The art of the crooligan: part 1 of a Molly guide.

4 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

You can use By Your Side to decrease your hand size, even if you're already engaged with the model you plan to kill.

... can you discard and decide not to teleport or are expecting to have a non minion also engaging it? :)

For new players to Molly, it might be good to explain the timing of By Your Side and Fading (Footprints)

Also would be good to add in (to the main body of the guide) the clarification above about using By Your Side (needing the friendly keyword model there already) to lower your hand size before attacking. 

2 hours ago, Cats Laughing said:

For new players to Molly, it might be good to explain the timing of By Your Side and Fading (Footprints)

Also would be good to add in (to the main body of the guide) the clarification above about using By Your Side (needing the friendly keyword model there already) to lower your hand size before attacking. 

Thanks for the feedback! I have added those improvements :)

On 3/1/2021 at 4:45 AM, Maniacal_cackle said:

If you use focus, you can intentionally choose the LOWER card from your positive flip. Then you can cheat a higher card. This lowers your hand size by one before they get a chance to cheat.

... nice trick - never thought about that :) 

... good job on part one - really looking forward to the next part - hope its coming soon ;) 

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2021 at 8:26 PM, Maniacal_cackle said:

Let me know if anyone has requests for next section, but I'll probably do hand management or list building.

Hand management is one thing I feel I don't get right.

But everything will be highly appreciated! Thanks a lot for this guide!

• Like 1

Great info on Molly and a great start to the guide! I am looking forward to the rest of the series thanks. I really like the niche parts, like feigning symbols of authority with a crooligan, and focus stacking for unforeseen damage potential. Thanks again!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/28/2021 at 8:45 PM, Maniacal_cackle said:

A note about timing - many players ask if you discard a card to By Your Side, do you remove the scheme marker before or after teleporting? The answer is ambiguous, but most players play it that you remove the scheme marker pre-teleport. However, always best to talk to your opponent first - especially since this is the stronger interpretation for crooligans (since your bonus action lets you remove a marker at the destination anyway).

Overall I agree with most to what you wrote and concur that Crooligans are amazing and the key to winning with Molly in many games. However, I disagree with this interpretation of the timing for By Your Side and Fading (Footprints). 

The Rulebook (P. 34 in the Digital Non-Fluff Version) states: "SEQUENTIAL EFFECTS Sometimes, an effect will create additional effects as it resolves. In these cases, fully resolve the initial effect before moving onto any additional effect. Additional effects are then resolved in the order they were generated, after any effects which had been previously generated have resolved."

The Crooligan's By Your Side ability reads: "At the start of this models activation, it may discard a card to Place itself within 2" of a friendly non-Minion that shares a keyword with it."

Fading (Footprints) reads: "After this model discards any cards, it may remove an enemy Scheme Marker within 2" and LOS."

This is a sequential interaction. The use of "After" in the Fading text reinforces this and it occurs after resolution of the BYS ability. There is no pause in timing between the discard of a card for By Your Side and the Place for anything else to occur or trigger and there is no pause in the way it is written. The Forgotten player discards a card and the place is resolved with the discard. After this initial effect (the place) is resolved then the Fading triggered by the discard as part of the BYS will be resolved. 

By Your Side triggers the Fading and the BYS resolves according to the sequential timing, then the Fading resolves. You pitch the card and place the model, then you can resolve the Fading and remove an enemy Scheme Marker within 2" of the new location. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, thewrathchilde said:

Overall I agree with most to what you wrote and concur that Crooligans are amazing and the key to winning with Molly in many games. However, I disagree with this interpretation of the timing for By Your Side and Fading (Footprints). 

The Rulebook (P. 34 in the Digital Non-Fluff Version) states: "SEQUENTIAL EFFECTS Sometimes, an effect will create additional effects as it resolves. In these cases, fully resolve the initial effect before moving onto any additional effect. Additional effects are then resolved in the order they were generated, after any effects which had been previously generated have resolved."

The Crooligan's By Your Side ability reads: "At the start of this models activation, it may discard a card to Place itself within 2" of a friendly non-Minion that shares a keyword with it."

Fading (Footprints) reads: "After this model discards any cards, it may remove an enemy Scheme Marker within 2" and LOS."

This is a sequential interaction. The use of "After" in the Fading text reinforces this and it occurs after resolution of the BYS ability. There is no pause in timing between the discard of a card for By Your Side and the Place for anything else to occur or trigger and there is no pause in the way it is written. The Forgotten player discards a card and the place is resolved with the discard. After this initial effect (the place) is resolved then the Fading triggered by the discard as part of the BYS will be resolved. 

By Your Side triggers the Fading and the BYS resolves according to the sequential timing, then the Fading resolves. You pitch the card and place the model, then you can resolve the Fading and remove an enemy Scheme Marker within 2" of the new location. 

Oh, I agree and have always thought it should run this way, but got a lot of pushback on the forums.

I know the VWS ruled it this way, that you remove after the teleport.

I'll try to edit it later.

• Like 2