What if Riders become duals?

belorey

6 minutes ago, Adran said:

It is probably the same principle, mercenary tax wasn't for all cross faction hires, just those which were mercenary. 

If you remove non keyword hiring, are you just heading to removing Factions from the game?

That's why above I also mention the importance of OOKs. Without OOKs you have no tech picks, and lists would quickly become identical every game.

No OOKs is worse than too many OOKs IMO.

58 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

(P.S.: wasn't the 2e mercenary tax was +2 Soul Stones, too? I don't know why they lowered it to just +1.)

No, 2E was +1.  Same with 1E, except for a handful of models (mostly Freikorps) who had a rule that bumped it to +2 and a few models like Desperate Mercenaries that got the rule Comes Cheap that removed it entirely.

12 hours ago, clockworkspide said:

No, 2E was +1.  Same with 1E, except for a handful of models (mostly Freikorps) who had a rule that bumped it to +2 and a few models like Desperate Mercenaries that got the rule Comes Cheap that removed it entirely.

I think it was only performers that had High class (Merc tax of 2). Friekorps had the restrictions that you couldn't hire them as a merc if you had any non friekoprs mercs. 

M1 gave us a look at taking keyword to the extreme in its treatment of the outcast faction, which was basically 4 unique hiring pools, with about only 4 models in total that could be hired by more than 1 master  in that faction.

• Like 1

I'm currently taking part in an event where I'm currently playing all in keyword and having no counter picks vs some masters have just lead to some non games 

Having no anti shooting vs seamus, no aoe vs hamilin or no ruthless and almost entirely wp 5 vs jackdaw has been far from a fair fight 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Mostly the tax currently serves to thin out your cache. I play with 6-8ss every game so even if aesthetically I wasn't committed to keywords, practically I would need to be. 

I think that's an okay place for the tax to be. Though the dominance if the "superfriends" style lists in competitive play does indicate that hiring OOK is too easy. Honestly I'd have removed the tax entirely and gone with something like "no more than too non-keyword models may be hired." out of the gate. But I hate list building, so I'm for anything that makes that part of the game less involved 😛