2021 Monthly Painting Challenge - February

Caedrus

Greetings, fellow painters, and welcome to the Monthly Painting Challenge for February!

Everything you need to know for the Challenge is right HERE.

February - the shortest month of the year. So, here's a challenge for you. Paint a single Malifaux miniature in a single day, from sprue to varnish!

(Obviously, if you choose anything other than a Terracotta Warrior, you're mad). Also...

1MiV2pG.jpg

Those painters who completed the Challenge in 2020 have had a pretty forum badge added. This is something I thought would be some further encouragement to our painters. I asked the Wyrd folks if they could do this, and they were super-supportive! I'd like to particularly thank @Kimberly and @Nathan Caroland for supporting us with this gesture - as well as the unsung heroes of Wyrd for making this forum a good place to be. Sincerely - Thanks, guys!

I am hopeful that we can recognise those painters who complete the 2021 Challenge - but that's 11 months away! We all know how ... interesting 2020 was.

Have a fantastic February, look after yourself and your loved ones, and keep those brushes damp!

Caedrus.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

So, for this month, I have a number of objectives. Here goes:

sYdiVs0.jpg

1. Complete Alt Vanessa;
  2. Complete Hannah (huge task);
  3. Complete my Hodgepodge Emissary;
  4. Paint Alt. Lazarus;
  5. Paint Alt Taelor (Miss Deed);
  6. Paint Barbaros;
  7. Undertake one piece of terrain for my themed Malifaux Board;
  8. Paint a single miniature, as per my Challenge, above; and
  9. Retouch my Freikorps to be thematically consistent.

That's a ridiculous undertaking. It's never going to happen, and I'm a fool to try it.

Let's see what happens. Photos to come.

Caedrus.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Maogrim said:

Um... How can you have already 14 Stones finished for February if it's still January?! 😅 

Those Woes look great though! 

To be honest, just finished them yesterday through basing and vanishing though. But I thought, why not Givin it already for February xD

• Haha 2

I'll gladly join the painting challenge in February. I'd be really happy if I manage to get a full crew done by the end of the year and this challenge might give the needed kick / motivation not to get sidetracked. I'm aiming at the 'henchman' status and take my mulligan for January. And I made myself a promise not to buy a new box unless I painted at least one miniature from my last purchase ;)

I'll start with Colette for this month.

• Like 4

On 1/29/2021 at 11:15 AM, Caedrus said:

Paint a single Malifaux miniature in a single day, from sprue to varnish!

Whut?!?! 😱 How should this even be possible? I most likely will fail, here, when I look at my average 7-8 hours per model 😭 Especially so, as everything on my painting schedule for the month which is still on sprue are two Dead Dandies and those models are so grogeously detailed. So, see me announcing to fail on this month's challenge.
But beware! This will not keep me from painting. 

Thanks for everybody participating, those almost daily updates in a shared painting process really give me the all needed motivational bump.

• Like 3

So, what I'll do for February slightly depends on what will actually be delivered. If the missing piece Wyrd sent by the end of December arrives I'll paint Jakob Lynch. 

If that doesn't happen in time I'll do Youko Hamasaki. In any case I will listen to some of your suggestions and try my hands on zenithal priming and more layers of more dilluted colors. 

On 1/29/2021 at 11:15 AM, Caedrus said:

February - the shortest month of the year. So, here's a challenge for you. Paint a single Malifaux miniature in a single day, from sprue to varnish!

¿Must be a single miniature in a single day or can it be several miniatures in a single day?

I had originally planned to finish 1988 crew and then start on Cooper's crew, but my Mini Market order has been delayed.

I'll finish the 1988 and then try to speed-paint Von Schtook's crew using the same dramatic undercoat plus contrast paint method that I used for the Bloodborne mini.

Haven't decided what mini to assemble and complete in a day, but this is my favorite challenge thus far.

On 29/1/2021 at 11:15 AM, Caedrus said:

Challenge accepted @Caedrus, let's see if one weekend day is enough to paint one of my thunder archers!

I will try to add something else for the rest of the month, but who knows... ^^'

• Like 1

So I don't think I'll be painting all that much this month. I've got a Kings of War tournament on the 6th March, so I'm attempting to paint up a dwarf army in time for that! That said, some of the units I'm using might look a little familiar...

nvUVedR.jpeg

I don't think they'd count for the challenge, but there you go. :P

That all said, I'm still planning to paint at least *something* for Malifaux/TOS...

rOSPD6H.jpeg

I was planning to paint this cheerful bunch in January, before I got distracted by all these Dwarfs. So I'm hoping to paint at least a couple of these in between Dwarf regiments.

The February challenge is very tempting...I might see if I can pull out a mini for that one too. Burning Man knows I've got enough unassembled minis around. @Caedrus One question though - does it have to be Malifaux, or could I paint a TOS model instead? ;) 

• Like 8

Well @Caedrus I'm definitely not doing the sprue to painted in one day, since my terracotta warriors are already assembled, I'm a slow painter, it's busy season at work,, and my assembly workshop and painting spaces are about 20 miles apart...

I have started on the Danger Weasel (kamaitachi) so I've got 4ss on the docket, which will satisfy my peon* level pledge. I'm not super happy with how it's looking so far though. 

*minion

(I finished my January stuff in early Jan but forgot to post an update and will do so soon, I'm going for the on a base counts as based, even though I'm probably going add flock at some point) 

wwqaaj.jpg

• Like 2