Winged Plagues...

admiralvorkraft

Well, it could go different paths. 

I would like to see their scheming improved. Fly with me could be the way. Maybe with some funny trigger dropping "rat bombs" XD. 

My preference would be improve both mobility and blight spreading. Something like:

Infected Blood: after this model suffers damage from an action or trigger, each non-vermin model in :new-Pulse:1 gains a Blight Token. 

:ToS-Fast:tactical action that spreads blight in :new-Pulse: (Drink Spirit style but less ghostly and more pustulently). This could have the reposition trigger. For example. 

:ToS-Fast:Disgusting Splatter :new-Pulse:3" Stat 4 TN 10

This model may suffer 1 damage. Non-vermin models in range must each pass a TN 13 Df duel or gain a Blight token. 

Quit the range from The Plague Spreads. So the Winged Plague can push up to 6" Towards any enemy without blight tokens in LoS (then the tactical shouldn't have Reposition Trigger, maybe). 

This way they could be a bit better scheming, without achieving Gupps/Crooligan/Necropunk levels, and really worth it giving out Blight when engaged. 

• Like 1

One simple fix would make Winged Plague perfect, and it's not a rule change or adding stiff to the card, it would just be a number change:

• Plentiful 6, 9, or 12

The reason cheap models work in Plague is because they are disposable; kill off 1, another takes it's place; Winged Plague are the only Plague Minion you only get once with no chance of summoning another one. If you're going to do that then give me a bunch of them.

6 hours ago, Zebo said:

Mmmh... No, I don't think so. 6 WP doesn't sound better than 2 for me. 

A wave of overlapping Disease auras that you can't kill fast enough to prevent Blight would be perfect. Everything would have Blight on it by turn 2.

That still doesn't seem like a worthwhile investment if I'm being honest. I rarely find it hard to get Blight out there, and it usually happens incidentally while doing actually meaningful actions like dealing damage with good models.

I have actually run Abomination spam with Leveticus before (6 Abominations, two Desolation Engines, Servant of Dark Powers on Leveticus) and Winged Plagues don't even measure up to that level on paper unfortunately. At least Abominations cut out the middle man/dog/wretch and deal damage directly once they're in the opponent's face.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I presume @Jesy Bluemeans overlapping in the sense that you can't deal with one Winged Plague without ending your turn in another's Diseased Aura for next turn, ensuring that Blight will always be going up.

That said I don't think I've ever felt like Hamelin is all that desperate for scheme runners. He can send a Rat King 18" in a turn and still have it able to Interact at the end of that movement, he has Rat Catchers able to scheme in the middle of the central melee without issue, and he has Benny able to rush up the board and start converting rats into scheme markers in a pinch if many are needed in one place. 

• Like 3

Fair points all around. 

The way I play, Hamelin's actions, especially in early turns, are all pretty dedicated to spooling up the blight engine and building board control. I value at least one model that can get its job done without him, especially if I feel like I need early scheming...

Honestly I think the problem might be Benny (sort of). The designers clearly wanted to get away from Hamelin's summon cycle of 2e but couldn't totally come up with a replacement way for Rats/Rat Kings/Rat Catchers to work. So they put the initial summoning on Benny and made it really AP expensive. Which would be a problem with cheap independent scheme runners. So WP didn't have a clearly defined place. 

I guess the design principle then is plague bombs. Maybe drop them to 3ss, add insignificant, make their push a free action attack to push 5" ignoring intervening models, any models they pass over take Mv 12 duel or gain a blight. Make their demise either 2dmg and blight or 2 blight. 

It would keep summoning a really secondary focus of the crew (mechanically, I know we all do it) while taking pressure off Hamelin to get blight out turn one and letting him support more aggressive scheming... Thoughts?