Outcasts in MARCHing Explorers

ShinChan

44 minutes ago, Azahul said:

I'd just be a bit worried at how easily the Viks might give up strategy points, and with Leveticus getting Alyce to the middle of the table on that terrain set-up seems tricky. But yeah, those are certainly some options :D

You can't put strategy tokens on the Viks. It's non-master

By the topic title mentioning "Explorers" I thought this thread was a hint about the new Syndicate Outcasts being revealed in March, am I wrong on that? I wanted to find when to expect the reveal to plan my Syndicate review, so asking here before I start a new thread

1 minute ago, Whut said:

By the topic title mentioning "Explorers" I thought this thread was a hint about the new Syndicate Outcasts being revealed in March, am I wrong on that? I wanted to find when to expect the reveal to plan my Syndicate review, so asking here before I start a new thread

It is about the Vassal series this month (March Vassal Series), but understandable mixup!

Not least because the conversation actually veered that way for a bit when we started discussing Outcast Versatiles!

Bayou and Outcast starters are up first, but I'd guess we still have three weeks until our first hint at the Outcast starter. Wyrd has been previewing one Bayou starter model per week and still has two to go. Probably indicative of a July release date if I had to make a call, assuming June is Bayou and that's why they're being previewed first.

• Like 1

Wedge deployment, Recover Evidence, Outcast opponent?  Isn't this why Wyrd invented Jack Daw? 

Outcasts are already one of the factions with the least options to play into Daw, and the schemes aren't bad.  I think Catch and Released is a bit dumb, but damn Hanged are a good minion to pick for it, and he can happily pull of Leave Your Mark and Hidden Martyrs and even Vendetta.  You could do like Prospector/Jaakuna for Hidden Martyrs if you wanted, leave the Prospector towards the back with an evidence token and have them dig while Jaakuna earns you evidence until they finally kill her. 

Probably just the standard though,

JD/Ligia/Monty/Jaakuna/2xHanged wSODP/Guilty

If they play Viks into that in Recover Evidence it's actual suicide, and even Leveticus isn't a fan.  You can lure Alyce through her own pit traps, and he's gonna be card shy.  Hamlin is bubble wars 2.0, probably gets really messy really quickly.  But Drowned does mass slaughter rats.

• Agree 1

Agreed. Hamelin or Daw would absolutely be my pick for all the above reasons. My personal preference is for Hamelin mostly because Hamelin is always my preference :D I'd be a little worried about playing into Hamelin as Daw, since Pustulent Tumours rips big holes in Daw's crew quite quickly and gets past basically all the defensive tech (ignores Incorporeal and Terrifying and is annoyingly inefficient to reduce damage on Daw), but Wedge Deployment and the terrain gives Daw a leg up I reckon. That specific match-up is definitely a possibility though, since your opponent may well be considering Daw too.

I don't really think you can go wrong with either Master though. 

• Agree 1

Oh yeah, no question Hamlin is irritating.  If I see Hamlin I probably have to flex in Marlena Webster and a Drowned.  Normally Marlena is overkill in a Daw crew (you don't actually want Daw to be completely unkillable) but here it probably makes Tumors just much less efficient at knocking out Big D.  Although then I have to actually make Marlena move about in that terrain... (maybe she just sits on the center and scores me Leave your Mark).  Hamlin has a bunch of auras and stuff that bypass Terrifying and then you can spend your few cards you do have on smashing through Bleeding Disease on key models because it's the attack so nice you don't need to spam it...

Eh, probably comes down to what you have more experience with though, I'm p. sure an experienced Hamlin player OR an experienced Daw player wins easily in an experience imbalance, since they're both insanely irritating masters that can ruin you so fast you don't even understand it (oh Hamlin, you dirty rat bomber). 

• Like 1

In my case, it ended up being Jack Daw vs Parker (me), with the obvious result for my opponent (win for him).

My list was:

• Parker + Wanted Criminal
  • Doc Mitchell
  • Sue
  • Mad Dog
  • Hodgepodge Emissary
  • Marlena
  • Hans

My opponent's

• Jack Daw + Servant
  • Montresor
  • Hanged + Servant
  • Jaakuma
  • Effigy + Upgrade
  • Guilty
  • Dead Outlaw

Luck was not in my side (flipping RJ twice just to meet the TN on the healing action of the Emissary and another time against the Hanged, so it counted as BJ). I did a couple of mistakes and my opponent knew how to take advantage of them. I had a terrible hand in turn 2 (bad enough that I failed 2 attacks with Parker in Jack Daw due to Terrifying and couldn't cheat to pass it). My opponent played way better than me and after that shitty turn 2, he just snowballed ending the game in a 8-0.

My takes on the game are:

• Parker still feels like he's in the bottom for Outcasts masters (maybe with the Viks, but I don't play them and only faced them a couple of times)
  • Wanted Criminal actually worked this time. Usually my Parker tends to get stunned or using Stick Up more than shooting, but this time it drew me 6-7 cards.
  • Hans is garbage. I knew it, I've tried him many times. Some people keep saying they get a use for him, but I've played him like 10 times, the only time he did something meaningful was because my opponent forgot that Gokudos are HtK. He's definitely not worth 8ss. Not being able to disengage easily is also a problem on him.
  • I regret not bringing Taelor. As a ruthless model, she would have been good to deal with the terrifying while bein min 3 and stat 7. Also the 2" push and the 2" melee range would have helped me to get score 1-2 points and deny my opponent 1-2 (not to win for sure, I was completely outplayed).

I should have trusted my instincts and play Hamelin, but I though my opponent was going to play Hamelin (he was great for the pool) and I hate mirror matches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ShinChan said:

In my case, it ended up being Jack Daw vs Parker (me), with the obvious result for my opponent (win for him).

My list was:

• Parker + Wanted Criminal
  • Doc Mitchell
  • Sue
  • Mad Dog
  • Hodgepodge Emissary
  • Marlena
  • Hans

My opponent's

• Jack Daw + Servant
  • Montresor
  • Hanged + Servant
  • Jaakuma
  • Effigy + Upgrade
  • Guilty
  • Dead Outlaw

Luck was not in my side (flipping RJ twice just to meet the TN on the healing action of the Emissary and another time against the Hanged, so it counted as BJ). I did a couple of mistakes and my opponent knew how to take advantage of them. I had a terrible hand in turn 2 (bad enough that I failed 2 attacks with Parker in Jack Daw due to Terrifying and couldn't cheat to pass it). My opponent played way better than me and after that shitty turn 2, he just snowballed ending the game in a 8-0.

My takes on the game are:

• Parker still feels like he's in the bottom for Outcasts masters (maybe with the Viks, but I don't play them and only faced them a couple of times)
  • Wanted Criminal actually worked this time. Usually my Parker tends to get stunned or using Stick Up more than shooting, but this time it drew me 6-7 cards.
  • Hans is garbage. I knew it, I've tried him many times. Some people keep saying they get a use for him, but I've played him like 10 times, the only time he did something meaningful was because my opponent forgot that Gokudos are HtK. He's definitely not worth 8ss. Not being able to disengage easily is also a problem on him.
  • I regret not bringing Taelor. As a ruthless model, she would have been good to deal with the terrifying while bein min 3 and stat 7. Also the 2" push and the 2" melee range would have helped me to get score 1-2 points and deny my opponent 1-2 (not to win for sure, I was completely outplayed).

I should have trusted my instincts and play Hamelin, but I though my opponent was going to play Hamelin (he was great for the pool) and I hate mirror matches.

Oof, that sounds like a rough game all around.  Glad that Wanted Criminal did some work for you, though!

• 3 weeks later...