Reva - playing aggainst Victorias and Misaki

KOX

Just from top of my head: Anna Lovelace can shut down Viktorias' placement and Misaki's unburying (and she's a good addition to Reva anyway). Carrion Emissary can slow them down a bit with coffins (you can place a coffin on top of Misaki's shadow marker). Anyway, it's not easy for Reva to survive hard pressure.

I have no experience with or against Reva but I play the Viks a lot. It looks like Reva herself should do work against Mercenary, but the rest of your keyword is not well suited to fighting them, relying on htw for defense isn't great against min 3 damage. Wanyudo is a neat model but bad for this matchup where multiple models can keep up and kill it.

If you're trying to fight them head on, you need to set up a wall of pyre markers and chaff models, let a Vik kill a shield bearer (which could easily take all 3 ap) and then punch back with Reva off the corpse marker. That's a trade you'll take all day.

Ashigaru and Flesh Constructs are good tech picks to tar pit mercenary models. The dead rider is generally amazing and should be no different in this matchup.

If it's a pool where you spread out, I think this matchup is just going to an uphill battle for Revanant, but sounds like that isn't your problem, it's just getting punched in the jaw. In general, you want to draw the fight out as long as possible. The Viks want fights to go fast. Get in, kill, get out. You need to make them stand there and turn it into an attrition game.

I don't believe you can place coffin markers on shadow markers, because they are created. From memory, created markers cannot be placed on other markers (which makes corpse markers and coffins a real pain to juggle).

You can however destroy them, because shadow markers are destructible. Even a corpse candle or mindless zombie can walk up to a shadow and destroy it. So worth investigating that.

With the Viktorias, I've played that matchup a ton, although my opponent will be different. I find the grave golem frustrates them greatly, since it offers a big tank-y thing to engage/beat them, but they can't spend time killing it or it takes up too much of their time for no gain. You definitely want to keep your distance, and use hurl corpse or carrion emissary to get your corpses in place. Throw some corpses at them, then Reva can charge and attack. Usually one of their frontline models gets killed by Reva in a single activation, and they can't penetrate too deeply or your whole crew pounces them.

Dead Rider is also super good here, since they can't really successfully chase it down. Their crew does not like his ultimate of 2/3/4 at all, and the extra melee trigger is also great.

My standard Reva list for reference:

• Reva & Candles
  • Dead Rider
  • Grave golem
  • Bete Noire
  • Bone Pile
  • Shieldbearer
  • Restless spirit

The Restless spirit helps get corpses up field for the bone pile and Bete noire, and the rider can ride with me the spirit. It's a crew that can pick its battles. Note against an optimised Outcast list this doesn't work very well (since they just bring Tara's anti-bury models), so in tournaments I don't declare Reva/this list against Outcasts.

Outcast don't like Terrifying, so I'll definitely bring a Shieldbearer with the upgrade GST.

The Emissary is great to block charge lanes and prevent the Vikis to charge you, and the same with Misaki (remember what @Maniacal_cackle said about not being able to create the coffins on top of the shadow markers).

Watch out for Outcast for anti-healing tech, that could really put some pressure on Reva's playstyle (someone like Marlena for example).

Misaki is way trickier to stop. She has great mobility and she can come up with a ton of different lists. Misaki, Ototo and Fuhatsu can kill Reva in a single activation, so be careful and try to use your extra range to your advantage.

Toshiro and his Ashigarus are the best bodyguards for Reva. Toshiro adds some extra healing that can happen outside of Reva's activation and his Ashigarus will protect her vs charges and can help with Take the Hit.

Misaki can also stun a bunch of your models if you're playing too "bubbly". Ototo also puts slow, so a Bone Pile can really make the difference here (I like them with GST).

On 3/8/2021 at 7:43 PM, thatlatinspeakingguy said:

Just from top of my head: Anna Lovelace can shut down Viktorias' placement and Misaki's unburying (and she's a good addition to Reva anyway). Carrion Emissary can slow them down a bit with coffins (you can place a coffin on top of Misaki's shadow marker). Anyway, it's not easy for Reva to survive hard pressure.

Would you consider Anna in other crews against misaki too? (I'm thinking with kirai or another crew where she isn't fitting in nicely like in a Reva crew)

2 minutes ago, unti said:

Would you consider Anna in other crews against misaki too? (I'm thinking with kirai or another crew where she isn't fitting in nicely like in a Reva crew)

The thing with Anna and Misaki is that Anna can prevent placement in a certain area, but Misaki will easily outmanouver her at some point. Anna synergizes well with Reva, so even if her aura becomes less relevant, she can still do many usefull things, like detonate candles or tank (she's really hard to take down with Reva's healing), and Shieldbearers can always push her 6" to lock another marker. In Urami things are a bit different, as Anna needs to rely entirely on herself. I did use Anna with Urami against Mei Feng in Flank Deployment and it worked out splendidly well, granting me some massive victory, but a) it was Flank, so Anna's low speed wasn't that problematic, and b) Mei and her scrap markers are a bit more predictable than Shadow markers, so it was easier to respond to them.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2021 at 8:09 AM, Maniacal_cackle said:

I don't believe you can place coffin markers on shadow markers, because they are created. From memory, created markers cannot be placed on other markers (which makes corpse markers and coffins a real pain to juggle).

You can however destroy them, because shadow markers are destructible. Even a corpse candle or mindless zombie can walk up to a shadow and destroy it. So worth investigating that.

With the Viktorias, I've played that matchup a ton, although my opponent will be different. I find the grave golem frustrates them greatly, since it offers a big tank-y thing to engage/beat them, but they can't spend time killing it or it takes up too much of their time for no gain. You definitely want to keep your distance, and use hurl corpse or carrion emissary to get your corpses in place. Throw some corpses at them, then Reva can charge and attack. Usually one of their frontline models gets killed by Reva in a single activation, and they can't penetrate too deeply or your whole crew pounces them.

Dead Rider is also super good here, since they can't really successfully chase it down. Their crew does not like his ultimate of 2/3/4 at all, and the extra melee trigger is also great.

My standard Reva list for reference:

• Reva & Candles
  • Dead Rider
  • Grave golem
  • Bete Noire
  • Bone Pile
  • Shieldbearer
  • Restless spirit

The Restless spirit helps get corpses up field for the bone pile and Bete noire, and the rider can ride with me the spirit. It's a crew that can pick its battles. Note against an optimised Outcast list this doesn't work very well (since they just bring Tara's anti-bury models), so in tournaments I don't declare Reva/this list against Outcasts.

Don’t tell them all your secret anti Viks tech! Ssssshh!!!!

• Haha 1