Tournament Bonus Point Idea

Jesy Blue

I don't know how common this is, but it would probably work better in bigger events.

What if you got a whole additional bonus point each round for playing a Leader no one else played in the round? Not that would affect who won or lost the game, but to your total tournament points.

It ends up being a bit of a randomized point. Let's say there are 4 people in your faction. You have to guess what each will do to try and get that point ( or more likely talk to them before each round). 

I think you are trying to stop people picking the obvious choice, but as soon as everyone is trying to do that it stops actually working like that. 

1 points each round is a lot in a tournament (= a draw)... and as @Adran said, this is a bit random... It would lead to some feel bad situation. 

I think it's better to keep the points base purely on results in any king of competitive tourney. 

If you want to force/encourage people select different master, it's better to adjust the format of the tournament itself.

This is the objective of the scorpius format. 

You could also go for a ban format.  Each player pick 4 masters (or whatever number work) for the tournament. Before each round you get to bane 1 master.

In small tournament (especially on vassal) you can also Imagine a Draft system for each round (in reverse position order people get to draft their master, if a master is already draft, you can pick him for this round) or a bidding system (each player propose a master, than there's a blind bidding round to select those masters).

6 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

I'm not trying to stop people from picking the obvious choice... I'm rewarding out of the box thinking.

I'm not really an "in the box" malifaux player but I had 2 ideas to play this right away.

Firstly, you chat with the other people in your faction at that event, to make sure you all get that point. On average at a 32 player event (very large except for the really big metas) there are only going to be 4 of your faction, so each round you and 3 other people chat to see what you're each going to play. All it adds is a 30 second chat before each round, and very little difference to the scores

Secondly, if the first wasn't allowed, and the event was a large enough event that overlap was common  I would do something crazy like play Henchmen led, because from my calculations I could win a 3 round event with 2 wins and a draw, due to the extra points I earnt by announcing a henchman. It gets stranger in the bigger events. If you play a 7 round event, like the UK nationals, with 100 players, then its fairly safe to assume that most players will use the same master as another player, so my Crazy henchman strategy gets me an effective 2 wins and a draw for free. The event is often won with 18 points or so. I already have 7, so I just need 11 or 12 to top the table. That's just 4 wins from 7 games. 

Finally I don't like it as it does strongly favour people with larger collections. 

So I think the rewards are either too great, or pointless, and I don't know exactly what your aims are, but I don't think this will meet them at most events I have played in. 

Ah, I see... I'm far too altruistic is my problem. I'm thinking a fun bonus for people, but I forget people are terrible.

Maybe it would work as a bonus ticket when you're doing Chinese auction style prize formats.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As you say people are awful.  Personally i would be pretty peeved if i went undefeated in a tournament but lost due to someone getting extra points through something like this.  

Its similar to events that award points for fully painted crews, just ends up pushing away newer players.

Its a good idea but i think you are right that it should result in extra raffle tickets or a special prize.

Yer I don't think things like this should effect the main prize (or if they do it's something that effects everyone (bans format, iron scorpious)) 

For example the UK Super league has no restrictions beyond no hiring multiple masters (which is the norm for us) but there is a seperate prize for player who has stayed most in keyword

In our local tournament there is a lucky draw beside of the main prize after the event. Players can earn points to higher their chance in the draw by:

a.) winning the game

b.) full paint

c.) good sportsmanship

d.) playing new faction

and etc.

From the description, I think it is what you are looking for.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1