Titania - New Player

FlippingWeak

Morning all, 

Been trawling the forum and looking at Titania pages but I have to admit, as a new player, it looks a little confusing. What I can get from it is - 

Aeslin is not overly liked but situationaly brilliant? What would you take instead of her?

Bultungin are not rated at all - what would you bring in instead? Changeling on tax?

I have her Core box, Killjoy, Doppelganger and also the Changelings. But unsure what to add next - or if I should perhaps seek out an additional henchman style model.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I agree you should get the Emissary, and even though bultungin are pretty shelf fillers, you get Rougarou in the same box, so it's worth getting. And if you can get your hands on it, I haven't yet, the Malisaurus Rex is also a very good model with Titania.

Edit:

I don't really see the value of bringing changeligs OOK. If you stick with Titania's core box, emissary, rougarou, Killjoy and Malisaurus you should have plenty of options to make a decent crew. You might also want to take a look at the versatiles (no tax) Serena Bowman and the Hooded Rider as they work well with Titania. I don't always take Aeslin either, but that's just because she doesn't always fit in with my plans.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, FlippingWeak said:

Aeslin is not overly liked but situationaly brilliant? What would you take instead of her?

Bultungin are not rated at all - what would you bring in instead? Changeling on tax?

Aeslin is great for controlling the center of the board because of her built-in crow and her ability to drop markers from range. I take her when that is relevant (denying claim jump, scoring/denying leave your mark). Pairing her with the emissary can make her effectively a min 4 beater and the duo can project threat 8" off a well defended position. If I don't take her, it's because I don't think holding center matters and I'm usually bringing more mobil pieces in her place.

Bultungin are usually not rated, and I tend not to bring them, but they bring condition removal and scheme marker removal on a fast, 5-pt body. If you treat them like fast support model instead of true runners, you'll get value out of them. Still, I bring only hire one in maybe 1 out of 20 games. I don't think that's a slot that really need replacing. Most of my Titania crews tend to be fairly elite with 6-7 models and it's that 5-point runner slot that gets cut more often than not. Some people like wicked dolls, but I'd usually rather have 3 stones.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Aeslin is fine, as others have mentioned. Aeslin may feel slow in a Corners set up game where you start so far away from your opponent, but for most other deployments, a move or two on turn 1 will put you in range to just blast away for the rest of the game.  I don't use her melee attack often, but that depends on terrain.  Injure causing Blasts are quite nice with the built in Into Thorns trigger (she doesn't fight with the rest of the crew for crows) for placement and extra damage.  She can also drop a fair number of scheme markers at range.

I also recommend the Emissary/Effigy box, you'll more likely want the Emissary, but since they come together...  The Emissary's hazardous terrain blasts can be quite good with Into Thorns moving models around and iirc triggering hazardous.

I like Waldgeists. They aren't perfect models, but they've got some interesting tricks that can be quite useful.  The Heave trigger (combined with the italics of Tangling Roots) can move models stupidly far depending on your board's terrain.  While your opponent won't voluntarily sit in such severe terrain, your other models (like Aeslin with Decay) can use your Undergrowth markers and into Thorns to put opposing models into larger pieces of severe.  They can also be moderately tanky with armor, stench to deny triggers or discard cards, and the self heal.  If you plan where your undergrowth markers go, they can be reasonably fast.

Bultungin are very squishy and will disappoint you if you try to fight with them.  They are fast and can easily remove scheme markers (even those protected by engagement or chatty or similar), so while they will mostly sit on your shelf, they might be useful in some pools.  I suppose they can be useful in Hidden Martyrs as your opponent casually kills them to give you the first point. Or conversely they kill the other model while your Bultungin is far away and you just stay far away until the final turn and they swoop in from 17" away for the second point.  They are the cheapest way to get another start of game undergrowth marker on the table, but that in itself isn't worth 5 soulstones.

I want to get Rex soon (planing to from FLGS).

Wicked Dolls are a very interesting tech piece if you want to bring Killjoy, one of the cheapest things to put his upgrades on, relatively difficult to kill with Stealth, relatively quick with Creep Along, and Threaten to apply Adversary (choose Fae) plus On Your Heels trigger then Complete the Ritual -> Killjoy to face will murder some poor sap.

• Agree 2

Thank you all so much for the above!! Really appreciate the input. 

Going to pick up Emissary box and Rougaru/Bultungin box next for the reasons described above.

I'll also just play Aeslin for now, I intend to main Titania for a fair few games so I learn it better so will stick in Keyword (and versatile) for now because I need to learn the game too. I know this means some schemes won't work well.... but i feel it's as good to learn when not to take her as when you do take her? 

Again, thanks!! Got my next steps set. 😁

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FlippingWeak said:

I intend to main Titania for a fair few games so I learn it better so will stick in Keyword (and versatile) for now because I need to learn the game too. I know this means some schemes won't work well.... but i feel it's as good to learn when not to take her as when you do take her? 

She doesn't like some schemes, but she's a great generalist who should be able to play into most pools. My first 20+ games of M3E were all Titania and I only had her box + emissary. It worked out fine. 

I think the only schemes she doesn't really like are Spread Them Out and of course Runic Binding. Catch and Release is medium doable with Rougarou, but you gotta be careful cause those dogs can die quick under focus. Spread is doable but she prefers more efficient stuff.

I think Symbols is the hardest strat, but if you accept picking up at least 1 with Titania herself its not bad at all. 

I think it's also worth mentioning that Titania has a few synergies with the nephilim as well. The most obvious is that she has flight and can keep up with them and play really aggressively. The second is the combination of Cruel dissapointment with black blood and regeneration. Without the risk of taking severe damage, the potential of spilling black blood and regaining health from regen is higher.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, FlippingWeak said:

That is interesting @Hawkoon - I had been looking at expanding into Nekima next (a fair few games off) mostly due to the lore I have read in the book so it makes thematic sense and the fact that it may work on the tabletop too means I can have a few mix ups once I get a little more confident with it.

I guess Nekima is slightly under top tier, but i love her playstyle, so I tend to play her when the pool favours speed and mobility. The Fae are a bit on the slow side, so bringing a few nephilim with Titania might also catch your opponent off guard.

As others have said the Emissary is amazing with her. The Rider is also very good because Titania really wants to yeet herself into the opposing crew and the Rider can actually keep up with her, she'll draw fire off of it, and if it dies early the Gorar can turn into it. Bowman is, ofcourse, always great.

Candy is the best ook pick. Her aura compliments Titania's aura very well, if you've got the Rider, Ride with Me helps Candy alot, as does the Rex's push.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Raising said:

how does candy aura "oportunist" sinergize with titania's life leech or cruel disapointment

The aura being referred to above is "Corrupted Innocence"

Stunned from Candy from Corrupted Innocence can help keep your models alive, which kind of doubles up on Titania's Cruel Disappointment.  Not getting triggers against your models and not being able to do Severe damage can make things quite annoying to deal with.  Cruel Disappointment also really helps keep Candy alive (Disarming & no Severe damage is quite tough).  Misery can also somewhat stack with the damage from Life Leech, or be used to push models into Titania's terrain (or the Emissary's).

• Like 2

On 3/5/2021 at 4:57 PM, Roadhouse said:

As others have said the Emissary is amazing with her. The Rider is also very good because Titania really wants to yeet herself into the opposing crew and the Rider can actually keep up with her, she'll draw fire off of it, and if it dies early the Gorar can turn into it. Bowman is, ofcourse, always great.

Candy is the best ook pick. Her aura compliments Titania's aura very well, if you've got the Rider, Ride with Me helps Candy alot, as does the Rex's push.

I love the idea of Candy - and will look to pick her up eventually when I get Pandora's crew for sure. I won't grab her initially as my group are also new to the game but its definitely one for future games with a little more experience.

Rider is definitely on the list though as he may come in instead of Killjoy sometimes - I feel like he is more straight forward but still has some nice tricks. I am sure I am totally going to mess up Killjoy and his upgrades on wrong models initially too!! 😂 Or that with Ressers opposite me I am going to see models that deny Demise abilities.... 

1 hour ago, Roadhouse said:

Killjoy is, unfortunately, not very good. Emissary, Rex, Bowman is how most lists start and Titania wants a large cache(8+), possibly AP because she flips so many cards, there really isnt room for a 10pt model that isn't going to keep up with the rest of the crew.

Killjoy is niche, but his upgrade and bury mechanic have uses. Keeping up with the crew is only a problem if you're playing aggro Titania, but you don't have to play her that way. I've used Killjoy as an anchor and let Aeslin and Titania draw models into his reach with thorns. It can do work.

@Roadhouse is a solid Titania player, but I find this game is far too varied and Titania is far too flexible to be starting crew building with 28ss locked. If she is one master in your roster, then playing her a specific way for specific pools makes more sense, but while she's your only master I would explore her different styles of play and build to the pool and matchup.

• Like 3

I tend to play Titania as @Roadhouse does (Elite agro Titania). I agree that Candy is great there but you need the rider to bring her up the field (than on tour heel and she can surprisingly keep up with the Queen). 

@Alcathous is probably right though. There's other way to play her that will fit most opponent, strat and scheme pools. The Elite crew is versatile enough though and I use it when I think it's at his best, in doubt I just use an other masters. 

I would like to see other Titania build with their specific use and strength.

4 minutes ago, SEV said:

I tend to play Titania as @Roadhouse does (Elite agro Titania). I agree that Candy is great there but you need the rider to bring her up the field (than on tour heel and she can surprisingly keep up with the Queen). 

@Alcathous is probably right though. There's other way to play her that will fit most opponent, strat and scheme pools. The Elite crew is versatile enough though and I use it when I think it's at his best, in doubt I just use an other masters. 

Now that Rex is around I'm reaching for the Rider less and less. Lashing Tendrils is less movement than the Ride with Me placement but I can use it on the Emissary and there is no TN.

@Alcathousis right about flexibility of build. Titania is my PE and RE master so what I consider her auto-includes are with those strategies in mind and I use other masters for Symbols and Leylines because they can build better to suit those strats.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, SEV said:

For Corrupted Ley Lines I usually start with Rougaru, Emissary, and a Waldgeist and build to the matchup from there. Waldegeist and Gorar are usually claiming my first two Ley Lines then passing the Lodestone to Emissary to pick up 3-4. Rougaru is getting Titania and maybe Emissary up the board, then he supports the runners and uses roar/claws to try deny points.

28 minutes ago, Roadhouse said:

Now that Rex is around I'm reaching for the Rider less and less. Lashing Tendrils is less movement than the Ride with Me placement but I can use it on the Emissary and there is no TN.

I've come around to The Way of the Lashing Tendril.

1 hour ago, Alcathous said:

Killjoy is niche, but his upgrade and bury mechanic have uses. Keeping up with the crew is only a problem if you're playing aggro Titania, but you don't have to play her that way. I've used Killjoy as an anchor and let Aeslin and Titania draw models into his reach with thorns. It can do work.

@Roadhouse is a solid Titania player, but I find this game is far too varied and Titania is far too flexible to be starting crew building with 28ss locked. If she is one master in your roster, then playing her a specific way for specific pools makes more sense, but while she's your only master I would explore her different styles of play and build to the pool and matchup.

I am definitely building towards flexibility at the moment - I want to main Titania as at this point I need to learn the game as well and don't want to jump around too much - I do recognize I will struggle at points in certain schemes/strategies.

So many useful opinions above - and a shopping list (which is the best bit) so its really useful to see the different options available for this crew.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FlippingWeak said:

I am definitely building towards flexibility at the moment - I want to main Titania as at this point I need to learn the game as well and don't want to jump around too much - I do recognize I will struggle at points in certain schemes/strategies.

So many useful opinions above - and a shopping list (which is the best bit) so its really useful to see the different options available for this crew.

I think you'll find fewer bad pools than you think. Titania is a great foundation to build upon as you're learning. Have fun! 🍁

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FlippingWeak said:

I want to main Titania as at this point I need to learn the game as well and don't want to jump around too much

But cradle of life is such a good trigger! 😁

Seriously you probably pick the best master in NB to do that. Just buy the Emissary and you'll be fine! And it's an amazing fig to have on the table top. 

1 minute ago, SEV said:

But cradle of life is such a good trigger! 😁

Seriously you probably pick the best master in NB to do that. Just buy the Emissary and you'll be fine! And it's an amazing fig to have on the table top. 

😂 Maybe a little jumping around then...

Yep Emissary is at the top of the list for sure - model is amazing and it gets everyone's approval for work in this crew. Then getting the Howling cos I want the Rougarou for positioning non-minion models a bit.