Jump to content

How would you expand Asylum?


belorey
 Share

Recommended Posts

With the release of new Bayou versatiles i have been speaking with my friends about the Asylum and how could get expanded in the future.

I would like to be a new support Master. He could be the Director of the Asylum, his totem could be an assistant or secretary. And the minions could be patients.

What would you like to see in the Asylum crew? How could be the new Henchman? Which rules should they have?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mean we do need a new doctor, since our old one ran away betraying us to the undead menace!

I definitely think a support master would be appropriate, and would love to see some abilities that hand out conditions like candy. Like injection needles that on a trigger give a condition of your choice, so you have some interesting bits pumping your guys full of adrenaline, and theirs the plague or something!

I could also see the totem being some crazy patient in a straight jacket (i love papa loco).

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I'd give Grimwell the bump before making a new Master. Maybe have Heartsbane make it to henchmen too. 

I'd love to see the old nurse style abilities that were good and bad so you could use them offensively or on your own crew as the situation required.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Asylum master would play a little like Pandora/Candy mix. Giving out mass staggered around him while standing in the middle of enemy crew being a nuisance you can't get rid off. He would not his patients as model because they are his precious test subjects. Most likely one he would get Beater as enforcer to who "peacefully" bring patients to their beds. One more minion to support master nuisance abilities and one more henchmen I think? Something between Amina Maidu/Montresor? But the next master must be Asylum Wyrd! That is a must have!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Filox said:

Giving out mass staggered around him while standing in the middle of enemy crew being a nuisance you can't get rid off.

Collodi and Jack Daw crews already do that. And there's a bit of stagger stuff in Elite. 

If we're wishlisting, I'd have Grimwell or whoever the Master is have an action to attach upgrades that gave out the Asylum key word  and "counts as friendly" as models to represent "institutionalizing" Enemies. It could both do something to debuff "patients"and could synergize with the Prepare for Surgery action. Maybe have the attached upgrade summon "patient" models when the model it's attached to dies. 

Maybe the upgrade has something like "Illegible Prescriptions, when this model would heal, it loses that many wounds instead" 

Thematically I think it would work with the summoning idea. You institutionalize enemy models and don't "kill" them but pacify them and turn them into model patients through a mixture of medication, restraints and lobotomies.

It might require careful balancing as Emergency Surgery and Bottle of Painkillers don't have resists.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

Thematically I think it would work with the summoning idea. You institutionalize enemy models and don't "kill" them but pacify them and turn them into model patients through a mixture of medication, restraints and lobotomies.

It might require careful balancing as Emergency Surgery and Bottle of Painkillers don't have resists.

There is already one fully pledged one summoner per faction and I kind off don't see Wyrd changing this logic. But summoning smth like "patient" minion from enemy models with stagger when die might actually work.

And there is no rule that there can't be similliar tech master in different factions. We already have 3 who works with burning and 2 who works with poison. But looking for now we can suspect that Asylum master will work around Stagger  and gonna be buff/debuff or debuff/nuisance master. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Higgybeans said:

I mean we do need a new doctor, since our old one ran away betraying us to the undead menace!

Well, there is no the same tipe of Doctor. He/she could be more like a Dr. Hugo Strage (the enemy of Batman and the director of the Arkham Asylum in one if the Batman videogames).

I have been thinking in his front card rules and could be something like this. He has some common rules with Asylum and a new and unique rule as Master.

Director Sigmund Pinel (mix of Sigmund Froid and Philippe Pinel)

Df: 5 Wp: 7 Mv: 5 Sz: 2 / Wounds: 12

Reseach Specimens: After this model kills an enemy model, this model may draw a card.

Manipulative: If this model has not yet Activated this turn. Enemy attack actions that target this model suffer a :-flipto their attacks.

In My Care: When targeting a model with Staggered, this model`s Attack Actions receive a +:crow to their duels.

Nihilism: When this model would gain a Condition, it may instead discard a card to not so.

Welcome to Asylum: Enemie models with Staggered that star their activation within :aura6" gains Distracted +1.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Thematically I think it would work with the summoning idea. You institutionalize enemy models and don't "kill" them but pacify them and turn them into model patients through a mixture of medication, restraints and lobotomies.

That could be great, but i would give instead a summon upgrade a upgrade to enemies like Jack Daw. It could be something like this:

  • Lobotomy: Cost 0 Pleintful (2) If (Name of the Master) is this Crew's Leader increase this Upgrade's Pleintful Limitation to Pleintful (5). This model gain the following Abilities:
  1. Lobotomized: After Attaching this Upgrade, this model gains Insignificant.
  2. Straitjacket: At the star of this model activation this model gains Staggered and must discard a card or gain Slow.
  3. Are you cured?: At the end of this model's activation it may discard two cards to discard this Upgrade or gain Staggered.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My 2 cents:

@belorey suggestions are too powerful. Staggered + Stunned is IMHO one of the most powerful combinations of conditions, add to that also slow and then is just better that straight killing the model.

Let's analyze what we have so far:

  • Research Specimens
  • Staggered and interactions with staggered
  • Bonuses for having multiple models in base contact with an enemy model
  • Healing

So, I would work around that. First, give Research Specimens + Restraints as the thematic ability. That Emergency Surgery and Bottle of Painkillers should be in too, since they seem pretty thematic. Nurses from McMourning could even get double keyword (or a new henchman nurse that is double keyword). A bunch of "Stagger" triggers seems mandatory.

For the master I would give him one of those abilities with "when this model is the leader", that puts poison in models equally to the healed amount that try to heal within 8" (because you know, testing medication).

Lobotomy is a nice trigger, but I would keep it as something exclusive to Grimwell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ShinChan said:

Lobotomy is a nice trigger, but I would keep it as something exclusive to Grimwell.

It could be like Family Values on Family, or Slander trigger on Journalist... 

1 hour ago, ShinChan said:

suggestions are too powerful. Staggered + Stunned is IMHO one of the most powerful combinations of conditions, add to that also slow and then is just better that straight killing the model.

Colette's Illusionist work in same way but Distracted + Stunned, and she gives Distracted :ToS-Pulse:3" without any way to avoid it.

Personally i would focus the Keyword on Staggered + Card Draw and Card Discard (from enemies) with some potential slow and giving an upgrade to enemies with an attack like Daw. I don't like to go around Healing and Poison (as a principal characterist) because they work in an Asylum no in a Hospital.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the idea of handing out upgrades as "treatments". Maybe combine the idea from m2e of nurses doing both positive and negative conditions but put those on the upgrades so sometimes you want to put them on your own models and sometimes on the enemy.

One could be like Experimental Sedatives: When this upgrade is attached this model gains Slow and Serene Countenance

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, belorey said:

It could be like Family Values on Family, or Slander trigger on Journalist...

Lobotomy is wayyyyyy to OP to be mass trigger keyword.

But If I would to bring my 2 cents in more detail way I would do this like this:

Research Specimen & Restraints are 2 keyword abilities which we must work around it. There is also Stagger as our main weapon as also a little bit of Poison and move shenenigans. Master as I said before I would like to focus on debuffing enemy crew with Stagger and making them unable to score VP as being a nuisance you cannot get rid off. So in coclusion he would look like this?:

Df: 6 Wp: 5 Mv: 5 Sz: 2 Wd: 12

Research Specimen:
Restraints:
Hard to Wound/Protected (Asylum):
Overdose: 
If this model is this Crew's Leader, whenever enemy model would gain Stagger it also gains Poison +1. If the enemy model already has Stagger it instead is pushed up to 3" in any direction.
Df(:crow) This Won't Hurt at All: Enemy model gains Stagger and must discard a card.
Next please!: After enemy model is killed within :aura6", another enemy model within range gains Stagger and is pushed up to 3" to this model.
 

While Jack Daw focuses more on giving out upgrades and drawing cards, so Stagger is mostly to deal more damage to enemy model and (Collodi is dead, don't bring him to this conversation :P) little part of Elite only increase their damage for this. This Asylum keyword would use it only to displace their opponent giving making it harder for him to actually do something (like in most Hospitals) while slowly "curing" his patience by giving them "medicine". This keyword would rarely use Research Specimen and more as control Crew Poison would help with chipping down the models, although Restraints would be a big player here. Totem would focus on healing or increasing damage potential of Poison. I look at Grimwell as good scheme runner hunting tech so dedicated beater would also have In My Care and another henchmen/enforcer would focus on supporting the crew in a little different way then Heartsbane does. That only leaves a dedicated scheme runner(although Orderly could fit in this job ) and 2 more minions for other jobs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Filox said:

Lobotomy is wayyyyyy to OP to be mass trigger keyword.

Sure it can not be a mass trigger (It is not already, we have 6 models and only 1 has It). But i think both Master and Grimwell could have It.

11 hours ago, Filox said:

Overdose: If this model is this Crew's Leader, whenever enemy model would gain Stagger it also gains Poison +1. If the enemy model already has Stagger it instead is pushed up to 3" in any direction.

I think stagger and a 3" push can be too powerfull since most modelo have MV5. Should be like giving slow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would love to see minions with something happening if not within an aura of a master/henchmen (think a crazy breaking free) like "in not within Aura 6 of friendly master/henchmen with the "insert name here" ability, the models first action must be spent moving towards the closest enemy in LOS" 

Obviously have a positive side to it too. if model charges give them a positive flip or plus one to result or damage or something. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/24/2021 at 7:17 PM, Filox said:

There is already one fully pledged one summoner per faction and I kind off don't see Wyrd changing this logic

I watch thinking a full summoner, more something small and annoying to get in the way. Like a bayou gremlin. Maybe it has a "counts as enemy" ability to let you kill them for card draw. 

23 hours ago, touchdown said:

One could be like Experimental Sedatives: When this upgrade is attached this model gains Slow and Serene Countenance

I like this ability. Maybe getting rid of them takes discarding a card. So as a debuff it puts hand pressure and as a buff it takes card resources to turn off. 

Iirc the old ones were:

+2 MV, but can only declare walks

+1 damage but can only declare attack actions.

Full heal+ paralyzed

I can't remember what the last option was. 

5 hours ago, im_open_to_suggestions said:

in not within Aura 6 of friendly master/henchmen with the "insert name here" ability, the models first action must be spent moving towards the closest enemy in LOS" 

This is a neat idea too. Like the old Killjoy mechanic were he had to charge if able, meaning careful placement or he'd eat your dudes. 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like this Seamus Attack Action: 

Quote

Terrorize: RG 8" Stat 7 Rst Wp TN -

Enemy only. Target is Pushed its Mv in inches away from this model

        :crowTarget must either discard a card or suffer 3 damage.

But instead with only enemies, he could used it with his on models too and only the trigger could be used against the enemies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a great convo with some people yesterday and I actually changed my mind about getting next master being Asylum. We really need master with crew all about mobility. Getting OC Zipp or Misaki on symbols (same Collette and other schemers) is so frustraining when your opponent just zooms over your models and ends a game with 8 VP

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the idea of expanding the Asylum keyword. Had some spare time, so I decided to write a concept for the master and the totem. I wanted to create deny master, who drains opponent resources, while creating difference in mobility between crews (enemies with staggered vs friendly models with movement tricks). I wanted to utilize the idea of weaker master combined with stronger totem too. Let me know what do you think :) 

 

Sigmund Von Horn 13 cost

Master, Living

Asylum

 

5 DF 6 WP 4MV 2SZ

10 wounds, 30mm


 

Persistent Therapy: Enemy models with Staggered that start their Activation engaged by friendly Asylum model must either discard a card, or this model may Drop a Scheme Marker in base contact with them, ignoring LoS.

Protected(Asylum): After this model is targeted by an enemy Attack Action, it may discard a card to change the target to a friendly Asylum model within 2” of this model (ignoring range, LoS and targeting restrictions).

Intuition: At the start of this model’s Activation, it may look at the top three cards of its Fate Deck and then return them in any order.

Sedatives: After a Staggered Condition ends on an enemy model within :aura6 outside of that model Activation, the enemy model gains Slow.

----------

Attack Actions:

View of the Endless (RG: 10”, STAT: 6, RST:  Wp, TN: -): Target suffers 1/2/3 damage and gains Staggered.

:crow Daze: Target gains Stunned and is Pushed up to 3” in any direction.

 

Dementia (RG: 10”, STAT: 5, RST: Wp, TN: 12): This Action cannot target the same model more than once per Activation. Non-Master only. Place the target anywhere within 3” of its current location. Then, the target takes a non-Charge General Action chosen and controlled by this model.

:ram Involuntary Commitment: Once per Turn. Enemy only. After resolving the generated Action, Summon an Orderly into base contact with the target. 

:mask Touch of Madness: Target Discards a random card.

Tactical Actions:

Emergency Surgery (RG: 2”, STAT: 7:mask, RST: -, TN: 10): Other Living model only. Target Heals 1/2/3.

:mask Pulled Here and There: Push either this model or the target up to 3”.

:ToS-Fast:Dark Bargain (RG: 6”, STAT: 6, RST: -, TN: 10): Friendly only. Target suffers 1 damage and may then take the Interact Action.

 :crow Burn Out: Target suffers 2 damage and gains Fast

 

Ian Connor 8 Cost

Enforcer, Living

Asylum

 

6 DF 5 WP 5MV 2SZ

8 wounds, 30mm


 

By Your Side: At the start of this model’s Activation, it may discard a card to Place itself within 2” of a friendly non-Minion that shares a Keyword with it.

Hostile Work Environment: Enemy models within :aura6 may not be targeted by the Actions of other enemy models.

Restraining Tactics: Friendly Asylum models within :aura6 increase the range of their :meleeActions by +1”.

Restraints: Enemy models with Staggered that are engaged by this model are ignored by their controller for the purposes of Strategies and Schemes.

Research Specimens: After this model kills an enemy model, this model may draw a card.

Hard to Kill: When this model suffers damage, if it has 2 or more Health, it may not be reduced to below 1 Health.

----------

Attack Actions:

Staggering Punch (RG: :melee0”, STAT: 6, RST:  Df, TN: -): Target suffers 2/3/4 damage and gains Staggered.

:mask You’re Comin’ with Me: Push the target up to 3” in any direction, then Place this model into base contact with it.

:ram Can’t Breathe: Target must have Staggered. When resolving, the target suffers +2 damage.

Lead the Way (RG: 2”, STAT: 6, RST:  Df, TN: 11): This Action cannot target the same model more than once per Activation. Target model is Pushed 4” in any direction, then Push this model up to 4” toward the target.

:ram Sudden Strike: This model may take a :melee Action.

Tactical Actions:

:ToS-Fast: Electroshock Therapy(Rg: :new-Pulse:6”, STAT: 6, RST:  -, TN: 14): Enemy Models within range must each pass a TN 12 Wp duel suffer 1 damage and gain Staggered. Models that already had Staggered when this Action was declared and failed the duel must discard a card each.

:tome Surge: Draw a card.

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Cedar said:

I like the idea of expanding the Asylum keyword. Had some spare time, so I decided to write a concept for the master and the totem. I wanted to create deny master, who drains opponent resources, while creating difference in mobility between crews (enemies with staggered vs friendly models with movement tricks). I wanted to utilize the idea of weaker master combined with stronger totem too. Let me know what do you think :) 

 

Sigmund Von Horn 13 cost

Master, Living

Asylum

 

5 DF 6 WP 4MV 2SZ

10 wounds, 30mm


 

Persistent Therapy: Enemy models with Staggered that start their Activation engaged by friendly Asylum model must either discard a card, or this model may Drop a Scheme Marker in base contact with them, ignoring LoS.

Protected(Asylum): After this model is targeted by an enemy Attack Action, it may discard a card to change the target to a friendly Asylum model within 2” of this model (ignoring range, LoS and targeting restrictions).

Intuition: At the start of this model’s Activation, it may look at the top three cards of its Fate Deck and then return them in any order.

Sedatives: After a Staggered Condition ends on an enemy model within :aura6 outside of that model Activation, the enemy model gains Slow.

----------

Attack Actions:

View of the Endless (RG: 10”, STAT: 6, RST:  Wp, TN: -): Target suffers 1/2/3 damage and gains Staggered.

:crow Daze: Target gains Stunned and is Pushed up to 3” in any direction.

 

Dementia (RG: 10”, STAT: 5, RST: Wp, TN: 12): This Action cannot target the same model more than once per Activation. Non-Master only. Place the target anywhere within 3” of its current location. Then, the target takes a non-Charge General Action chosen and controlled by this model.

:ram Involuntary Commitment: Once per Turn. Enemy only. After resolving the generated Action, Summon an Orderly into base contact with the target. 

:mask Touch of Madness: Target Discards a random card.

Tactical Actions:

Emergency Surgery (RG: 2”, STAT: 7:mask, RST: -, TN: 10: 😞 Other Living model only. Target Heals 1/2/3.

:mask Pulled Here and There: Push either this model or the target up to 3”.

:ToS-Fast:Dark Bargain (RG: 6”, STAT: 6, RST: -, TN: 10: 😞 Friendly only. Target suffers 1 damage and may then take the Interact Action.

 :crow Burn Out: Target suffers 2 damage and gains Fast. 

 

Ian Connor 8 Cost

Enforcer, Living

Asylum

 

6 DF 5 WP 5MV 2SZ

8 wounds, 30mm


 

By Your Side: At the start of this model’s Activation, it may discard a card to Place itself within 2” of a friendly non-Minion that shares a Keyword with it.

Hostile Work Environment: Enemy models within :aura6 may not be targeted by the Actions of other enemy models.

Restraining Tactics: Friendly Asylum models within :aura6 increase the range of their :meleeActions by +1”.

Restraints: Enemy models with Staggered that are engaged by this model are ignored by their controller for the purposes of Strategies and Schemes.

Research Specimens: After this model kills an enemy model, this model may draw a card.

Hard to Kill: When this model suffers damage, if it has 2 or more Health, it may not be reduced to below 1 Health.

----------

Attack Actions:

Staggering Punch (RG: :melee0”, STAT: 6, RST:  Df, TN: -): Target suffers 2/3/4 damage and gains Staggered.

:mask You’re Comin’ with Me: Push the target up to 3” in any direction, then Place this model into base contact with it.

:ram Can’t Breathe: Target must have Staggered. When resolving, the target suffers +2 damage.

Lead the Way (RG: 2”, STAT: 6, RST:  Df, TN: 11): This Action cannot target the same model more than once per Activation. Target model is Pushed 4” in any direction, then Push this model up to 4” toward the target.

:ram Sudden Strike: This model may take a :melee Action.

Tactical Actions:

:ToS-Fast: Electroshock Therapy(Rg: :new-Pulse:6”, STAT: 6, RST:  -, TN: 14): Enemy Models within range must each pass a TN 12 Wp duel suffer 1 damage and gain Staggered. Models that already had Staggered when this Action was declared and failed the duel must discard a card each.

:tome Surge: Draw a card.

 

That is actually the best concept of master/totem I have seen.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Cedar said:

:ram Involuntary Commitment: Once per Turn. Enemy only. After resolving the generated Action, Summon an Orderly into base contact with the target

I'd probably have them come in slow at least. If not with a summon upgrade. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I'd probably have them come in slow at least. If not with a summon upgrade. 

I don't think they need slow, this model can only heal to be precise or act as meat for your crew. One weak model per turn for a trigger on a master is not OP. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I'd probably have them come in slow at least. If not with a summon upgrade. 

The name of the summon upgrade could be:

Working overtime: when this upgraded is attached the model gains Slow.

This model gain the following action:

:ToS-Fast:Doctor's Orders: Discard a Card. Friendly only. Move the target up to 4".

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information