Hard to wound and disengage

Question

So this came up in my last game.

Does Hard to Wound (:-flipon damage flips) affect disengage tracks?

I argued yes, because it is an attack action making the flip like normal, my opponent argued no because it is move reduction rather than damage.

We ended up doing it didn't affect, but I am curious to see what the general opinion is, and if I was being silly....

4 answers to this question

I initially assumed it did affect it, same as you!

But hard to wound is for damage flips only. If someone gets a heal flip on your model, the heal doesn't get hit by hard to wound. Neither does disengage (unless it is specifically referred to as a damage flip somewhere that I missed).

• Agree 1
20 hours ago, Higgybeans said:

I argued yes, because it is an attack action making the flip like normal, my opponent argued no because it is move reduction rather than damage.

You're wrong, because you're misremembering what Disengage says.  Disengage doesn't say "treat the distance flip like a damage flip" or something else.  It only says specifically:

...  If the attack is successful, instead of its normal effects, reduce this model’s Push distance by 2/4/6 inches (using the Accuracy Fate Modifier of the Action). This flip receives a :+flip for every other enemy model engaging this model.

In other words, that 2/4/6 is a variable flip that gets subject to the accuracy modifier for the simple reason that the action says so.  It's an error to conclude "Oh, the Accuracy Modifier is a modifier for damage flips, so that variable flip must be a damage flip."  The most important thing is that the even though the Damage Flip rules introduce the Accuracy Fate Modifier rules, the first paragraph of Accuracy Fate Modifiers says explicitly that they're used for more:

Accuracy Fate Modifiers occur when there is a variable flip (often a damage flip) as the result of an opposed duel.

That means, by the way, that the "(using the Accuracy Fate Modifier of the Action)" in Disengage is a reminder, not a special case rule.  

• Like 1