Harlekin's thread of slow painting

Harlekin

After @Rainer Statistiker entered the forums with his work, I finally decided to create my own thread. 

We will come the Rainer's stuff in a minute but I want to show my collection of (painted) Malifaux miniatures as it is now, first.

Molly-Summary-20200125.jpg

Keyword-Forgotten-done.jpg

Molly's Crew is my favorite. 

Doc-Mc-Mourning.jpg Bernadette-Basse-done.jpg Gebaeude1.jpg

But I also did some random stuff. 

Asura-done.jpg September-2020-Ligeia.jpg September-2020-Guilty2.jpg

September-2020-Hanged.jpg October-2020-Von-Schtook-done.jpg Nov20-Research-Assistant.jpg

Valedictorian-Jan21.jpg Polish-20210119-221612697.jpg

At the moment, I am trying to focus on my Ressurectionist models and really enjoy painting them. 

• Like 9

But... 

Due to recent events I had to change my painting schedule. My lovely Redchapel ladies were conducting their honorable business in the small settlement Drywater just a few days ride south of the Knotwood and weren't thinking of anything terrible (well, not of anything terrible besides being killed by Seamus, that is), one fine day, a bunch of ugly living ragdolls dressed in fancy clothes entered their small and beautiful little town. 
It was a bunch of Arcanist misfits, a weird troupe of waitresses (and a sheep) who had decided to steal the money of the hard working people of Drywater by luring them (literally) into their saloon wagon with only one goal: to leave the respectable town a few weeks later, its innocent people bereft of all their precious belongings. 

Madame Sybelle's ladies at the famous Cat House (you can't miss it, it's right next to the town's crematorium) are the only force standing between those pesky thiefs and the honest townfolk. Sybelle's reputable ladies did not hesitate for one single moment and went to business instantly. 

I, of course, couldn't let those brave ladies take on this endeavor of selflessly defending the pittoresque little town they at the moment call their home without proper outfits and thus had to delay painting my Von Schtook crew in favor of my Redchapel keyword.

If you want to follow the progress you are welcome to do so. 
On behalf of my dear friend Sybelle and here cute ladies I just ask for the favour of never ever having or even applauding the despicable progress those caitiffs are making over there at @Rainer Statistiker's miniature thread. Don't have a look there if you don't want to break a few dry and cold non-beating hearts. 

Here is Sybelle's crew so far. And I am pretty sure more townfolk will rush to help, soon. Madame Sybelle is still negotiating with some of her direct neighbors and some might need a very kind and nice special treatment to be convinced. But it's only a matter of time, until Drywater belon... ahem, is as calm and neat as it was before those cheats came to town. 

Redchapel-Bases1.jpg Redchapel-Bases2.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

The story continues.

After Madame Sybelle's girls were confronted by some cheeky Performers on Friday* I had to finish all the Mindless Zombies, asap.

*Luckily, Asura Rotenberg is visiting Drywater these days and she helped keep up proper order after having tea (and whiskey) with Madame Sybelle the days before and the lovely and honorable ladies befriended each other.

As soon as the first explosions were heard from the direction of the local church, the two had to take a look to see what was going on. Guess what, Callous Cassandra was busy bombing the cemetary with sticks of dynamite to make room for the dirty saloon she wants to build. 
Sybelle and Asura of course decided to intervene. A whistle by Sybelle was heard throughout the town and soon thereafter the lovely ladies of her establishment were at the cemetary to fight back. Asura saved the day by helping to retrieve the dead bodies from the damaged graves while Sybelle's girls bombed everything back to order. 

Anyways, here's this weeks output: 

20210307-Mindless-Zombies.jpg

• Like 4

And Mortimer joins the list of painted models:
20210322-Mortimer.jpg

I was trying to give him a bit of Tim Burton vibes without sticking out too much besides the rest of my Rezzer models, thus the violet and comparably strong green. I'm pretty fond of the color composition on him. 

• Like 7

I do like him a lot!

One thing I'm kinda on the fence about is that, even though I love the green, it's so very eye catching that it kinda steals the focus of the piece. Especially on the head the eye kinda wonders away from the (lovely!) face to the hat brim. This also goes to the base somewhat.

I do like the kinda velvet finish you gave to the coat with the way you applied the highlights. And the shovel is fantastic!

(I also absolutely love your Mourners! Damn they are amazing!)

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback @Math Mathonwy 

I will keep an eye on him on the gaming table. I have to (like in 'really have to') have some green on my Rezzers models as, well, they are Rezzers. The green on the hat is desaturated to a degree and the green on his vest is meant to pop a bit as it's so little. So, I thought it should work well. 
But I will see how it works during play and keep your feedback in mind. 

Thanks about the Mourners. Is there anything in particular you like? Any positive feedback is welcome to get a better grasp of where my strengths are (if I have any when it comes to painting miniatures).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harlekin said:

Thanks about the Mourners. Is there anything in particular you like? Any positive feedback is welcome to get a better grasp of where my strengths are (if I have any when it comes to painting miniatures).

Not sure whether I can offer anything super constructive but I just love how sinister they look. And how they are very different from another yet very cohesive. The smoothness also helps - they are technically super sound. Also really love the subtle use of colour in both to give some visual interest but still retain the look.

If there's anything I'm not super fond of it's probably the white one's bowtie which I feel could use some more definition and stronger shadows but that's really minor.

• Thanks 1

And here is another Zombie to support Madame Sybelle's ladies in the near future:
20210326-Flesh-Construct1.jpg

This Flesh Construct will act as a bouncer for Sybelle's Cat House in the picturesque town of Drywater. Better safe than sorry with @Rainer Statistiker's bunch of anarchist villains, Cassandra's dangerous posse, roaming through town almost every day. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

Lovely work on the acolyte. It's a fun core box to paint.

Gotten anything more done on the painting front after march? 

The miniatures in the box indeed all look very promising. I am a bit afraid of touching Myranda due to the many transitions in color and textrure I am planning/willing to try. 

It was a busy month so far. But I plan to finish the other two Acolytes this weekend. Cross your fingers for me, please.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2021 at 9:17 PM, Harlekin said:

I have to confess that I was a bit lazy and used drybrush on the wings. 

I wouldn't call this lazy. To paint a stucture like many litte feathers drybrushing can be the right technique for the task.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Butch said:

I wouldn't call this lazy. To paint a stucture like many litte feathers drybrushing can be the right technique for the task.

While you are right, I still call it lazy. As the moment arrived where I had to decide if I choose 2000+ strokes or 5 minutes of drybrushing - I just picked drybrushing. Not that this wasn't the wiser decision but I will never learn how to properly paint feathers if I never do it... 

If I started with putting more effort into painting this particular model from the very beginning I probably would have done otherwise. 

But overall the outcome is decent enough and in a busy month I tend to be forgiving towards my own painting stuff. 

Thanks for the heads up, anyways. I always appreciate this. 

• Like 1