Guild on MARCHing

belorey

I think you should let Samael in LoS to a friendly model so you can do his :ToS-Fast: for extra move or a free disengage so instead of 2 melee you could shoot three times.

Also against Levi i think i would change LLC on for Expert Marksman on both Spelleaters.

Sonnia can be so scary if she get the right hands, i saw how you kill 3 models in one activation. 💪

• Like 1

Tbh I didn't think about it too much. Only Leveticus has the irreducible damage and I was worried about other models (which I really didn't need to be, as basically only Leveticus attacked me).

About Samael, it feels like he just doesn't do a lot. Because he has to follow a model, then if he moves he is ahead and can only retreat, The damage on him wasn't too much of an issue, he basically didn't hit anything (and when he did failed to kill), and Sonnia clears out the enemies with waaaay more efficiency.

Maybe I just need more practice, but the map also hindered him as it was easy to trap him between all the blocking/impassible scenery so even when I tried creep along he couldn't really move!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Higgybeans said:

Tbh I didn't think about it too much. Only Leveticus has the irreducible damage and I was worried about other models (which I really didn't need to be, as basically only Leveticus attacked me).

About Samael, it feels like he just doesn't do a lot. Because he has to follow a model, then if he moves he is ahead and can only retreat, The damage on him wasn't too much of an issue, he basically didn't hit anything (and when he did failed to kill), and Sonnia clears out the enemies with waaaay more efficiency.

Maybe I just need more practice, but the map also hindered him as it was easy to trap him between all the blocking/impassible scenery so even when I tried creep along he couldn't really move!

Don't know the crew, but I would assume creep along is meant to keep him safe.

Walk forward, shoot twice, creep back means you're a threat while staying 18 inches away. That's pretty potent!

Of course even two shots only do 5 damage, so maybe it is just better to focus on supporting Sonnia.

In my experience, adding a beater (like Samael?) to a strong beater like Sonnia just splits your severe cards over multiple models. Can be tricky.

I wonder if he could function as a scheme runner? Run duo with like purifying flame for extra movement, then can kill stuff if need be that tries to stop you?

Just throwing out thoughts.

17 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I wonder if he could function as a scheme runner? Run duo with like purifying flame for extra movement, then can kill stuff if need be that tries to stop you?

I think this is it, but I haven't figured how to get the best use of it yet. I have only recently added him back into my crew, but it's taking longer than I expected.

• Like 1

Just now, Higgybeans said:

I think this is it, but I haven't figured how to get the best use of it yet. I have only recently added him back into my crew, but it's taking longer than I expected.

It could also just be not meant to be. In my Reva crew, if anything requires a 5+ for bonus action movement, it gets cut from the crew for being too card hungry (except Dead Rider. He is worth a 5+ xD)

25 minutes ago, Higgybeans said:

Try running him with a Sanctioned Spellcaster - the Spellcaster gets Fast every turn so can keep ahead of him, and can drop Negation Aura near a significant target if you time it right. Of course they may just get blown off the board, but it's a pretty quick little scheming package.

I think the key with Samael is Ricochet - you want him spreading as much Burning as possible so going after low Df targets and stoning/cheating the mask gets you stacks of burning on a couple models that are now forced to come to you due to Smothering Flames, waste their time with Assist actions, or just let you blow them off the board with Sonnia... It's all theory, mind, but that's what I see.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, admiralvorkraft said:

Try running him with a Sanctioned Spellcaster - the Spellcaster gets Fast every turn so can keep ahead of him, and can drop Negation Aura near a significant target if you time it right. Of course they may just get blown off the board, but it's a pretty quick little scheming package.

I think the key with Samael is Ricochet - you want him spreading as much Burning as possible so going after low Df targets and stoning/cheating the mask gets you stacks of burning on a couple models that are now forced to come to you due to Smothering Flames, waste their time with Assist actions, or just let you blow them off the board with Sonnia... It's all theory, mind, but that's what I see.

Oooo, that is cool! Very efficient spreading of burning. Could probably get 3-4 burning in an activation a lot of the time.

Seems way better against ranged crews I assume? Like don't try it against Ressers xD

5 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Oooo, that is cool! Very efficient spreading of burning. Could probably get 3-4 burning in an activation a lot of the time.

Seems way better against ranged crews I assume? Like don't try it against Ressers xD

I don't know. Ressers has plenty of low Df targets to dump middling Masks into. You're not really going for damage at this point, you're going for suppression. And as you said, he can walk (6" - insane for Guild) shoot twice, splash 4 burning onto (ideally) 3 models, and then Creep away. He also is Unimpeded so he can take advantage of whatever Severe is on the board...

Just now, admiralvorkraft said:

I don't know. Ressers has plenty of low Df targets to dump middling Masks into. You're not really going for damage at this point, you're going for suppression. And as you said, he can walk (6" - insane for Guild) shoot twice, splash 4 burning onto (ideally) 3 models, and then Creep away. He also is Unimpeded so he can take advantage of whatever Severe is on the board...

Oh, I was more thinking that burning supression only works on ranged models.

Melee models will still just run across the board and smack you in the face, right? The burning reduction doesn't apply to movement?

5 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Oh, I was more thinking that burning supression only works on ranged models.

Melee models will still just run across the board and smack you in the face, right? The burning reduction doesn't apply to movement?

It's anything with a range that isn't a claw action. Not move, but Leap, auras, tactical actions... almost everyone is inhibited by it somewhat. 

EDIT; to be fair I wouldn't take Sonnia into Ressers regardless. 

13 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

I have never been impressed by Sonnia's range reduction, but then I bet someone else has gotten more out of that one than I have.

You probably have to play into it. And Malifaux can be such a game of inches that you may not see a huge impact even while your opponent is sweating bullets because suddenly they can't get markers down with False Claim where they need them to go.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

I have never been impressed by Sonnia's range reduction, but then I bet someone else has gotten more out of that one than I have.

Untill a Rider gets burning +3 or +5 and he cannot do his Revel in (x) efficiently.

9 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

One question - why take LLC against Leveticus? Won't he ignore the armor anyway?

Edit: I'm just curious, still don't understand Guild very well

I think i would change the LLC to Expert Marksman on both Spelleaters so they could hunt Necropunks.

8 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

Against English Ivan it was key! I reduced all the ranges haha, and it was spread around nicely! But it is situational, and very easy to forget!

9 hours ago, admiralvorkraft said:

I wanted to do ranged things, but my opponent kept engaging him in a way I couldn't creep out of combat. The problem is to add in a sancioned spellcaster to the crew I have to drop something else.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Higgybeans said:

I wanted to do ranged things, but my opponent kept engaging him in a way I couldn't creep out of combat. The problem is to add in a sancioned spellcaster to the crew I have to drop something else.....

I'd drop the Rider for a Spellcaster and either a Lawyer or Pathfinder. But that's me being contrary. 

12 hours ago, Higgybeans said:

Against English Ivan it was key! I reduced all the ranges haha, and it was spread around nicely! But it is situational, and very easy to forget!

How did your get burning into him? Between passing off conditions to the totem and reducing damage to 0 he strikes me as immune.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4thstringer said:

How did your get burning into him? Between passing off conditions to the totem and reducing damage to 0 he strikes me as immune.

Sonnia with focus blasting into him, and nearby enemies including the totem meant I killed the totem, and it would have put ivan on too low hp if he resurrected it. I'd smashed through a load of the shadow markers, which allowed me to burn him after :)

• Like 2