Jump to content

Waldo's Weekly - Getting the Party Started


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, SEV said:

Will the models be available through your special orders program?

The Special Order program is specifically for new models that have been packaged with old models. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, MrPieChee said:

Anyone else a little sad they come preassembled?

I definitely prefer to assemble them myself, specially after seeing the improvement in the matrix of new M3E models, but I understand why in a starter box they come preassembled. I think it's nice that a new player can just go to the store, buy that box and start playing right away a Henchman Hardcore game :)

 

  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ShinChan said:
51 minutes ago, MrPieChee said:

Anyone else a little sad they come preassembled?

I definitely prefer to assemble them myself, specially after seeing the improvement in the matrix of new M3E models, but I understand why in a starter box they come preassembled. I think it's nice that a new player can just go to the store, buy that box and start playing right away a Henchman Hardcore game

Yep agreed.  M3e sculps have been getting really really cool (and really hard to paint cause they're so cool) and I enjoy assembling them (otherwise i would of left years ago), but man from a person selling the game to someone who's a bit iffy on wargames, pre-assembled will be amazing to get them in the door or to do a quick demo / prizes.

  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrPieChee said:

Anyone else a little sad they come preassembled?

I am very disappointed. Certainly probably a pipe dream but I hope these models make their way into the normal Malifaux plastics. In my mind the preassembled models are a solution looking for a problem. The folks doing the assembly will never do the work with the care and precision that I want and I'll be proxying or converting all the models that come this way.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, the tick said:

I am very disappointed. Certainly probably a pipe dream but I hope these models make their way into the normal Malifaux plastics. In my mind the preassembled models are a solution looking for a problem. The folks doing the assembly will never do the work with the care and precision that I want and I'll be proxying or converting all the models that come this way.

Exactly this - at $55 for 4 models the assembly has to be perfect, and I've not seen that with preassembled models.

One piece and preassembled are completely different beasts.

It'll be great to see more versatile's for all the factions, and this looks to be great content, but pvc and cardboard don't say $55 to me.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sold on the preassembly either. I can't say I'm not personally disappointed. Unfortunately my experience with TOS models has not been great - this is far from the only badly assembled model I have. I didn't want to get replacements from Wyrd, even though I'm sure that would have been fine so I just cut and filled them myself and swore off buying any more. I can totally see the point of preassembly to help newer hobbyists, not just new to Malifaux players, but personally I'd rather have the control over my modelling. If there was some way of simply deconstructing them without damaging the PVC I'd be fine with that.   

TOS preassembled.jpg

  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually prefer building my own models, but after checking the quality of the latest preassembled models (the Pandora alt. crew and the Fat Cap) I don't mind these models being already assembled. Comparing my models from TOS against these latest preassembled model the increase in quality has been so good that I will buy these starters without any doubt. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I, too, would've preferred them as normal Faux minis instead of PVC.

The price tag is also somewhat high. English Ivan box (to pick a random example from the upcoming page) is the same cost and comes with seven minis instead of four and they aren't PVC. I already have enough Fate decks (so happy I didn't buy the latest faction fate decks!) and since I play multiple Factions and these are Versatiles it's a hefty price increase for inferior product. The widget is cool but again, I don't need several of them.

  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

I, too, would've preferred them as normal Faux minis instead of PVC.

The price tag is also somewhat high. English Ivan box (to pick a random example from the upcoming page) is the same cost and comes with seven minis instead of four and they aren't PVC. I already have enough Fate decks (so happy I didn't buy the latest faction fate decks!) and since I play multiple Factions and these are Versatiles it's a hefty price increase for inferior product. The widget is cool but again, I don't need several of them.

that's kind of unavoidable with a starter box and existing players right? You don't need the deck, tokens, measuring tools, but a new player does. They either have to have 2 boxes with the models and thus overall higher costs or us existing players have to buy stuff we don't need for the models.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, touchdown said:

that's kind of unavoidable with a starter box and existing players right? You don't need the deck, tokens, measuring tools, but a new player does. They either have to have 2 boxes with the models and thus overall higher costs or us existing players have to buy stuff we don't need for the models.

That's true, however 55$ (before tax) is an expensive price for what it comes in the box. Usually, starting box (or start collecting boxes, pun intended) should have a more attractive price... That price is terrible to attract new players.

  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, touchdown said:
12 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

I, too, would've preferred them as normal Faux minis instead of PVC.

The price tag is also somewhat high. English Ivan box (to pick a random example from the upcoming page) is the same cost and comes with seven minis instead of four and they aren't PVC. I already have enough Fate decks (so happy I didn't buy the latest faction fate decks!) and since I play multiple Factions and these are Versatiles it's a hefty price increase for inferior product. The widget is cool but again, I don't need several of them.

that's kind of unavoidable with a starter box and existing players right? You don't need the deck, tokens, measuring tools, but a new player does. They either have to have 2 boxes with the models and thus overall higher costs or us existing players have to buy stuff we don't need for the models.

Agreed.  Yes I don't need any more fate decks (i totally have 30+ at this point) and unless I'm getting cool acrylic tokens I'll keep using the other ones I have, but even tho I'm not going to use em, I think it's a good idea to have starters be ... well... starters.  I just hope they include something similar to the quick startup rules in the M2e starter box, cause I know those rules were part of the reason I bought them (not saying they were great, but is nice to have a 'you just bought into a intricate system, breath it'll be ok' bootstrap course).

I know it's a bit frustrating as a long time player who only does 50 stone games to be like 'why am i paying for stuff I won't use', but as a new player I did use it.  I still use the NB starter deck (even after buying every other new deck I could find) and I used the measuring tape until it broke (and it totally made me a tape only guy even after buying nice acrylic widgets), so I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of the old starter box.

As for price, the half blood box is 45 (tho it has an extra tuco model), one flew over is 35 (but it is four 30mm models), these starters are 55.  Considering that a fate deck is MRSP 13-15, it puts these in the 48 - 60 dollar range if we used the old m2e starter models(depending on which you start at and how the decks cost), so 55 sits in the center.  I know it feels a bit expensive, but we haven't seen anything about the other boxes.  So yes, the explorers box is a 40mm and three 30mm modes, but what if another faction gets 4 50mm models (cmon chonky guild models!)?  If I were wyrd I'd go for the same price on all starters, and if that's the case, it'll prolly end up that a couple end up feeling a bit pricier and others cheaper for how much plastic you get.  I also doubt the profit margin is all that great on these but I'll never know that.

Talking about Staters does remind me about how much my mentality towards this game has changed since I started.  Starting out I was very '50 stones or why bother' but after doing demo games / etc, I'm happy to field any amount of models from a psueto starter to HH to 35 stones (I think i played a 38 stone game a few weeks ago, ha).  So I'm not viewing these as just '4 more models for me to put in my faction' if they're truely good HH crews / good for learning, I'll use em in demo games (instead of having to figure something out on the fly) and give the decks/tokens to players who need/want em or use em for prizes.

  • Like 2
  • Respectfully Disagree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, muraki said:

As for price, the half blood box is 45 (tho it has an extra tuco model), one flew over is 35 (but it is four 30mm models), these starters are 55.  Considering that a fate deck is MRSP 13-15, it puts these in the 48 - 60 dollar range if we used the old m2e starter models(depending on which you start at and how the decks cost), so 55 sits in the center.  I know it feels a bit expensive, but we haven't seen anything about the other boxes.  So yes, the explorers box is a 40mm and three 30mm modes, but what if another faction gets 4 50mm models (cmon chonky guild models!)?  If I were wyrd I'd go for the same price on all starters, and if that's the case, it'll prolly end up that a couple end up feeling a bit pricier and others cheaper for how much plastic you get.  I also doubt the profit margin is all that great on these but I'll never know that.

If the Gremlins are all mounted, they are probably bigger, yeah. But the Outcasts box seemed to have just normal-sized people in it so it remains to be seen which one is the "standard".

But really, I think that 55 bucks for a fate deck, four PVC minis and some cardboard tokens is kinda hefty and IME product billed as starter sets are usually the most competitive pricing-wise.

Carnevale starter set (to pick another skirmish game) is £65 but it has 16 minis (one-piece resin), a 240-page rulebook, a whole cardboard battlefield with 8 buildings and 9 tiles as well as dice and templates and so on. Two of these Faux starters absolutely pales in comparison and is 20% more expensive to boot. Now, I do naturally realize that Malifaux is one of the most expensive skirmish games so the comparison isn't very fair but even within the framework of Malifaux I feel that the starter sets are kinda expensive.

  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am mainly an Infinity player outside of Malifaux and I am even one of the long time Warcors there, and I defenitely second the weird pricing for a so-called starter set. 
A one-on-one comparison to the Infinity starter boxes shows: 

- Infinity: 2-player starter boxes included a paper mat, enough card board terrain for said mat, dice, tokens, measuring tools, introductionary rules booklet, 14 high detailed metal miniatures (7 for each faction/player, including 2 limited models) for 110€. 
Compared to regular prices, that results in a player paying for two typical faction starters (2x 6 miniatures) and getting everything else on top. So, it was a real steal. 
Those boxes were a huge success, by the way. 

- Malifaux: see above

So, yes, it's no price I would see fit for a beginner's set and it's not really attractive for fans. 
But let's be honest, most of us will most likely buy it anyways, as the miniatures will be great and the game certainly is. 

About Malifaux in general: it might be expensive on a per miniature perspective but compared to anything GW or PP it's still rather cheap. 
I really hope that Wyrd doesn't (have to) go over the top. As soon as things are getting too expensive the whole thing can easily crumble to nothing (see PP). 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information