New Year's Retribution

ShinChan

Just wanting to share my experiences playing Bayou during the Vassal tournament "New Year's Retribution". For those who don't know it, the tournament follow a specific set of rules called "Iron Scorpius", which forced the players to pick 5 different Masters beforehand and to play 4 of them, one of each round.

More information about the event, here: 

Round 1:

• Deployment: Standard
  •  Strategy: Corrupted Leylines
  •  Scheme Pool
    • Vendetta
    • Take Prisoner
    • Claim jump
    • Breakthrough
    • Sabotage
  • My Crew:
    • Mah Tucket + Little Lass
    • Sparks
    • Lucky Effigy + Effigy of Fate
    • Mechanized Porkchop
    • Test Subject
    • Bushwhacker
    • Big Brain Brin
    • Gluttony
    • 4ss
  • Opponent's crew:
    • Nexus + 2 Shambling Nest
    • Dr. Meredith Stanley
    • Archivist
    • Nightsilk Creeper
    • Spelleater
    • Spelleater
    • Botanist
    • 4ss
  • Final Score: 7 (4 Corrupted Leylines, 1 Vendetta, 2 Breakthrough)- 6 (4 Corrupted Leylines, 2 Breakthrough, 0 Vendetta)

Comments:
I went with Mah mainly because she has enough movement shenanigans and the map didn't have any concealment, so if needed I could bring a bunch of Bushwackers and try to play the gunline while Mah was going for a walk. Once I saw Nexus, I knew I was going to need something that attacks Wp and ideally something that can push models around, so that was Gluttony, one of my usual OOK picks with Mah as a counter for marker-based crews. It actually worked like a charm. I played quite defensively during turn 1, blocking the path for the Shambling Nests to get parasite tokens on my models with traps, even if that meant activating Mah as one of my first models. When I saw the opportunity, I used Maddening Drums from Gluttony to send a Shambling Nest back to his deployment zone and remove 2 Web Markers in the process, which gave me enough room to breathe and be able to leave my deployment zone, while messing with my opponent's summing turn (which btw, it's obscene how good it is...).

On the bottom part of the table, the Nightsilk Creeper did all he wanted to score Breakthrough while a Bushwacker spent 4 turns running away from the other Shambling Nest.

Turn 2-3 I managed to send the Porkchop packed with explosives to the middle of his crew and kept them busy for a while, while I was trying to score my points. It was impossible to stop the Botanist after he got a couple of grow tokens, so I knew that was going to be a close game. I had Little Lass and BBB trying to stop the Nightsilk Creeper, but the guy does just whatever he wants with all that movement tricks.

I also underestimate the survivality of the Spelleaters, that survived 2 full rounds of Mah Tucket trying to smack them with her spoon, ending with Mah and one of them dead. It truly was a tough game, and if my opponent hadn't misplayed that positioning that allow Gluttony to his thing, game could had easily gone waaaaay worse for me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Gluttony is really growing on me. Maddening Drums is a really strong ability in a lot of situations. 

With web, shadow and lamp markers he seems live he's going to be a good counter pick for a lot of Explorers stuff.

The thing is the markers don't even have to be useful. Even corpse markers can turn the ability on.

Very strong after facing it in the last world series game.

Just now, Maniacal_cackle said:

Even corpse markers can turn the ability on.

This is one reason I'm going to play him a lot with Somer. It's not out of the question to be dropping 4+ corpses a turn. Summons dying all over the place and many of them creating two corpses in the process. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...