Jump to content

WE Neverborn do not MARCh, we charge (vassal march tournament discussion)


SEV
 Share

Recommended Posts

So every other cool kid are doing it : let's talk about March vassal tournament for the purple team.

No restriction this time (other than single master and no DMH). Cool, since Serena is needed in so many scenario/ matchup.

R1 is a pretty open map, with some blocking and Impassable terrain. I have a soft spot for Dora here (I don't think she's that bad at playing Symbol) event though the scheme pool is not super good for her. At least we can build a nice castle (especially in the top part of the map). Beside my personal feeling for Dora, I think Zoraida will do really well in that scenario (and I might just go for her since winning is the main goal of a tournament, even though average record doesn't suggest it)..

For me R2 and R4 are great for Titania. The map help aloy and we have several scheme that we can execute well with her.

For R3 I thin incorporeal and flying crew are needed. Nekima and Dreamer should do well.

Thought? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For reference, Round 1:

2032307879_NorthernPass.thumb.png.411f2eedbec4a4db95d6020907962328.png

  • Standard Symbols of Authority
    • Breakthrough
    • Sabotage
    • Assassinate
    • Research Mission
    • Claim Jump

So for Round 1, I'm thinking Zoraida seems nice for such a scheme-y pool (and the claim jump/research denial potential with her is great). Titania can choke point those rocks on the west side, so if you're attacker and get to pick deployment zone, Titania is a possible option. Nekima seems great for ignoring terrain and being a pretty scheme-y crew as well. Dreamer I don't know much about this season, but his terrain ignore and research mission denial seems nice. I don't think Neverborn have any marker removal for full research mission denial. Dreamer can also claim jump really well, whch is a consideration.

Very flexible pool, I imagine the answer may be "take what you're good with"?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I'll play @Kharnage R1. Record wise you never want to start the tournament against last month winner, especially when you're a bottom tier player like me...  But I'm here for the challenge, so I'm quite happy to play the Nekima master. But, in a shocking turn of events he turn his back from the nephilim queens to flirt with an other usurper : Misaki! 

On the positive side, he can't be as good with his new love than with his old mistress, right? On the negative side, I never played against Misaki and she's an awesome master (if you're confuse, you should still bet on Kharnage).

I declared Dreamer (I heard he was an ok master). So, any tips or super secret tech to win against the TT assassin will be welcome. At least, I have a bunch of terrifying models 😉.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SEV said:

So I'll play @Kharnage R1. Record wise you never want to start the tournament against last month winner, especially when you're a bottom tier player like me...  But I'm here for the challenge, so I'm quite happy to play the Nekima master. But, in a shocking turn of events he turn his back from the nephilim queens to flirt with an other usurper : Misaki! 

On the positive side, he can't be as good with his new love than with his old mistress, right? On the negative side, I never played against Misaki and she's an awesome master (if you're confuse, you should still bet on Kharnage).

I declared Dreamer (I heard he was an ok master). So, any tips or super secret tech to win against the TT assassin will be welcome. At least, I have a bunch of terrifying models 😉.

You must crush Kharnage for turning traitor!!!

One thing is Misaki is extremely mobile - make sure to protect key models (Dreamer should never be away from a model to use Protected for example). 

He will also have to telegraph his plays by placing shadow markers, so you can get a sense of what parts of the board he controls. His crew can be hyper aggressive, so if you can blunt initial aggression you should win the long game through attrition I would think?

Only played against Misaki once.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

You must crush Kharnage for turning traitor!!!

 

Oh trust me, I feel filthy.

I originally was going to just run Fuhatsu led crews all month, but I played a practice round 1 game into @Axelst and got absolutely shredded. So instead, I'm playing real masters, since while I'm doing TT for fun, getting dumpstered hurts my soul. Also, Misaki's just, fun.

May the God Empress forgive my transgressions.
 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/28/2021 at 3:04 PM, santaclaws01 said:

I'm just gonna mono Euripides the whole thing

My hero! 

I just recently bought him (fell in love with him after 1 vassal game), now I need to know how to play him properly. So far so good, but I struggle to get any real shenanigans with the ice pillars. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, what about the other Neverborn player in march... you're pretty quiet. I understand that it's a tournament and maybe some of us don't like to talk to much about strategy before the game (imo it's almost as fun as playing), but you can comment on the general scheme pool and map and comeback here to let us know how it went for you...

So let me friendly tag all of you : @Alcathous; @andorman; @Makhina; @Khyodee; @santaclaws01; @TweetyFaux; @ooshawn; @masterofmelee

So we're 10 (Lewphill91#2664 doesn't use the forum) ... I wish you luck everyone! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, SEV said:

Also, what about the other Neverborn player in march... you're pretty quiet. I understand that it's a tournament and maybe some of us don't like to talk to much about strategy before the game

This is actually part of my struggle for contributing any further. Obviously I'm your round 1 opponent so I don't wanna be like "here's how you kick me in the mouth", but that aside, as much as I would love to toss nutritious corpses to my nascent Neverborn player(s) so you can grow up nice and strong, there is quite a detriment to discussing strategies we use publicly during the actual tournament we're trying to use those strategies in; our foes are quite likely on the boards too, passively scouting around for what we think is effective, and possibly playing around that more efficiently than otherwise expected. "Man I love Zoraida for round 1" and then your opponent declares Ivan or some other keyword with a lot of concealment, she's arbitrarily worse for wear for her foe having that knowledge preemptively.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get it. I would like to say, just don't scout (in my mind those are friendly event - no price)... But yeah, human nature + open information.

But as soon as my Master is set (as for our game), I don't mind talking strategy. I obviously don't expect you to give me tricks to beat you though 😀

Also, we can just talk about the map, the scheme pool and what is good/bad for our faction. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haha, I just spam out my options in the Ressers forum and let my opponents scout me. Although I'm not playing hyper-competitively each month (although I'm starting to get moreso), so am happy to just have it be a learning experience xD

5 hours ago, SEV said:

Hum... So what about actually beating Misaki ?

For this scenario, I'm not convinced you have to beat Misaki, you just have to score (although note she often has to activate early in the turn if she wants to get movement).

So if she dive bombs you early, you can spend lots of time beating her.

Always stay aware of Misaki's threat range (her movement reduces for every two models that have activated on her side, I believe). However, I believe she can move full distance if she unburies out of her totem, so treat that as a high danger consideration.

I'm not too familiar with the matchup, but I would assume a slow-roll strategy of slowly building up your crew and claiming the centre will be good. A key question will be how you secure your turn 2 symbol while you're still getting set up, so put lots of thought into that. If you're using spiders (which I always would in something like this when I played Dreamer, but what do I know), have a plan for keeping them safe. Misaki can murder spiders without breaking a sweat (particularly Bandy).

EDIT: Note that I say claim the centre, not necessarily take Claim Jump. I don't know how good it is in the matchup, especially since Misaki can dive bomb you end of turn 5 to damage your claim jumper. Although Dreamer is super good at claim jump, so maybe it works. Who knows!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank... I settle on this crew :

Screenshot_20210302-144705.thumb.jpg.b2a24b5dd4cee565d278521a5e5b0c4a.jpg

This is Kharnage crew :

Screenshot_20210302-144856.thumb.jpg.c1b19f0ce9aac37759e1f437c712ac85.jpg

Minako seems an absurd model. Desper will do the symbol picking (and be really hard to stop). No pants will shoot at everything in LOS (so defending the centre will be though). Ototo and Misaki will tag temam my key pieces while Misaki can easily comeback to defend her own symbols.

My strategy : hide behind buildings and prey?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I'm not too familiar with the matchup, but I would assume a slow-roll strategy of slowly building up your crew and claiming the centre will be good. A key question will be how you secure your turn 2 symbol while you're still getting set up, so put lots of thought into that. If you're using spiders (which I always would in something like this when I played Dreamer, but what do I know), have a plan for keeping them safe. Misaki can murder spiders without breaking a sweat (particularly Bandy).

EDIT: Note that I say claim the centre, not necessarily take Claim Jump. I don't know how good it is in the matchup, especially since Misaki can dive bomb you end of turn 5 to damage your claim jumper. Although Dreamer is super good at claim jump, so maybe it works. Who knows!

All this. You lose this matchup by overextending with your key pieces (Dreamer, Serena) and letting Misaki have her way in turns 1-2. If you go into T3 relatively unmolested, your model count and hot deck will take over. Taking the center is important, but it's not a race. You can easily take back ground later in the game when you're not playing fair Malifaux anymore.

2 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Oh, and don't forget that while Widow Weaver can teleport to a web marker, terrorize an enemy away from a symbol, and claim it... Web markers are destructible, so don't go all-in on a web marker thinking it'll be there when you're ready to teleport to it.

And a lone Widow is dead to Misaki.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Scoring Assassinate vs Misaki is between really hard and impossible. Add a low river monk, the best healer in the game (quality/price) and Assassinate is practically out of the table.

Research mission is an option, since Stitched can be helpful with that. If Fuhatsu sees the Bandersnatch, it's dead.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SEV said:

Thank... I settle on this crew :

Screenshot_20210302-144705.thumb.jpg.b2a24b5dd4cee565d278521a5e5b0c4a.jpg

This is Kharnage crew :

Screenshot_20210302-144856.thumb.jpg.c1b19f0ce9aac37759e1f437c712ac85.jpg

Minako seems an absurd model. Desper will do the symbol picking (and be really hard to stop). No pants will shoot at everything in LOS (so defending the centre will be though). Ototo and Misaki will tag temam my key pieces while Misaki can easily comeback to defend her own symbols.

My strategy : hide behind buildings and prey?

Desperate can be surprisingly squishy once you start beating on him if his stones are drained. Although I now see he took 9 stones...

Don't forget Dreamer can teleport Lord Chompy, so you can keep Chompy pretty safe defending a back line. Then turn three turn aggressive with Dreamer teleporting Chompy. Not sure of timing, but a tactic to consider.

Don't forget widow weaver and potentially Serena can reposition Fuhatsu. If you get a chance to chuck him in melee, you can murder him reasonably quickly.

Check his list for armor ignore triggers as well. You don't want Hina dying when you don't expect it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Don't forget widow weaver and potentially Serena can reposition Fuhatsu. If you get a chance to chuck him in melee, you can murder him reasonably quickly.

Laugh Off 😢

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would probably hit Fuhatsu with ranged willpower attacks and bog him down in melee. The more you can bog the enemy down here, the better. Fuhatsu still gets a disengage + shoot twice, so make the disengage angles awkward.

Terrorize + unbury a summon is going to be super strong here, at a guess? (Just don't terrorize Fuhatsu).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information