Misaki versus Tara

Aemaru

If you're not on the table, Stealth does nothing; if you're on the table, most of Obliteration attacks at a 6" range or melee (a smattering of 10" stuff)... so not worth it.

The whole keyword, minus Talos, can attack buried models. If you bury Misaki turn 1, she will not see turn 2. Period.

If something else buries Misaki, you can just hop out, so keep your shadow marker generation up and mind your totem placement still.

Using Misaki against Tara you will need to think much more carefully how you use Misaki, because she won't be safe hidden buried, she will be vulnerable to being attacked. That doesn't mean you should completely avoid her bury mechanics, but you are more likely to want to unbury early in the turn, and use the bury as a way to teleport Misaki to where you want her. 

I'm not sure stealth is worth it for her, but that may depend on how you play, if you're happy to change your play style, then I'd probably try that, if you want to play Misaki the same way that you would against other masters, then stealth does at least allow that. 

Go with Shang late in the turn so that he can use his heal to unbury Misaki immediately if she gets buried by the enemy crew. If you're planning on going with Misaki first you can use her bury as an 8" reposition without that much risk (though you'll get beat on pretty badly by the Scion of the Void if you don't have stones for reduction).

If Misaki is buried by an enemy model she can unbury on one of her shadow markers to avoid the horrible repositioning of Glimpse the Void.

• Agree 1

Having played this match-up, I found it's not too terribly concerning to have Misaki buried. Her defensive stats are pretty solid, and can you bring her back out any any time you want. Maybe my opponent was bad? But if they are spending so many resources on "free shots" at Misaki, then they aren't doing other things that they need to do in order to win the game. 

And if you have a new opponent, they may forget that they can Charge and attack Misaki, totally losing ground on scenario and board control (which is how I won).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Take out Karina quickly. She gives Tara a lot more survivability but can go down pretty easy to Misaki.... then take out Tara before she can summon more and take advantage of the multiple activations. 

if you use OOK options Charm Warders are pretty good- like Archers (in Keyword) they ignore incorporeal and attack pretty well against the Wretches, Hunters, Karina and even the Scion when you have the Rams for irreducible. Additionally if you have high Crows they can auto-kill summons and their Bonus Action (Chaos Theory) gets around incorporeal also since it's a tactical action.

from my newbie point of view, i fell like Misaki is very versatile in her capabilities and can perform well almost all strats and schemes and is able to deal with almost all ennemi masters.

Is there some matchup, in tournement or some strat /schemes that will make you choose another master to be more efficient ?

A lot of it comes down to personal preference in a match. Thunders is blessed with a lot of versatile masters that can play well into a lot of pools.

For me (opinion only) I look at other masters when I am going to fight a continuous attrition fight with multi-round combats (against a lot of Hard to Wound and Armor or high Armor) as her crew is better in one round fights and hit-and-run engagements or if I think I am going to be dealing with a lot of Terrifying/Manipulative as her crew doesn't have many Ruthless models (Ototo). 

Looking at Strategies, for Ley Lines I prefer Lynch, McCabe, or Shenlong (and sometimes Yan Lo) since all their crews have pushes that can help move the ball up the field. Misaki can play Ley Lines but most of her movement tricks comes from places and the ball carrier can't be placed. She has some models (Torkage) that are fast enough on their own MV 7/Agile they can probably carrier the ball without assistance but I prefer the other keywords. You can also make an argument for Youko in this strategy because of the amount of lures but there aren't many people that will make an argument for Youko for anything.

Symbols is a strategy where I really like Misaki's crew- it is probably what I think is her best strategy. Hitting the marker once and moving on works well with her style of play and with the rules for placing the markers work well with her ability to put down Shadow Markers and bury and be able to control/support/threaten multiple areas at a time. She also can put out multiple models with 2" reach that can help deny/protect your models. The one limit she has in this strategy is a lack of models with Don't Mind Me but her crew is maneuverable enough they can often get to an unprotected side of the marker and pick it up. This is a strategy almost any of the Thunders masters can play in and it really comes down to preference- I like Misaki, McCabe, and Yan Lo but could easily see someone playing almost any one of the Thunders masters (except maybe Youko) in it. 

Recover Evidence is a good strategy for her. The hit-and-run style that allows her to surgically pick and remove individual models work well in this strategy. The only downside she has in this strategy, like Symbols, is a lack of Don't Mind Me but she (and her crew) can move, isolate, and remove select enemy models well enough if isn't much of an issue. Another limit in this is the lack of Lures which can help bring those models with Evidence markers in making it easier to get them and pull your opponent's crew out of position and off game plan but she can get the job done without them. In this strategy I like Misaki but also like Asami, McCabe, and Lynch in this as well...this is probably THE strategy for Youko as well but while i have her models have yet to have a reason to finish painting her crew and put her on the table. 

Public Enemies is another good strategy for Misaki. She can build a pretty effective crew of primarily 6 SS models with one or two tanks that cost more but can also be really hard to take down. She can get in there and get the kills while making it hard for your opponent to get the Bounty Tokens necessary to score. This is a pretty good strategy for any of the Thunders masters as they can all (asterisk by Youko) make crews that can kill pretty well however, most of the others can't toe the 6SS line as effectively as she can to deny points as well. I like her in this strategy, I also like McCabe, Asami, and Yanlo (and maybe Lynch) in this strategy as well. 

Schemes and match-ups are a longer discussion...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1