are there any Euripides geniuses around? Place tips here

ooshawn

calling all Euripides Playing Big Brains......

I was hoping for a thread where people dumped updated, fully developed tactica for the whole crew in one place that is in a Nice format if at all possible similar to this. I'm gonna try to compile it and leave it here at the top for everything that wants to expand into euripides

Strats: Do's_________________________/Do Not's___________________________________

Schemes: Do's_________________________/Do Not's___________________________________

Euripidies : Strengths/Weaknesses, Tips/tricks

Thoon: Strengths/Weaknesses, Tips/tricks

Geryon

Cyclops: 

The damned:

Gigants: 

So all you're asking for is a small essay? Honestly, I love chatting Euri, but I don't have the time to write out a deep dive at the moment. I'm putting down some of my schemes thoughts now; I'll come back later if I have time.

For Strats, I think he's a bit of a generalist. Symbols was his weakest until Damned came out, and now I rate them all fairly equally.

Best schemes: Research Mission, Leave Your Mark, Hidden Martyrs, Breakthrough.
Schemes he scores well but also gives up easily: Assassinate, Let Them Bleed

Also, lot has already been said about Euri:

edit: found another thread

Edited by Alcathous
OP added a question
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I'm 6 games into Euri and I think he's a sleeper. 

There are several ways you can play him thanks to the diversity in the Savage keyword. He can wall up and hide, or move with surprising speed. He can be ranged or melee beat down, or simply slow your foes down with conditions. He can also scheme very well with the Cyclops and the recent addition of The Damned.

He's reportedly squishy, but he's been surprisingly resilient to me. The Old Ways allows him to stay alive much longer than you might expect. The same with the rest of the crew. If you can manage your hand and discard pile properly, you should be able to duck some pretty severe damage, especially if you know it's coming. I've had Parker try to shoot Euri off the table and Euri just took 2 and cheated once to prep for the next turn's Old Ways.

Sarena Bowman should be an auto include in almost every list. You also should use her to mess with your opponents positioning if possible, and heal when she can't. She's also great for claiming the center if you need to.

I've heard people knocking the Gigants, but their built in knock back on a gun that can ignore LOS and Cover is exceptional. Plus they can TP enemy models TO ANY ICE PILLAR ON THE TABLE with their melee attack. It's great to set up the one two punch with Thoon. They can also deny points by using Cave Drawings around known schemers.

Geryon's are built to soak damage and are worth every stone. The look of confusion on your foes face when they charge a Gerry and then don't get to attack is worth every point. Then the Gerry will eat the charging model and heal back up to full thanks to Reform From Ice. Their slow trigger on their melee should not be overlooked either.

Cyclops are solid schemes for Sabotage, Spread Them Out,  Leave Your Mark, Runic Binding, and Research Mission. They can drop pillars and auto Stagger foes next to a specific Ice Pillar if they have nothing else to do. 

Bultungin are dogs. 

Lyssas can help you move your models into position. 

Primordial helps makes everything move together or gives your forward facing tank (read Geryon) incoporeal to reduce the damage he will soak up. His ability to deal 1 damage by targeting an ice pillar has killed models for me. He can also be a decent scheme runner for things like Claim Jump and Leave Your Mark since he will often be ignored by your opponent.

Overall, I think Euri is a high floor master with a very versatile style of play that can be adapted based on what you are facing. He can switch gears on the fly and that is the hardest thing to master. Should you beat down a model here? Drop a scheme marker? Or disrupt your foes movement shenanigans. Bonus points if you can do more than one.

I also did not discuss Thoon cause no one will let me keep him on the table. They kill him first.

8:::::(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with your perception that euripides is quite strong. way more than what people is giving him credit.

It may be the "old ways" fault. It looks nice on paper but can be deceptively brutal once you understand all the "ways" to use it and are patient. defensively is really hard for the oponent to workarround. 

attaking you can forze brutaly some turns. having a 12/13 in hand that can be used to defend one activation and counter attack or the damage and the next atack. you also can "dig" for the cards you left behind to some extend.

What you dont want to do is using a high card from your hand to make an atack that will create a damage flip that is not straigt or fail if your oponent cheat (yes your oponent cheating a 12/13  and you failing is not a bad thing since you can reuse your card and he can't) 
If your win ends on a straigt flip remember your high card is right below the one you fliped for damage.

one thing that define most euripides activations is his intuition. if you are lucky (best luck is red Joker)you can go wild and hit twice for severe with minimal cheating since you can control whether you flip or get a card from the discard you can preserve your draw pile state as required

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Raising said:

I agree with your perception that euripides is quite strong. way more than what people is giving him credit.

It may be the "old ways" fault. It looks nice on paper but can be deceptively brutal once you understand all the "ways" to use it and are patient. defensively is really hard for the oponent to workarround. 

attaking you can forze brutaly some turns. having a 12/13 in hand that can be used to defend one activation and counter attack or the damage and the next atack. you also can "dig" for the cards you left behind to some extend.

What you dont want to do is using a high card from your hand to make an atack that will create a damage flip that is not straigt or fail if your oponent cheat (yes your oponent cheating a 12/13  and you failing is not a bad thing since you can reuse your card and he can't) 
If your win ends on a straigt flip remember your high card is right below the one you fliped for damage.

one thing that define most euripides activations is his intuition. if you are lucky (best luck is red Joker)you can go wild and hit twice for severe with minimal cheating since you can control whether you flip or get a card from the discard you can preserve your draw pile state as required

You can also play with Intuition on both Euri and Thoon. If you have one or two low cards on top, you can use a SS to flip both for Reflected Visage (Euri) or Arctic Pull (Thoon). This lets you clear the dross off the top and get to a higher card.

Honestly, one of the players in my meta has called out that he doesn't have to actually do much for Assassination since I often times bring Euri down to that point on my own using The Old Ways to turn what could be a 3/4/6 into a single point of damage. 

The Old Ways turns the entire Savage keyword into Jack Daws with pretty solid HP and H2K. With Frozen Vigor, many of the models get to Old Ways for free on the first flip. It really does make them much harder to put damage on. Even they do manage to spike damage, you have Sarena to top them off.

I've had a Geryon go from 1 hp to full +1 Shielded during it's activation without Sarena.

What this all means is that Euripides is very cerebral. You have to understand the actual threats your opponents are bringing. If you can identify what models are actually going to deal damage and you can plan around them, Savage becomes a very survivable keyword. I would argue that a lot of players who have given him a go are newer to the game and don't fully understand Threat Assessment or when to commit models to the scrum.

I do want to add a disclaimer that my meta is tiny. I have only been playing Faux for about 8 months now (weekly). I know there are other players out there with a lot more experience and probably many more games with Euri.

• Like 3

On 4/13/2021 at 11:31 PM, Vaylos said:

I've heard people knocking the Gigants, but their built in knock back on a gun that can ignore LOS and Cover is exceptional. Plus they can TP enemy models TO ANY ICE PILLAR ON THE TABLE with their melee attack. It's great to set up the one two punch with Thoon. They can also deny points by using Cave Drawings around known schemers.

teleport *anything* to any ice pillar it can make for some seriously unexpected speed if you decide to whack an ally

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fire5tone said:

teleport *anything* to any ice pillar it can make for some seriously unexpected speed if you decide to whack an ally

...that's...pretty good stuff. I hadn't thought of that.

It's a super good way to place a Gerry right in the middle of the scrum out of no where. Especially if you can combo Frozen Vigor and Form Given Only To Winter to make it take 0 damage.

Do that right at the end of the turn, last action before initiative.

That's a disruption bomb to your opponents plans.

I really want to build around this concept with Inhuman Reflexes.

3 hours ago, Vaylos said:

...that's...pretty good stuff. I hadn't thought of that.

It's a super good way to place a Gerry right in the middle of the scrum out of no where. Especially if you can combo Frozen Vigor and Form Given Only To Winter to make it take 0 damage.

Do that right at the end of the turn, last action before initiative.

That's a disruption bomb to your opponents plans.

I really want to build around this concept with Inhuman Reflexes.

i know because i played a bit of him previously, one time i used thoons ice pillar bonk to isolate perdita and teleported euripides on top of her

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 6:00 PM, ooshawn said:

calling all Euripides Playing Big Brains......

I was hoping for a thread where people dumped updated, fully developed tactica for the whole crew in one place that is in a Nice format if at all possible similar to this. I'm gonna try to compile it and leave it here at the top for everything that wants to expand into euripides

Strats: Do's_________________________/Do Not's___________________________________

Schemes: Do's_________________________/Do Not's___________________________________

Euripidies : Strengths/Weaknesses, Tips/tricks

Thoon: Strengths/Weaknesses, Tips/tricks

Geryon

Cyclops: 

The damned:

Gigants: 

Fun thing to do against your opponent. Pull off "Frozen Trophy" on your opponent's master. Next activation have Euripides throw said pillar as far away from the rest of your opponents models as possible. Laugh while your opponent puts way too much effort into freeing their master while you run around scoring points with no issues. 

On 4/23/2021 at 8:41 AM, fire5tone said:

Candy can be a nasty surprise when delivered this way at the end of a turn on the middle of your oponent's crew. Although with my "luck" I tend to hit her with a severe when she relents :)

1 hour ago, fire5tone said:

I'm unsure of exactly where geryon's should come in, maybe bubble breakers but they're quite expensive for that, but I know the lyssas can be very good scheme runners, not always, but for how cheap they are they're quite good backup and go immediately back to causing people grief

Geryon's (Gerrys) are a great beater. You can throw them in front of a foe and plan for them to survive using the old ways. They can also heal up using Reform From Ice if they do take a beating. You can also use a Gigant to teleport them to an Ice Pillar using their Tree Trunk Tomes trigger.

They can do backfield work by denying your foes the ability to charge and attack if they are in the scrum since they stop charge attacks within 2inches of their 50mm base.

The Gerry is one of the best models in keyword. I recommend them highly.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, fire5tone said:

as a aside, I find assassinate to be a good scheme for euripides to play in, not necessarily take but it will be a massive pain for the opponent to actually put you down and his def trigger is painful

Respectfully I disagree with this. Euripides doesn't have Frozen Vigor, so every time he uses the Old Ways he ticks closer to scoring for your opponent (similar to Leveticus). It takes external effort to heal and shield him, which you have to balance out across the needs of his entire crew. I've never found Future Sight to be terribly impactful, nor has it ever deterred an opponent from going after him. It is certainly not on the same playing field as Hard to Wound, Armor, or any of the normally considered defensive tech.

I'm not saying I -wouldn't- take him in Assassinate, there's not problems doing so. I'm just saying I don't think he's terribly special for it, and if you're overly concerned about it...why not Titania?

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Gaston said:

Respectfully I disagree with this. Euripides doesn't have Frozen Vigor, so every time he uses the Old Ways he ticks closer to scoring for your opponent (similar to Leveticus). It takes external effort to heal and shield him, which you have to balance out across the needs of his entire crew. I've never found Future Sight to be terribly impactful, nor has it ever deterred an opponent from going after him. It is certainly not on the same playing field as Hard to Wound, Armor, or any of the normally considered defensive tech.

I'm not saying I -wouldn't- take him in Assassinate, there's not problems doing so. I'm just saying I don't think he's terribly special for it, and if you're overly concerned about it...why not Titania?

Didn't consider that, makes sense

I don't know why I didn't see it before, probably because I haven't played Euripides in a long time. Symbols should be super easy for him. Tree Trunk teleport The Damned to an Ice Pillar next to one of their Symbols... ez pz. With Euripides' range on creating the Ice Pillars you can more than likely get pillars down close to multiple Symbols to make it hard for your opponent to predict where Damned will come out (if they even expect it to happen at all). Will be trying this the next chance I get!

Also, I think Gigants are going to be super strong, if not at least annoying, in Break the Line. Their Bonus to prevent Interacts/Concentrate within 2" of an Ice Pillar is super easy denial. Sure they can remove the pillar via an action or some other removal, but its something they have to do. Its not a free Interact with the strat marker. And one more action could be all you need to deny the point from them.

I just keep finding more reasons to add things to this post...

I think Euripides is going to come into his place in GG2. Cyclops are so good for Death Beds and Detonate Charges (maybe you take 2 Cyclopes for Detonate if you want to be super safe and flexible?). Just poop those scheme markers out of Pillars which will probably be everywhere.

Super trolly, and not as easy to pull off. You could use Eurpides or the Geryon to throw the Frozen Trophy Ice Pillar back into your table half (if it's not already). Then wait until they've activated the Buried model, put a Scheme marker down then destroy the Ice Pillar yourself to pop the enemy model out and score Bait and Switch 🤣

• Like 2