New Player Master selection help

Wolar

Hello, my friend convinced me that we should try to buy and play Malifaux so I've spent past few days trying to select the master I will buy first to try the game. I've never played any miniatures games before but I do play a lot of board games, tcgs etc.

I think I will like to play something crazy (both lore and mechanic wise), I like high risk - high reward, unique and weird things and I really like trying to make unusual things work. I don't like to play the "meta" overpowered things and I don't think I would like some master with simple & straight game plan like shooting everything and that's it.

I'm currently considering following:

Wong (or other Bayou master) for being weird / crazy. I just feel that I would need to buy like 4+ boxes (I like pigapult) just for the wong and I feel that he might be even too weak to make him work.

The Dreamer - even though not really crazy, I really like that filtering fate deck ability and nightmare thematic in general. But from reading this forum I feel like he is kind of overpowered and very popular, I don't really want to come to the local community where there are 5 other Dreamers being played (no idea what local meta is).

But I'm open to basically any other master recommendation. As I said weird / crazy / unique and I think I would also like something with fate deck / hand / cards manipulations.

Thank you!

My favorite master this edition is Lucius,  spend the first part of the turn sculpting your hand then send in the beater to wreck face.  There is a ton of out of activation actions which can be great for a lot of schemes. You can do chain orders to get models you  opponent didn't think you could give orders to do something. It's great to use your opponent's models or actions against them.

• Like 2

Well Dreamer is definitely in the top of the "meta" overpowered things so might not wanna go that route.

Wong & Ulix are both of the crazy mechanic scale in Bayou, and Zipp is the pirate king of crazy lore. Currently Ophelia is the cheapest entry in the whole game as the entire keyword is in 2 boxes; her mechanics are unique and her lore is good

Lucius is very high risk high reward, unique mechanics & impeccable lore, with a steep.... STEEP learning curve; I wouldn't recommend as a first master because it's so hard. But, I've seen people do it and come out amazing, eventually. Zoraida is also similar to Lucius in a different way, but also in that "meta" overpowered things group.

Keeping in Neverborn, Euripides is the next most unique mechanic but minimal lore because he's new.

The other more unique mechanics that are not dominating the scene are Leveticus in Outcast, Marcus in Arcanists/Neverborn, Jack Daw in Resserectionists/Outcast, Jacob Lynch in Ten Thunders, & Maxine Agassiz in Explorer's Society (but her stuff is not out yet).

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

The other more unique mechanics that are not dominating the scene are Leveticus in Outcast, Marcus in Arcanists/Neverborn, Jack Daw in Resserectionists/Outcast, Jacob Lynch in Ten Thunders, & Maxine Agassiz in Explorer's Society (but her stuff is not out yet).

I agree with your entire post - but is Levi not tearing it up for once? My "meta" is like three people 😛

Just a heads up - the pigapult was my biggest "feels bad" moment in tabletop gaming. It's a big expensive box, with a tiny sprue. The gremlins head is several pieces, and despite the small sprue, the frame of the catapult doesn't fit on the base!

Rules seem great for it, but a few lolly sticks can make most of the model!

Dreamer is lot of fun, quite versatile...but actually not that deep. You summon and beat things up with a superior deck, the end.

-

I’d go with the one whose models makes you want to paint the most. It won’t be your only master in the long run anyway... Play some games, learn to play and you’ll be in a much better place to choose a master based on playstyle.

• Agree 2

Resurrectionists also have Molly. She has tons of hand manipulation for herself, and lots of abilities based on the opponent's hand size. So there's a lot you have to do to time things around hand sizes, drain your opponent's hand, etc.

Her totem can make the opponent draw cards to manipulate their hand size, her little murder children teleport around the table, and more.

Definitely worth a look, and not really a popular crew.

For 'strange' mechanics in general, though, I would probably say Bayou is your best bet. They have all sorts of weird shenanigans (like Zipp dropping pianos out of the sky).

4 hours ago, admiralvorkraft said:

I agree with your entire post - but is Levi not tearing it up for once? My "meta" is like three people 😛

52 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Resurrectionists also have Molly. She has tons of hand manipulation for herself, and lots of abilities based on the opponent's hand size. So there's a lot you have to do to time things around hand sizes, drain your opponent's hand, etc.

Her totem can make the opponent draw cards to manipulate their hand size, her little murder children teleport around the table, and more.

Definitely worth a look, and not really a popular crew.

Metas are a weird thing.  Here, Levi has been played so much it's either been countered by repetition or people got bored using him, while every Resser and their grandmother they brought back from the dead plays Molly.

... meanwhile somehow Dreamer is universally everywhere.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies, I really like Maxine and also “I’d go with the one whose models makes you want to paint the most.“ really helped. Since she is not released so far and I have no idea when she will be, I will probably start with Lucas McCabe which I also liked during browsing the Explorers Society (and he is quite cheap I think I can get the crew in 1 big and 1 small box) and if I like the game I will buy Maxine with her crew as soon as she is released. Thanks again :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wolar said:

Thank you all for your replies, I really like Maxine and also “I’d go with the one whose models makes you want to paint the most.“ really helped. Since she is not released so far and I have no idea when she will be, I will probably start with Lucas McCabe which I also liked during browsing the Explorers Society (and he is quite cheap I think I can get the crew in 1 big and 1 small box) and if I like the game I will buy Maxine with her crew as soon as she is released. Thanks again :)

Really good idea about keeping it small - and aside from McCabe being cool modelwise, he is a master that has a lot of range. So have fun.