More to Hoffman Than Meets the Eye?

admiralvorkraft

I just played my first game with Hoffman in M3e and he's undeniably good. But it felt very straight forward - take a couple good models, give them power tokens, make them fast. 

I took a pretty non-optimized crew, focusing on models I already own, and won handily. I guess what I'm asking is - is there a second level to Hoffman? Or is it really that transparent and linear of a crew?

• Like 1

Hoffman is super good in M3E. You are right, the abundance of power tokens just gives a fairly straightforward way to play.

Positioning in and out of the bubble is still important, but it still feels more 'auto-pilot' than other crews to me.

He is mainly about the beatdown though, so certain strat/scheme/deployment pools will be more suited to him than others.

Watch out for opponents with lots of WP based attacks as that WP 4/5 hurts.

10 minutes ago, admiralvorkraft said:

Yeah, that all sounds about right. He'll probably stay on the shelf then as I have more fun losing with janky left-field crews. 

It was just a weird experience to put a crew on the table for the first time and go, "yes, this is what the crew does," just immediately. Like, almost zero learning curve. 

That was my experience. That being said, he also has a huge theme to pick from so there are lots of options to try and lots of playstyles to try.

44 minutes ago, trikk said:

I do think he has a learning curve

First of all: he's super card hungry.
Second of all: using the bonus take some preplanning
Third: mixing healing and fasts isn't as easy as it seems versus opponents that know how to play against him

For sure -  I especially felt the card hungry bit. Obviously nothing in Malifaux is really point-and-click. But the most rewarding part of the game for me is figuring out weird ways to respond to the board state and it really seems like Hoffman is just a resource management "problem." 

Again, I'm not saying he's bad. He's...very clearly not.  Which may also be a bit of the turn-off for me :P

1 hour ago, 4thstringer said:

That was my experience. That being said, he also has a huge theme to pick from so there are lots of options to try and lots of playstyles to try.

One of the reasons I felt like I had to play him is he's about the only Guild crew I have most of the models for. I'm only missing Riotbreakers and some Arcanist stuff (assuming I can proxy a 1e Ryle for Melissa). Looking at his keyword though it seems like, while he has a lot of tech picks in keyword, they don't change the rhythm of how he plays that much. 

45 minutes ago, trikk said:

I had Focus +3 Hoffman beat the shit out of me with his fists so there's also that :D 

Mobile Toolkit? That 2/4/6 damage track isn't nothing, and Spool Up is built in which is nice. I punched a couple things.

I think three big bois (I ran Joss, Guardian, Melissa) and then minions based on scheme/strat/opponent looks like the default way to build. I ran with 3ss thinking that Power Tokens would make up the difference but I probably wanted more like 5...

I think Hoffman is a lot more vercitile in arcanists and has a lot more options. While guild have lead lines coat and phiona (and the effy) , that's really all there is for Hoffman to support so isn't as much choice compared to arcanists who have, emmy, effy, the rider, spiders of various form, envy, metal Golem/gamin and corphee 

Sure, but he still just heals them and makes them fast. 

It's good because he takes baseline good models and makes them better. It's also pretty superficial, which isn't a problem, I'm just not going to play him much because there's no "eureka!" moments where you figure out how some circumstantial abilities come together and unlock new paths to victory. It's just, take the good models, win the fights, score the points. 

1 hour ago, admiralvorkraft said:

Sure, but he still just heals them and makes them fast. 

It's good because he takes baseline good models and makes them better. It's also pretty superficial, which isn't a problem, I'm just not going to play him much because there's no "eureka!" moments where you figure out how some circumstantial abilities come together and unlock new paths to victory. It's just, take the good models, win the fights, score the points. 

u need to look deeper

maybe some new tactics abt using all these  models

19 minutes ago, Plaag said:

u need to look deeper

maybe some new tactics abt using all these  models

*shrug* you and I probably won't have super productive conversations. I'll never bring more than a model or two out of keyword, and those will never be the S-tier models if I can help it. I won't take a rider, I won't bring a ss miner in Arcanists or Phiona in Guild unless I have a very specific use for them. I played pre-Erata Lucius in 2e, so. That's me.

If Hoffman after ten games plays more or less the easy he played after one then I'm not going to waste my time putting those reps in. And it sounds like that's pretty much the case from the conversation here. 

I gotta say, I'm disappointed by this thread.

Cause I thought for sure it was going to be a thread about a Transformers themed Hoffman crew.

That it isn't, makes me sad.

I went with HoffVengers (not pictured, RESCUE Kore, CapMarvel Howard, Black Panther Joss, Lady Sif Guardian, and Bucky and Groot+Rocket Riotbreakers).

Did want to add this was not my work. I commissioned them from painters more talented than I.

1613595317036786677771.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Morgan Vening said:

I gotta say, I'm disappointed by this thread.

Cause I thought for sure it was going to be a thread about a Transformers themed Hoffman crew.

That it isn't, makes me sad.

I went with HoffVengers (not pictured, RESCUE Kore, CapMarvel Howard, Black Panther Joss, Lady Sif Guardian, and Bucky and Groot+Rocket Riotbreakers).

In fairness, my Hoffman crew in the app is titled, "Autobots Roll Out!"

And that's a really fun Hoffman crew you've got there :) 

• Haha 1