Wishlist for Gaining Ground 2?

Maniacal_cackle

What's on everyone's wishlist for Gaining Grounds 2? Hopefully we will see it within a few months, so exciting to speculate!

For me, I'd like to see:

• Only one strategy focused on killing (instead of 2 like this season)
  • A return to strategies that you can pre-load/accomplish before the turn where you score them
    • But with a denial element, like with plant explosives and turf war

I think these two steps would go a long way to fixing 'oppressive' crews, since often you can counter those crews with aggressive scoring.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I would like to see a strategy that will benefit large non summoning crew. 

Some idea for this :

- Area control (by models without  a summon upgrade)

- Reversed killing strat  (focus on keeping models alive)

- Multiple interacts needed (or helping greatly with the scheme goal). For example You need to charge-up a generator somewhere on the centre line (or for the gremlins keep an alambic running) by interacting within 2" of it). Each interact action give a charge. You need turn x2 charges to score (or something like this). 

I would also really like to se asymmetrical strategy. This kind of scenario are harder to balance, but imo they are often super fun (I'm also a big fan of asymmetrical game; Android Netrunner, Twilight Struggle and Starwars Rebellion are some of my favorite games ever).

A last stance is a classic. Something like the attacker must eliminate the defender... Defender must resist, but when he kills one of the attackers minions it can comeback (with a special summon upgrade). So you're facing wave and wave of minions... defender need to interact somewhere on the board (let assume it a communication tower) while the attacker need to kill stuff each turn.

I would also like to see a strat with hidden information.

Something like a spy game. You could secretly choose models with microfilm token at the beginning of the game. Each turn a model with a microfilm need to be at one of X spot on the board to score... That would also encourage people to use large crew to mislead your opponent. 

Those are obviously rough ideas to exemplify what some area of game development (I obviously didn't test any of this).

Anyway as many of us, I'm eager to see GG2.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, SEV said:

I would like to see a strategy that will benefit large non-smoking crew. 

Some idea for this :

- Area control (by models without  a summon upgrade)

- Reversed killing strat  (focus on keeping models alive)

- Multiple interacts needed (or helping greatly with the scheme goal). For example You need to charge-up a generator somewhere on the centre line (or for the gremlins keep an alambic running) by interacting within 2" of it). Each interact action give a charge. You need turn x2 charges to score (or something like this). 

I would also really like to se asymmetrical strategy. This kind of scenario are harder to balance, but imo they are often super fun (I'm also a big fan of asymmetrical game; Android Netrunner, Twilight Struggle and Starwars Rebellion are some of my favorite games ever).

A last stance is a classic. Something like the attacker must eliminate the defender... Defender must resist, but when he kills one of the attackers minions it can comeback (with a special summon upgrade). So you're facing wave and wave of minions... defender need to interact somewhere on the board (let assume it a communication tower) while the attacker need to kill stuff each turn.

I would also like to see a strat with hidden information.

Something like a spy game. You could secretly choose models with microfilm token at the beginning of the game. Each turn a model with a microfilm need to be at one of X spot on the board to score... That would also encourage people to use large crew to mislead your opponent. 

Those are obviously rough ideas to exemplify what some area of game development (I obviously didn't test any of this).

Anyway as many of us, I'm eager to see GG2.

Awesome ideas!

Since Malifaux is a character driven game, I'd like to see none of the strategy's kill based, or at the very least minion only killing. It makes little sense that enforcers/henchmen/masters get killed all the time in little scraps and yet have a bigger story arc which needs them to survive. It detaches the game from the fluff - which is fine if you haven't made most of the units specific characters in said fluff.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MrPieChee said:

Since Malifaux is a character driven game, I'd like to see none of the strategy's kill based, or at the very least minion only killing. It makes little sense that enforcers/henchmen/masters get killed all the time in little scraps and yet have a bigger story arc which needs them to survive. It detaches the game from the fluff - which is fine if you haven't made most of the units specific characters in said fluff.

I just assume "killed" is "wounded severely in battle and need to take a few nights off to recover."

Lost an arm? That's at least 36 hours to heal that back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 2

I will say this every time... I want Turf War back!

It has been my favorite strategy since I started the game. It's killy, it's tactical, it's countertactical. It's 5 moves ahead chess while someone is trying to kill you.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, S4lt said:

I would like 6 strats in rotation for more variety and potentially a longer lasting GG

This would be cool with the app, but tricky with the default method of generating a scenario (suits on cards).

On another note, I want a zero sum strategy again, like corrupted idols. I want me scoring a point to mean you don't get one. No more 8-7 games.

Less killing Strategies, down to none at all, would be great.

Killing opposing models always grants advantage, even with no VP gained for it, as it helps deny opposing crews the scoring. As such, there is no need for having half of the Strategies beeing based on killing models. There will be always enough reasons for fights and heavy hitter crews still work for those who like to play that way. Even if its just a tanky hitter guarding your Strategy Markers.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Drunken Monkey said:

Killing opposing models always grants advantage, even with no VP gained for it

Very good point.

Strategies like Reckoning still are pretty cool as it is mainly about the timing of the killing and not the killing alone which results in surprisingly interesting play. 

I'd still prefer to not have any Strategy focussing on killing. Instead I would even appreciate a Strategy which even punishes killing. Would be a great push for cheap-ish Minions and could lead to us all seeing totally new crews on the board.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Drunken Monkey said:

Less killing Strategies, down to none at all, would be great.

Killing opposing models always grants advantage, even with no VP gained for it, as it helps deny opposing crews the scoring. As such, there is no need for having half of the Strategies beeing based on killing models. There will be always enough reasons for fights and heavy hitter crews still work for those who like to play that way. Even if its just a tanky hitter guarding your Strategy Markers.

I would let 1 killing strategie and few schemes based on kills because there are some factions that don't have the mobility. So they cannot score easy moving around but are good killing enemies.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Mycellanious said:

a completely killess playstyle every game

1 (one) Strategy punishing for killing doesn't result in "completely killess playstyle every game" - just saying ;)

Also, most attacks come with triggers which do stuff. 

And finally, a Strat that punishes killing not necessarily has to be designed in a way that automatically has you loosing a game just because of you killing stuff. 

A clause like "to score 1 point, a player has to do X for y times, where y is the number of enemy models killed by attacks or effects of said player during this turn +1".
So, if you are 'pacifist' it saves you actions. If you go for the kill you deny your opponent (future) actions but also are forced to spent more of your own ressources on other stuff to actually score. 

I consider this a challenging and interesting tactical decision.

1 hour ago, touchdown said:

In general I would like to see using many cheap models and spreading out emphasized more. Don't really care how they do it, but so many 4 and 5 stone models people think are unplayable, would be nice to see them on tables.

This is not because of schemes or strats. If every keyword had a Minion like Nekropunks you would see them a lot.

7 minutes ago, belorey said:

This is not because of schemes or strats. If every keyword had a Minion like Nekropunks you would see them a lot.

It is a bit.

If you have a strategy that is something like 'have a model without a summon upgrade in more corners of the board than you have scored VP for this strategy", for example, suddenly low cost minions start to become more worthwhile. There's probably at least some corners you want to hold with a cheap model.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

It is a bit.

If you have a strategy that is something like 'have a model without a summon upgrade in more corners of the board than you have scored VP for this strategy", for example, suddenly low cost minions start to become more worthwhile. There's probably at least some corners you want to hold with a cheap model.

No because most of them will die before you score anything.

Just now, belorey said:

No because most of them will die before you score anything.

A malifaux board is big... if you play an Elite  crew against a high models count crew and you have to split to be at 3 places, I would not necessarily bet on the elite crew (at least the other player has counter play).

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SEV said:

A malifaux board is big... if you play an Elite  crew against a high models count crew and you have to split to be at 3 places, I would not necessarily bet on the elite crew (at least the other player has counter play).

That only works with some summoners like Hamelin or Som'er spaming too many cheap models that you cannot kill as fast as they get on board. 

2 Pistoleros (8ss) are worst than a Sand Worm (8ss). The 90% of the games. I wish i could say that 4-5ss Minions can make the diferencie, but outside of Necropunks (who are insane good) most non-summonable cheap Minions 👎

It feels a little like there are not really good reasons to play low coast models in M3E anymore😔

Generating Schemes or Strategy that will change that are challenging to find I guess. But as the thread is not just about Schemes and Strategies there might still be a way in GG2 to tackle that. Could be a new limitation for crewbuilding, such as no more then 2 miniatures with a cost of 8 or more. Something like that.

But in the end, there will always be Keywords that will profit or loose from such changes and it is part of the game to adept to rule changes.

Well, maybe Ressers are especially good for low-cost models, but models that are <6 and at least close to playable/hirable include:

• Seishin
  • Carrion Effigy
  • Restless spirit
  • Little Gasser
  • Crooligan
  • Dead Dandy
  • Lost Love
  • Necropunk
  • Night Terror
    • Pretty niche, though
  • Rotten Belle
  • Ashigaru
    • This one is incredibly niche as a hire, though
  • Onryo?

So in fact for Ressers, almost all of their models that cost less than 6 are at least close to playable. I think a strategy emphasising low-cost models would push them all into playable. Although Resser models are especially durable, so maybe that's why.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, belorey said:

That only works with some summoners like Hamelin or Som'er spaming too many cheap models that you cannot kill as fast as they get on board. 

2 Pistoleros (8ss) are worst than a Sand Worm (8ss). The 90% of the games. I wish i could say that 4-5ss Minions can make the diferencie, but outside of Necropunks (who are insane good) most non-summonable cheap Minions 👎

Other low cost minions that would be pretty good in a Strategy like that:

• Death Marshalls
  • Flying Piglet
  • Test Subject
  • Watcher
  • Lyssa
  • Crooligan
  • Dead Dandy
  • Hoarcat
  • Showgirl
  • Bayou Gator
  • Banjonista
  • Survivor
  • Whiskey Gamin
  • Frontiersman
  • Warden
  • Sorrow
  • Bandido
  • Freikorpsman
  • Guilty

And so many more...

• Like 1

Although I guess something like 'number of models in your enemy's deployment zone' might work better, since in the corner example I gave, you'd have a lot of "elite rushes to kill the cheap minion, claims the corner.'

So you need a strategy where the players score points in different places to make the little ones more viable.