2021 Monthly Painting Challenge - March

Caedrus

I mind of dis it : Vintage Sonia using kimera colors (Blue, warm yellow, red + black and white)... I cheated for the base using contrast pain.

How to take good picture still elude me... I had an hard time with this figs (the face is so weird and tiny and the blade is ugly). I was aiming for 3 hours but I end up spending around 5.

20210326_181503.jpg

20210326_181259.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, SEV said:

@Engorn: wow vibrant colors on the poison dude and the Apex! Did you achieve that by mixing primary only (the end results is cool, but if you do it's even more impressive)?

Nah, I didn't try March's challenge (actually I forgot it completely until you asked xD).

8 minutes ago, muraki said:

LOVE the pig knocking over the box of apples.  Where'd you get those props?

Thank you muraki! I made the crates from balsa wood and the tomatos and chilli peppers with green stuff. The assembly is supported internally with some metal wires.

• Like 6

Totally!  This is a good idea to make mini war pig look a little bit bigger (I still can't believe that they did such an obvious sizing mistake). I like your pigs too (just a little bit more contrast could have bring more depth, but pinky pigs are always winners 😀 - if you want to try, just glaze a magenta toward the recess, it will do wonder for just a little bit of work).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SEV said:

Totally!  This is a good idea to make mini war pig look a little bit bigger (I still can't believe that they did such an obvious sizing mistake). I like your pigs too (just a little bit more contrast could have bring more depth, but pinky pigs are always winners 😀 - if you want to try, just glaze a magenta toward the recess, it will do wonder for just a little bit of work).

Thank you for your feedback SEV! I will give magenta glazing a try, as long as it doesn't appear glossy afterwards.  

Just now, Ja9nge said:

Thank you for your feedback SEV! I will give magenta glazing a try, as long as it doesn't appear glossy afterwards.  

Satin shadows are great imo. Glaze will be glossy if you use to much glaze medium (or ink). You can control that by mixing a hint of matt varnish directly in to your glazing mixt or by giving a coat of matt varnish to your whole mini when you're done (which I do for all my game play pieces since it help to protect them on the table top... I.e. playing with varnish mini make you flip the Red more often, it's a fact).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Ja9nge said:

Thank you muraki! I made the crates from balsa wood and the tomatos and chilli peppers with green stuff. The assembly is supported internally with some metal wires.

I was thinking you'd have to wire em together, and was afraid you built them all from scratch (as they look too amazing for me to find them easily).  Great work and thanks!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Viruk said:

Not sure if this would count as I've painted it for a buddy to serve as a proxy for Mature Nephilim. If OK, my total would be 38ss this month

mature-proxy.jpg

Is this Nakedima? Seriously what is this sculpt? (And nice job on the skin btw) 

• Haha 1

I was able to finish Lord Cooper's box, but I sadly did not complete the primary colors challenge.

KF2cHPl.jpgOElqrW8.jpg

N4gmc2t.jpgEjncUv0.jpg

xxkqh5L.jpgSsRgu3R.jpg

2lj43vP.jpgBCPvIMv.jpg

5J1UBqO.jpggqMXMru.jpg

vXYDptg.jpgnM39S5J.jpg

3FsW9bV.jpgqcjH6uY.jpg

DN1i5oO.jpg

Great sculpts, very pleased with the Explorer's Society. For the month of March – in which I started a new job and bought my first home – that's 69ss @Caedrus thanks!

Everyone's work continues to be inspiring. So many different perspectives and styles.

• Like 9

Caedrus, reporting in!

Well, I am hoping that everyone can forgive so many blurry / washed out photos in this lot!

In March, I wanted to make inroads into my Tormented, and I started with the eBay rescues, which was the base Jack Daw box:

SBMRo5P.jpg

15SS of Jack Daw. Not an inspiring sculpt. Next, Lady Ligeia:

h3FR0VY.jpg

A much more interesting sculpt and definitely worth more than 2 SS. Now, Lurch!

9PBoEXq.jpg

I enjoyed painting 9SS of Montresor. I've been trying to get better at black cloth. The rear-view shot doesn't show it well. I've made a gallows base for Monstresor, just to make him more imposing, but I'm not completely happy with it .... yet. Onto the Guilty!

sHgMhOC.jpg

iUk8ExH.jpg

hTZ3LL8.jpg

If I'm honest, my favourite bit of the paintjobs for these three is the NMM, which I'm starting to like, more and more! 15SS here.

Semi-finally, I painted another spare Madame Sybelle, for the primaries-and-tones challenge.

2AUT2QZ.jpg

As @Butch pointed out, the gap in her neck (which, I swear, was the fault of the eBay seller, who built the model!) was huge! Rather then break-and-build, I went with the unsubtle putty option. So now she has a quite enormous neck wattle to go with her rather voluminous buttocks. 10SS there.

Finally, 9SS of Miss Deed, or as I like to call her, Miss Goddamnit-why-can't-I-ever-take-a-decent-photo-of-you?!?

3ofvdwB.jpg

Better in real life, I swear!

So, a bit of a mixed bag from me. I'm happy enough with the paintjobs, but they look way better in the real world. Come to Australia and check them out. 60SS painted, and some inroads into completing the Tormented keyword, and my Outcast crews in general.

I'll get on track with some feedback soon, as well!

I'll see you in April, for the next month, and the next Challenge. Keep putting pigment to plastic!

Caedrus.

• Like 9

Coming in a bit late due to busy work at the end of the month... which is sad, cause I totally finished these models like 5 days into March (didn't post cause I was hoping I'd actually finish more models...'

Finishing up my apex keyword I got a crypsis corp guy

28ZAHTJ.jpg

And because it was sitting on my paint station 1/2 done, yet another Lady J

475YnoW.jpg

So that 22 for March for me @Caedrus

• Like 5