Wokou Serving Darker Powers (or How I learned To Wonder What The Heck A Duel Is)

Morgan Vening

Question

OK, I'm toying around with a Last Blossom crew, and I'm wondering about a certain interaction that seems vaguely worded.

A Wokou Raider with the Servants Of Darker Powers. Wokou has Combat Finesse. SoDP grants Terrifying to a Minion.

Combat Finesse: When this model is targeted with a :melee Action, the Attacking model’s duel cannot be Cheated

Terrifying (11): After an enemy model targets this model with an Attack Action, the enemy model must pass a TN 11 Wp duel or the Action fails.

So, does the duel from Terrifying get affected by the uncheatability of Combat Finesse, or no?

I can see both possible interpretations being right, and am not sure which way it's supposed to actually be.

8 answers to this question

5 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Since combat finesse is singular (duel instead of duels), I would assume it means only the one particular duel (the duel to hit).

Terrifying is a duel, of course (it says right in the description they have to pass a willpower duel).

That it only references duel instead of the plural, was why I can see that interpretation.

But on the other hand, it could have been an oversight (the inclusion of "opposed" would have clarified it), and the use of the singular might have just been to make it clear it wasn't both duels.

Like I said, I can absolutely see both sides of this argument. I'm more on the side of it not working on the Terrifying, but I didn't want to assume that without asking the question.

43 minutes ago, Regelridderen said:

How will you get SoDP on a model in a Last Blossom crew?

The upgrades available to you is dependent on the master's faction, not the individual model.

You can't. But its still easy to get it on a Wokou raider.

I think the combat finesse should only apply to the opposed duel but its not 100% certain. Its popped up a few times, and I can't see a conclusive arguement, but the majority of people certainly seem to feel it shouldn't apply to the terrifying

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Adran said:

I think the combat finesse should only apply to the opposed duel but its not 100% certain. Its popped up a few times, and I can't see a conclusive arguement, but the majority of people certainly seem to feel it shouldn't apply to the terrifying

I completely agree on this. Seeing the Terrifying duel as something separate from the attack duel - like you don’t get bonus flips from Focus or negative flips from Distracted, Manipulative, Cover etc.