Ten thunders noob...need list ideas please

Bengalius49

Welcome to the esteemed halls of the Ten Thunders, the true power in Malifaux.

I can't offer any actual experience but I can extend advise that was offered to me.

It's probably sensible to start getting all the boxes for your keyword(s) and start playing a few games to get a feeling for what the master and the keyword want to do. I think Misaki would be your best bet since Last Blossom offers a lot of different options for almost any situation: fast beaters, decent shooters, quick schemers and even some in-keyword summoning in the form of Minako Rei.

If you start feel like you need more durable fire power, get Samurai or Fuhatsu. If your opponent likes to torture you with status effects or you'd like healing and more focus, get Tanuki or Sun Quiang (who might also be a good starting point for branching out into Yan Lo).

Mei Feng needs constructs and is believed to better in Arcanists. However, a fun take with her might be to try a list containing a Dawn Serpent and an Obisidian Statue to really cash in on the Burning mechanic, but that's probably not too competitve.

I basically don't know anything about Shenlong, sorry. 😅 

Hope that helped a little bit.

In general, I recommend to new players that they get all the boxes for a keyword and play the heck out of those.

However, since you already have 3 core boxes, it might be worth buying 1-2 versatile boxes and using those? That way you can play full-size crews with everything just buying a bit of versatiles.

Depends how budget you want to be!

10 hours ago, Bengalius49 said:

Please help me!! I am a Malifaux noob, I have misaki, mei feng and she long box sets...but I would love some starting lists to get me going....please help?

Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of shared models or synergy between those keywords. There are a few shared models out there but with this mix Thunder Archers are the only one off hand (both Monk and Last Blossom) but I am not really a fan of those. There are some good versatile models in the faction though that any master can put to decent use (Samurai, Fuhatsu, Dawn Serpent, Lone Swordsman)...easy button answer is to get a combination of these and pick up a box of Low River Monks (or just one if you can get a single) for Shen and try some things out. 

The down side is most of the stuff you need/want for Mei is Arcanists so you aren't getting any mileage out of it with your other Masters (Metal Gamin, Metal Golem, Neil Henry, Mech Porkcop (Bayou)). This being the case you would probably get the most benefit out of focusing on Misaki and Shenlong initially. 

If you pick up two of the things I recommended above then just run the core box +  a couple of those choices. These will all be playable though they may not be the most tailored list as down the road you would certainly swap things around based on strategy/scheme pool and opponent. However, these will give you some play experience and a good starting point. Don't even make changes for the first 5 games....just runt he exact same thing over and over to get practice with how they function and what role each model should have. Then don't switch out more than 1 model for the next few games and get more reps and proficiency with what you have.

Misaki, Shang, Ototo, 3 x Torakage, Dawn Sepent/Fuhatsu/Samurai, Lone Swordsman + 5 Stones - this gives you Ototo, Fuhatsu (or Dawn Serpent/Samurai), and the Lone Swordsman to fight, the Torakage to scheme, Shang to heal, and Misaki herself who can switch roles real well. This also gives you plenty of stones for Misaki, Ototo, and Fuhatsu to prevent damage, hit critical suits, etc. With Lone Swordsman in there you also have the possibility of generating some more stones and another model with his own movement ability (Creep Along). You can always swap in an upgrade if you are willing to go lower on stones to try some more options. 

Shenlong, 2 x Aspiring Student, Sensei Yu, 2 x High River Monk, Dawn Serpent/Fuhatsu/Samurai, Lone Swordsman, Low River Monk + 4 Stones. Similarly this gives you lots of combat options, a little bit of healings and some scheming with your High River Monks or whichever beaters are needed to fight on a given moment. 

If you don't want to invest any extra money until you have tried out what you have then just run the full core box and add in some pieces from another box to get you to 45(Ish) stones and keep about 5 stones for utility. 

• Agree 1

I am mostly going to mirror what people said above. You should focus more on a single keyword rather than spreading out to multiple, because it's more difficult to make an efficient list. But since you're already there... look at some Versatile models to get more mileage. 

• Misaki: Loves versatile models and has no real keyword synergy. She'll be fine with pretty much any Versatile models.
  • Shenlong: Seems like he should have more synergy than he does within the keyword. Anything you pick up for Misaki, he'll also enjoy.
  • Mei Feng: She runs fine in Ten Thunders, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Though I find she prefers keyword models and runs more efficiently with them, and so she may drop down on your priority list until you want to commit the funds.

Which Versatile models to pick up? My favorites:

• Fuhatsu. Amazing ranged damage output, solid defensive abilities, balanced by low stats.
  • Dawn Serpent: One of the most mobile models in the faction, and quite durable with Hard to Kill and the ability to heal himself.
  • Minako Rei: Arguably runs best with Misaki, also likes Mei Feng. Comes with Wanyudo, who can run well with anybody and is highly mobile.

Sad that people are recommending the Lone Swordsman, because he's not available for sale anywhere :(

4 hours ago, regleant said:

I am mostly going to mirror what people said above. You should focus more on a single keyword rather than spreading out to multiple, because it's more difficult to make an efficient list. But since you're already there... look at some Versatile models to get more mileage. 

• Misaki: Loves versatile models and has no real keyword synergy. She'll be fine with pretty much any Versatile models.
  • Shenlong: Seems like he should have more synergy than he does within the keyword. Anything you pick up for Misaki, he'll also enjoy.
  • Mei Feng: She runs fine in Ten Thunders, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Though I find she prefers keyword models and runs more efficiently with them, and so she may drop down on your priority list until you want to commit the funds.

• Fuhatsu. Amazing ranged damage output, solid defensive abilities, balanced by low stats.
  • Dawn Serpent: One of the most mobile models in the faction, and quite durable with Hard to Kill and the ability to heal himself.
  • Minako Rei: Arguably runs best with Misaki, also likes Mei Feng. Comes with Wanyudo, who can run well with anybody and is highly mobile.

Sad that people are recommending the Lone Swordsman, because he's not available for sale anywhere :(

Sure Mei is "fine" in Thunders, but without any actual experience I would still dare to assume that there may be situations in which she'd like an Arachnid Swarm or a Mechanical Rider. And that's only optional if you run her as an Arcanist. 

Lone Swordsman is getting re-released in March as part of the 'Silent Strike' box, together with Samurai. 

4 hours ago, touchdown said:

I have limited experience (1 game with Misaki, 0 with Shen Long) but I think the Thunder Archers are nice. You are pretty easily getting a stat 8 attack that ignores concealing and friendly fire.

I think I'm one of the few people out there who hates the Thunder Archer. He has no way to free himself from melee combat, and in every game he does all of nothing then dies. I expect more out of an 8 point model. Though it's likely "user error", I never get any work done out of them. :(

6 hours ago, Maogrim said:

Sure Mei is "fine" in Thunders, but without any actual experience

Mei is fine in Ten Thunders. She is likely better in Arcanists, but that line of thinking doesn't help the problem we're solving for, now. I picked up Mei only because of the Nightmare box and had no intention of playing her, but once on the table, she became one of my favorites to put out there. I'm not going to dissuade anyone from her (or Yan Lo) simply because the other faction's build is better. Keep things positive!

Good to hear about Lone Swordman! Too bad I already have 3 Samurai... I wonder if I can find a single model somewhere, as he does look fun to play.

3 hours ago, regleant said:

I think I'm one of the few people out there who hates the Thunder Archer. He has no way to free himself from melee combat, and in every game he does all of nothing then dies. I expect more out of an 8 point model. Though it's likely "user error", I never get any work done out of them. :(

Mei is fine in Ten Thunders. She is likely better in Arcanists, but that line of thinking doesn't help the problem we're solving for, now. I picked up Mei only because of the Nightmare box and had no intention of playing her, but once on the table, she became one of my favorites to put out there. I'm not going to dissuade anyone from her (or Yan Lo) simply because the other faction's build is better. Keep things positive!

Oh, I wasn't trying to be negative. I own her Core Boxes as well (both Standard and 1988) and I'm sure she's a blast to play in Thunders!

Just thought it would be useful to know since the original poster didn't provide any information on how competitive he wanted to play. 

Yeah that (re)packaging thing can be an issue. I feel for players who would like Jessie Haliday for their Ten Thunders Wastrels and end up with an Alpinist and a Bellhop Porter to sell second hand. I could become one of them. 😅

8 minutes ago, Maogrim said:

Yeah that (re)packaging thing can be an issue. I feel for players who would like Jessie Haliday for their Ten Thunders Wastrels and end up with an Alpinist and a Bellhop Porter to sell second hand. I could become one of them. 😅

On the bright side, if the model looks like the sculpt on the box, I can't imagine anyone actually wants to put that model on the table 😜

It is one of the only instances of a Wyrd model that I've seen where I just had to go "did they even check this one?"

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

On the bright side, if the model looks like the sculpt on the box, I can't imagine anyone actually wants to put that model on the table 😜

It is one of the only instances of a Wyrd model that I've seen where I just had to go "did they even check this one?"

That is a factor, indeed. Kind of a shame if her neck would indeed look that weird. I like her Lara Croft vibe quite a bit, and she had nice chemistry with Lucas in their story in the Thunders book. 

The renders of the Hucksters have weird necks as well, but I never had a chance to look at the actual models. If they turned out alright, maybe there's a chance for Jessie?! 😅

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maogrim said:

That is a factor, indeed. Kind of a shame if her neck would indeed look that weird. I like her Lara Croft vibe quite a bit, and she had nice chemistry with Lucas in their story in the Thunders book. 

The renders of the Hucksters have weird necks as well, but I never had a chance to look at the actual models. If they turned out alright, maybe there's a chance for Jessie?! 😅

I have to put my Hucksters together soon, so will see! It does seem to be a weird long-necked keyword. Perhaps it is hinting at an inhuman ancestry story coming out??

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I have to put my Hucksters together soon, so will see! It does seem to be a weird long-necked keyword. Perhaps it is hinting at an inhuman ancestry story coming out??

So, after those filthy, honorless scoundrels from the Explorer's Society already stole the chance for a Jorugomu master/keyword with the introduction of their own sweetly balanced spider keyword... Giraffe people confirmed? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

2 hours ago, Maogrim said:

Do you remember the heat about the "Tomb Raider" movie, with the main lead having a crazy neck on the poster? Maybe this is a call back! 

For me I don't mind that you get other ES versatiles because I had McCabe in Guild, and now branching into ES so I can still use him!

On 2/20/2021 at 8:49 PM, thewrathchilde said:

Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of shared models or synergy between those keywords. There are a few shared models out there but with this mix Thunder Archers are the only one off hand (both Monk and Last Blossom) but I am not really a fan of those. There are some good versatile models in the faction though that any master can put to decent use (Samurai, Fuhatsu, Dawn Serpent, Lone Swordsman)...easy button answer is to get a combination of these and pick up a box of Low River Monks (or just one if you can get a single) for Shen and try some things out. 

Back to the original topic. What you can do (that my friend did) is get any box of the monks, and paint them the different colours to represent 1 of each monk type. They all look virtually identical and I don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference. Especially if they're distinct. This way you can have a look at each type to try around (although you would need the faction pack or app to track the cards).

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Qi and Gong relies heavely on Versatiles. I suggest watching video about that keyword. Youko is very good controller and having "better" Obey trigger in Blackmail. IMO Dawn Serpent gives better mobile option for Scheme running, Samurai compesate with lack of shooting (Kunoichi's shooting action Shuriken need very good setup with Distracted), Lust is very good option if you wish to play around Wp duels. 

If anyone wants to add feel free.

On 2/22/2021 at 6:11 PM, regleant said:

Lone Swordsman will be available next month if you check upcoming releases. Yes, I heard that Lone Swordsman is great option as Versatiles as such Samurais IMO

• Agree 1