Nexus: An NPE like no other

Kharnage

Tbh just watching the game, only end of turn 1 and with wrath and that crew both totems should have been dead turn 1 with meredith not being in range to fire off a couple of shockwaves, also archivist wouldn't have been in range either.

Gave up watching in turn 2. Surprised nekima didn't blood for blood to kill bezerker then go kill the other nest and eyes and ears on its own. Would have left her 2 wounds up and not been around for meredith to attack. Would have given some activation control too.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Just watching Plaag live playing Nexus atm.

It seems like Nexus struggles with scoring points that aren't near the opponent (although maybe I just haven't seen him doing that), so schemes might be a good place to gain an advantage against Nexus?

I think that Nexus will always favor the strategies and schemes that don't require them to ball. The only strategy which at the moment does that is.... Symbols of Authority, and schemes Nexus will always have a natural advantage on with the Will of Cadmus last-always AP. 
Even if we see a GG2 where avoiding your opponent at all costs is the way to play the game, "just try to play a single player game" doesn't seem to me like A: a healthy game, or B: an indicator that Nexus is balanced.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Kharnage said:

I think that Nexus will always favor the strategies and schemes that don't require them to ball. The only strategy which at the moment does that is.... Symbols of Authority, and schemes Nexus will always have a natural advantage on with the Will of Cadmus last-always AP. 
Even if we see a GG2 where avoiding your opponent at all costs is the way to play the game, "just try to play a single player game" doesn't seem to me like A: a healthy game, or B: an indicator that Nexus is balanced.

Oh, for sure, I'm coming around on Cadmus (and Ivan).

They both have a "don't come within 12"/17" inches and you can live" vibe, similar to pre-nerf Archie except moreso.

I think they are probably beatable, but probably only by S tier stuff.

I have no idea what I'm talking about, but would an elite TT McCabe Crew have game against Cadmus? I'm thinking about Sidir Alchibal, Desper LaRaux and/or Hucksters, Samurai and/or Fuhatsu. 

You should have the mobility and scheming potential while also being able to do some serious damage from afar. And I assume Sidir should be able to say Sayonara to those Web Markers and blow them to hell. 

1 minute ago, Maogrim said:

I have no idea what I'm talking about, but would an elite TT McCabe Crew have game against Cadmus? I'm thinking about Sidir Alchibal, Desper LaRaux and/or Hucksters, Samurai and/or Fuhatsu. 

You should have the mobility and scheming potential while also being able to do some serious damage from afar. And I assume Sidir should be able to say Sayonara to those Web Markers and blow them to hell. 

Someone just tried that and really struggled against Plaag, he'll probably post the video later.

2 hours ago, Plaag said:

as not bad arcanist player i can tell that kaeris will do nothing there

I played that game at one point, and I found that lowering the Df of the Emissary with injured worked fairly well. But that was the only time I have played/faced Emissary in Cadmus. (I also play a Kaeris that likes putting pyres out and uses gamin to place the pyres under enemies, so it might not be the normal approach, I think I got the emissary to burning 10 at one point). 

I repeat my question from earlier (I can't watch the videos so don't know)- Is it Cadmus (In good hands) or is it a set list that is the problem? If Cadmus doesn't hire the emissary is it still so bad for example? Is there a set "broken" thing, or is it the combination of a whole bunch of things that when combined are a problem? Because my Cadmus experience wasn't against this list, but had them as strong but fair keyword. You needed to change they way you play against them, but you could still play with a reasonable chance

1 hour ago, Maogrim said:

just look at legislat post

27 minutes ago, Adran said:

I played that game at one point, and I found that lowering the Df of the Emissary with injured worked fairly well. But that was the only time I have played/faced Emissary in Cadmus. (I also play a Kaeris that likes putting pyres out and uses gamin to place the pyres under enemies, so it might not be the normal approach, I think I got the emissary to burning 10 at one point). 

I repeat my question from earlier (I can't watch the videos so don't know)- Is it Cadmus (In good hands) or is it a set list that is the problem? If Cadmus doesn't hire the emissary is it still so bad for example? Is there a set "broken" thing, or is it the combination of a whole bunch of things that when combined are a problem? Because my Cadmus experience wasn't against this list, but had them as strong but fair keyword. You needed to change they way you play against them, but you could still play with a reasonable chance

My impression of discord conversations is that there are a lot of powerful things, when added together with a good player, combine to be overpowered.

You have to deploy around the nests, and then they don't even have to deploy near you once they've had that effect. A section of the board is controlled by the two nests. Archivist adds tons of power. The crew has a very strong summoning engine that screams "come to me or I snowball." The crew has a very strong bubble effect that screams "come near me and die."

And then We Are Legion can negate several damage per activation by combining it with shielded, or it can turn damage around onto your opponent with parasite tokens. The moment you get a parasite token the model melts from We Are Legion, and it serves to protect the enemy while it is dying.

That said, I've not had my crack against it yet. I hope to challenge Plaag in a week or two when life calms down.

1 hour ago, Adran said:

just look at the video, both of them

3 minutes ago, Plaag said:

just look at the video, both of them

TBH I think both opponents were a bit resigned to defeat. At least the two I saw.

Not to say anything bad about them as players (I know Kharnage for example is insanely good), but I wouldn't hold up those particular videos as good examples.

That said, the wider set of points that I tried to outline above in response to Adrans question do spell out quite a powerful crew.

• Agree 1

suggestions:

totems-combined hp8+htw, puny

meredith-vial once per activation, increase tn by 8

nexus- can draw los and range in aura of 10, not  12" without los, remove siphon power, give suit on summon, increase tn; make her second bonus action as atack/enemy only ; remove after resolving timing from upgrade trigger

we are legion - make wording right: to model that has been not chosen by any we are legion ability this activation

archivist-ill omens 1, make his ignoring htk and demise only if opp doesnt discard a card on crows trigger, remove vanish trigger from bonus action, remove card drawing from his atack, make his dmg track 3/4/5

emissary/effigy-healing onece per activation

cryptologist - make his action not for replacement effects at the start of activation

eyes and ears-mindless, remove demise

spelleater-make his bonus action as atack/enemy only

• Thanks 1

Oh, and one more major thing - the crew has a "my models are insignificant for you but not for me" thing going thanks to Will of Cadmus, so Nests can score symbols of authority or scheme, but you can't score points for working through their 8 health.

EDIT: honestly if you could score points off the nests for recover evidence, public enemies, take prisoner, etc, the crew would suddenly be MUCH easier to handle. Should have given them a "can't take the interact action" and then had Will of Cadmus trigger negate that.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Plaag said:

just look at legislat post

Oh, so you already did that. I will try to watch, but three hours is a bit of an ask.

So I would really appreciate if you or your opponent were to provide some written analysis on why the McCabe shooting approach didn't work out as intended :). Or at least I assume it didn't ;)

On 2/11/2021 at 2:24 AM, Korrok said:

I can't help but feel like nephilim was a poor choice going into cadmus.

this isnt the first time people have said something like this. seems like you are forgetting one of the core concepts to Mlaifaux is that you declare Faction and THEN Master, AT THE SAME TIME. what the 2 authors are saying is that it is a horrible matchup of Nephilim into Cadmus. You dont get to know they are playing Cadmus until you have already declared your faction, and then reveal masters at the same time.
what people need to be looking at is how many masters Cadmus invalidates entirely. if there are too many of those, then there is a problem, as bringing any of those masters into a game against ES could mean an instant loss. can you have silver bullets to certain abilities of crews, sure. but you cant make a majority of master choices subpar-to-unplayable

• Agree 2