2021 Monthly Painting Challenge - March

Caedrus

Greetings, fellow painters, and welcome to the Monthly Painting Challenge for March!

Everything you need to know for the Challenge is right HERE.

March (according to my shallow internet research) has two birthstones, being bloodstone and aquamarine. In addition, the flower of March is the Daffodil. Red, blue, yellow.

So, here's a challenge for you. Paint a single Malifaux miniature in the month of March, using ONLY the primaries, black and white. Sounds easy, but if you're anything like me, your paint-mixing skills could do with a little upkeep.

Have a fantastic March, look after yourself and your loved ones, and keep those brushes damp!

Caedrus.

• Like 6

For me, my Month of March will be made up of continuing to work on the Hannah project, updating my Freikorps, and making a start on my Tormented keyword. This is an eBay rescue, on a keyword which has a few ... meh models in it, so I'm expecting a bit of a drudge, but who knows!

vZy2SVN.jpg

My primaries and tones model? Probably Montresor.

Keep putting pigment to plastic!

Caedrus.

• Like 2

Well, this is my pledge for March.

qXTUlML.jpgofl49tN.jpgxoZDFIf.jpg

I am not totally sure if I am going to be able to paint it all on March. The amount of miniatures is lower than those I painted on February, but I am going to be busier for at least the next two months. So, lets cross my fingers and work hard.

• Like 2

My plans for March are: more Rezzer models (unsurprisingly). Atm, I guess I will paint and one or two Dead Dandies and a few Versatile models (Gravedigger, Grave Golem, maybe Emissary) but it heavily depends on the progress in the campaign I am doing with a friend of mine.
Should I find some more time for painting Malifaux models I will try to get some color on a few Transmortis models, but that seems rather unlikely.

• Like 1

I’m getting back to some Other Side King’s Empire for March. I did a lot of painting in February but only a minimum of Wyrd stuff. I’m going to have to think about the March challenge, not sure what I have that will fit that scheme but I do like the challenge. Maybe we can help @Caedruswith upcoming monthly challenges. I really enjoyed the one day build and paint. Question: does grey count or does it have to be only black and white?

• Like 1

So here's what I'm planning to paint this month...

dngiTTM.jpeg

I've been somewhat inspired by the Wrastlers I painted last month, so I'm adding 3x Iron Skeeters to finally complete my Zipp Crew.

As for the Electrocutioners, they're the next step for my Abyssinians. It took me ages to paint my previous Abyssinian unit (Mehal Sefari) so I'm not entirely convinced I'll manage to paint all nine this month. But if I can at least get the scheme nailed down and paint a few, I'll consider it a win!

• Like 4

Hi there! I'll pledge the Hodgepodge Emissary for march.

I'll skip the primary colors challenge, at least for the emissary, I'm not confident about the potential outcome XD. i might try it with some other mini, malifaux or not, because it's something i've wanting to do for a long time ^^

About the challenge: primary colors are allowed to be mixed with black, white and grey? And black and white are allowed to be mixed into greys? Or no mixing at all? If the later is the case, I'll skip as I don't see any model, I'll ever paint with such a palette. I have an idea for primaries+(b+w+)greys, though.

Hi All, it sounds like the three-colour challenge is a bit of a washout! For those interested, the idea was: grab black, white, and the primary colours. Mix them however you will. Paint a mini. Simple as that. It was a bit of a 'back to basics' idea, redeveloping mixing skills!

Of course, these are just little ideas and challenges to keep things fresh! There's no obligation to take part!

Caedrus 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Caedrus said:

Hi All, it sounds like the three-colour challenge is a bit of a washout! For those interested, the idea was: grab black, white, and the primary colours. Mix them however you will. Paint a mini. Simple as that. It was a bit of a 'back to basics' idea, redeveloping mixing skills!

Of course, these are just little ideas and challenges to keep things fresh! There's no obligation to take part!

Caedrus 

Caedrus, now that I understand the challenge better I'm all in. I was expecting to see a lot of Lego looking miniatures all in primary colors. That said, given the talent I've seen on this forum they'd most likely look amazing. My suggestion for us to help with the specific monthly challenges was meant to be supportive and not critical.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Magnus said:

Caedrus, now that I understand the challenge better I'm all in. I was expecting to see a lot of Lego looking miniatures all in primary colors. That said, given the talent I've seen on this forum they'd most likely look amazing. My suggestion for us to help with the specific monthly challenges was meant to be supportive and not critical.

Look, if it was good enough for space marines for 20 years...

• Haha 1

Hi all! Let's get started with march's pledge earlier than last month, the challenge sounds like fun ^^ .

Here is my pledge:

IMG_20210304_185938.thumb.jpg.00d084b0865adbd3212b18c23ae20da3.jpg

I am going to prime the sniper black and see how it goes with the challenge! As for the terracota warriors, I will try it too, but I don't promise to not prime them again if I end up with clowns and going for something simpler 🙄

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Vessien said:

Hi all! Let's get started with march's pledge earlier than last month, the challenge sounds like fun ^^ .

Here is my pledge:

IMG_20210304_185938.thumb.jpg.00d084b0865adbd3212b18c23ae20da3.jpg

I am going to prime the sniper black and see how it goes with the challenge! As for the terracota warriors, I will try it too, but I don't promise to not prime them again if I end up with clowns and going for something simpler 🙄

Terracota is an orangy earth tone = about 4 parts red 3 part yellow 1 part blue (play around those proportion, it really depend of the paint you're using). Adjust with with white/yellow for the highlight and black/blue (carefully) for the shadow.

• Thanks 1

Looks good.

Think the white background isn't helping the photo. Your cameras going to adjust its white-balance based on that and lose a bunch of detail in the darker colours. 

If you print the grey backdrop from this sight it gives you a nice neutral background that tends to show the colours more truly. 

http://corvusminiatures.blogspot.com/2010/04/cloud-backdrops-for-your-miniature.html

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Maogrim said:

And there's a Beckoner done for the first 5 Stones this month. 

Again, I find it hard to take pictures that do the paint jobs justice (they'd still be very much average), but I guess it's okay. 

20210306_1204512.jpg

What a great start for march, I'm liking the color scheme with the dark skintone quite a lot.

As for the pictures quality, I have the same issue, maybe with @lusciousmccabe's suggestion they improve, thanks!

• Thanks 1