Need your help for achieving the right color

I need your help regarding painting and color, guys!

So, last friday my order finally arrived - absolutely made my weekend :D - and i finally got my bearly together models (damn, i love those creepy teddys).

Here is the thing: I really like the art on their cards and on the pictures but i really dont have a clew how to achieve such vibrant colors like the purple in the image.

Do you guys have any ideas for this?

19-Easter_Newsletter_Bear-lyTogether.jpg

That color scheme actually looks pretty similar to the one used in this video, however with clearly delineated sections:

TL;DW

Vallejo's Rosy Flesh/Warlord Purple/Royal Purple or equivalent tones seems to be the right color scheme for the left bear. No Royal Purple for the other bears.

Hmm, now you're making me want to assemble these and try it out.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Stranglelove said:

That color scheme actually looks pretty similar to the one used in this video, however with clearly delineated sections:

TL;DW

Vallejo's Rosy Flesh/Warlord Purple/Royal Purple or equivalent tones seems to be the right color scheme for the left bear. No Royal Purple for the other bears.

Hmm, now you're making me want to assemble these and try it out.

Thanks,

i already found this video on my research but didnt bother to take a look at. Ahould have done that. Very interesting attempt. Will keep this in mind.

Thanks a lot.

Vibrant colors are usually really saturated, so highly pigmented with no (or very little) white added (any white or grey will desaturated your color). Be sur you applied the colors on a white / light grey undercoat though (if you zenital prime, the bright part should be very bright, close to pure white).

For the technique, you don't need an airbrush (but it's quicker). Glazing will help for sure for the transition, but the real key imo ( beside colors and undercoat selection) is to make sure to push your highlight (you can even go to full white and glaze back).

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, SEV said:

Vibrant colors are usually really saturated, so highly pigmented with no (or very little) white added (any white or grey will desaturated your color). Be sur you applied the colors on a white / light grey undercoat though (if you zenital prime, the bright part should be very bright, close to pure white).

For the technique, you don't need an airbrush (but it's quicker). Glazing will help for sure for the transition, but the real key imo ( beside colors and undercoat selection) is to make sure to push your highlight (you can even go to full white and glaze back).

Thanks for thia detailed description. I'm really flashed. Not really used to this active and helpful community ^^

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, this is a topic where I feel I can comment. I've searched for exactly this kind of gorgeous, saturated purple.

As @SEV mentioned, airbrushes help. I'd add that multiple thin coats really help here. There's a depth of saturation that can't be achieved with one thick coat.

In terms of colour, I recommend the following:

Shadow: Scalecolor Violet (SC-56)

Midtone: Vallejo Model Colour Royal Purple (VMC 70.810)

Highlight: Vallejo Model Colour Magenta (VMC 70.945)

Saturation can be increased (carefully) with coats of Scalecolor Inktense Violet.

As a final note, try taking your shadow tones into a very dark values, even black. It will provide valuable contrast to the highlights.

Keen to see your results!

• Like 1