously balanced on a 50mm base 

Zoridas keyword aesthetics are booty. I don't care for that model range at all. Silurids and juju, are just not pretty. 

Collodis keyword is so aesthetically pleasing. Every model is amazing

• Like 1

• ooshawn changed the title to neverborn Rating(my own personal ratings for me only)@18 games in

Kiddy Dreamer is definitely one of the greatest army concepts ever. He and Seamus are by far the most iconic Malifaux posterboys in the game. And I’m really glad, I got the old M2 version.   

Also for Lucius - I just didn’t dare miss out on those two Lawyers. In general I’m pretty disappointed in M3 sculpts.  I think only Yan Lo is on par with his older version. 

• Agree 2

On 3/9/2021 at 8:28 AM, Regelridderen said:

My ratings goes :

Dreamer 8/10 : He’s fun, plays very thematically as the nightmare intensifies and rolls over your opponent like a tital wave. A little simple, but..if he got to be tricksy as well, he’d be unstoppable. And he’s got such an iconic model range.

Pandora 12/10 : Bringing the depression is a blast. The slow ping-damage and the small pushes just turn in to an amazing amount of control. She just squeezes the life out of your opponent, ever so slowly while they realise that resistance is futile.

Lucius 7/10 : Malifaux is the only game, where rules lawyering is an integrated part of it - with wigs and masks. How cool is that? Sadly I’ve only played Lucius once before the plague struck - in Guild vs Shenlong, so that wasn’t a great experience - but Lucius seems like a great excuse to get some Nephilim. The humour and grotesque parody of the crew is hilarious. His two henchmen need a serious resculp though... one’s a master assassin who poses like an awkward teenager - complete with oversized cosplay GW knives and flowing Matrix coat. The other is just a boring model where the sculptor got so bored, he even forgot to put a strap on his bag. The false witnesses on the other hand...hilarious.

Zoraida 3/10 : A real witch from a swamp, that is SO cool. But sadly most of her keyword is just meh. I’d love to get her and Juju, but then the appeal stops.

Nekima 4/10 : daemonic wampyres, that ought to have some potential, but its all just humanoids with bat wings and horns in various sizes that fly. And Nekimas sword looks like something she won for a World of Warcraft cosplay event. I’ll probably get her if only to have some OOK nephs.

Titania 2/10 : Where I like Zoraida for the master and not the crew, its the other way around for Titania. Her crew’s got a great non-elfish evil fae thing going on, but her own model is a winged girl in a torn dress. She really needs an alt sculpt that says “my liege” before I get on board with her.

Euripides 3/10 : cool models....but like Nekima, there’s too little variety for me. Pandora brings me everything from a wee baby to a giant scarecrow, Euripides brings a bunch of primitive hulking brutes. 

This is honestly a pretty weird review. On one master it seems you are reviewing the rules and on the next it seems you are reviewing the aesthetics?

I have had a lot of discussions about Neverborn with my local meta and I feel they are in a pretty off spot in m3. They are definitely not weak, but the internal balance in the faction is not very good. Dreamer is a lot stronger than all our other masters and our keyword models are often worse than our versatile models which are very strong. It should be the other way around. 

Dreamer: cool and thematic design, extremely fun to play and his keyword synergizes nicely with each other. Sadly he is just too strong and outshines all our other masters. I can think of no situation where I wouldn't pick dreamer if I was only playing to win.

Zoraida: most likely our second strongest master. She has a lot of cool tricks and her keyword models are mostly very solid and fills various roles. 

Euripides: way better than people give him credit for. Lots of flexibility in the crew and some strong keyword models that synergize well with the crew as a whole. I believe people make the mistake or playing him as a melee beater which he is not, but he is very good at shutting down zones with his pillars. Could be my personal favourite to play in m3.

Pandora: she got changed a ton during beta testing for m3 which i feel really shows in her final design which I think is fiddly and since her keyword auras dont stack, you are often penalized for playing heavily in keyword. Candy however is completely crazy and has the means to win the game on her own if the other player doesn't have an answer for her. Often outshining Pandora herself in that regard. Sadly the rest of her keyword is just not that good. 

Lucius: cool master, but sadly most of his keyword models are just too squishy and he is stronger ordering around a pair of black blood shamans/mature nephelim than he is with his actual keyword.

Titania: Titania herself is extremely strong and much more so than she first seems on paper. Sadly her entire keyword is resoundingly "meh" and she is much better with our good versatiles than with fairies

Nekima: very strong master who actually wants to play in keyword. Her play style of bunching her entire crew up the first round to have black blood shamans attack friendly models and then pulse out infinite focus does feel a bit gimmicky and unintended though.

Marcus: Marcus might have my pick for worst master in the game. His crew is crazy card hungry and his playstyle of handing out upgrades to his models would only be cool if it made those models better than other models, instead of just making them on par. Once Marcus is done handing out the important upgrades his purpose disappears and he is often running around scheming, which is not the most exciting use of a master.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, esqulax said:

I have had a lot of discussions about Neverborn with my local meta and I feel they are in a pretty off spot in m3. They are definitely not weak, but the internal balance in the faction is not very good. Dreamer is a lot stronger than all our other masters and our keyword models are often worse than our versatile models which are very strong. It should be the other way around. 

Dreamer: cool and thematic design, extremely fun to play and his keyword synergizes nicely with each other. Sadly he is just too strong and outshines all our other masters. I can think of no situation where I wouldn't pick dreamer if I was only playing to win.

Zoraida: most likely our second strongest master. She has a lot of cool tricks and her keyword models are mostly very solid and fills various roles. 

Euripides: way better than people give him credit for. Lots of flexibility in the crew and some strong keyword models that synergize well with the crew as a whole. I believe people make the mistake or playing him as a melee beater which he is not, but he is very good at shutting down zones with his pillars. Could be my personal favourite to play in m3.

Pandora: she got changed a ton during beta testing for m3 which i feel really shows in her final design which I think is fiddly and since her keyword auras dont stack, you are often penalized for playing heavily in keyword. Candy however is completely crazy and has the means to win the game on her own if the other player doesn't have an answer for her. Often outshining Pandora herself in that regard. Sadly the rest of her keyword is just not that good. 

Lucius: cool master, but sadly most of his keyword models are just too squishy and he is stronger ordering around a pair of black blood shamans/mature nephelim than he is with his actual keyword.

Titania: Titania herself is extremely strong and much more so than she first seems on paper. Sadly her entire keyword is resoundingly "meh" and she is much better with our good versatiles than with fairies

Nekima: very strong master who actually wants to play in keyword. Her play style of bunching her entire crew up the first round to have black blood shamans attack friendly models and then pulse out infinite focus does feel a bit gimmicky and unintended though.

Marcus: Marcus might have my pick for worst master in the game. His crew is crazy card hungry and his playstyle of handing out upgrades to his models would only be cool if it made those models better than other models, instead of just making them on par. Once Marcus is done handing out the important upgrades his purpose disappears and he is often running around scheming, which is not the most exciting use of a master.

I agree with pretty much everything you said there. They really tried to simplify things and get rid of problematic interactions and Everything to me just feels "lesser now". like it was designed by people that don't play these mechanics at all. Like pandora's auras not stacking. Lucius getting card advantage where a the game is entirely based on AP economy, having auras that matter for only scheme markers where most of the schemes are not marker based,  which is why leap is almost entirely unbalanceable. Having a strange not quite functioning staggered sub theme. Euripides cyclops not having a book built in, but also being completely outshone by geryon for 1 more point. Dreamer not being able to throw slingshot chompy, but his only skill is shittting out a enormous army and pushing you off the table.  This to me looks like a game based on a open beta to be quite honest. It shows

. My review was just whatever random thoughts about those masters hit me before bed though. not much thought into it

I'm enjoying third edition, I will say I like it quite a bit less than second. the core rules are crisp and feel like a refinement. However they've spent 2 editions catering to casuals and people who are too lazy to play a single crew long enough to remember their abilities. I can't speak for other factions, but neverborn rules just feel overwhelmingly like they were rushed to push out some good models, and then dozens of just worthless ones or ones that are just too simple in concept like the dreamer

Models that straight up need meaningful changes now -  aversion, marcus, Lucius, angel eyes, bloodwretch, bultungin, corrupted hound, cyclops, lelu+lilitu. Dreamer, lyssa, maurice, pandora, poltergeist, razorspine rattler, sorrow, terror tot, teddy, thoon, tuco , waldgeist, 

Guild investigator, agent 46, alan reid 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ooshawn said:

Models that straight up need meaningful changes now -  aversion, marcus, Lucius, angel eyes, bloodwretch, bultungin, corrupted hound, cyclops, lelu+lilitu. Dreamer, lyssa, maurice, pandora, poltergeist, razorspine rattler, sorrow, terror tot, teddy, thoon, tuco , waldgeist, 

I very much agree, the only one I might argue with is Lucius. I feel it is more a problem with his crew than him. Agent 46 understandably had his "no cheat" ability changed, but they really should have given him some buffs at the same time to not make him terrible.

I agree, agent 46 is just garbage for a 9ss scalpel. He does nothing of interest. I have no idea why you would pick him over a BBS+IR, which is the same price, but gives your entire crew +1 -2 focus and a mature nephilim+upgrade. He needs a ram built in and stat 7. if he goes in, he needs to be able to kill something, not just lightly tap it on the shoulder

24 minutes ago, ooshawn said:

I agree, agent 46 is just garbage for a 9ss scalpel. He does nothing of interest. I have no idea why you would pick him over a BBS+IR, which is the same price, but gives your entire crew +1 -2 focus and a mature nephilim+upgrade. He needs a ram built in and stat 7. if he goes in, he needs to be able to kill something, not just lightly tap it on the shoulder

Once you replace you lose IR I believe.

1 hour ago, ooshawn said:

the way the game is played in this GG1, agent 46 will absolutely die if he engages the enemy team, and he's likely only able to take out dirt cheap models

Judging by the forums "the way gg1 is played" is mostly...poorly.

If you're having a scrum in the center of the board one of the two of you is playing bad Malifaux. You both think you're the beatdown and one of you is wrong. 

Lucius is bad in a head-on engagement so focus on fundamentals, work the terrain to your advantage, bully your opponent's schemers, win on points. 

• Like 1