Engagement and interacts

Higgybeans

Question

So the abilities in question is Nellie's trigger.

20201231_082152.jpg

Firstly do models count as engaged if either model is engaged? As most of the reporters don't have melee ranges, if an enemy model is engaging them, does the enemy model count as engaged too?

I seem to remember in this situation enemy models can just walk away, but can they drop scheme markers (ignoring other abilities like don't mind me).

Secondly (also ignoring other abilities) the enemy cannot choose to drop a scheme marker if within 4" of another, and would have to remove any in base contact, unless there is some specific mission interact action available?

9 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Higgybeans said:

Firstly do models count as engaged if either model is engaged?

Short version:  Yes.  See "Engagement"--You're engaged if you're engaging someone or if you're engaged by someone else.

As most of the reporters don't have melee ranges, if an enemy model is engaging them, does the enemy model count as engaged too?

Yes, see above.

I seem to remember in this situation enemy models can just walk away, but can they drop scheme markers (ignoring other abilities like don't mind me).

That's caused by the fact that Walk prohibits "leaving engagement range", not something like 'cannot be used to cancel engagement'.  

• Like 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

Secondly (also ignoring other abilities) the enemy cannot choose to drop a scheme marker if within 4" of another, and would have to remove any in base contact, unless there is some specific mission interact action available?

Short version:  Yeah, you're on the right track that the choice made during the Interact still has to be legal.  But note that if you're hoping to force someone to drop a scheme marker, "remove all scheme markers in base contact" is legal to do even when there are no scheme markers in base contact.  Just like discarding your hand is legal to do when you're not holding any cards.  (You can't discard a card when you don't have any, but you still have a hand when you don't have any cards.)

Longer version:  Keep in mind that Nellie also has "When an enemy model within Aura 2 takes the Interact Action, it is treated as a friendly model and the Action is controlled by this model".  Also, from the FAQ:

Exclusive Interview – If a model takes the Interact Action while within 2” of a friendly model with Exclusive Interview, does it still count as an enemy model for the purposes of that model’s Chasing a Story Ability, if any?
a) Yes. Exclusive Interview makes the alignment of the model both friendly and enemy for the duration of the Interact Action, thus effects that resolve exclusively for enemies and for friendlies would both resolve (though the Action is still only considered enemy-controlled). If the model drops a Marker, it is friendly to the player controlling it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, solkan said:

Short version:  Yes.  See "Engagement"--You're engaged if you're engaging someone or if you're engaged by someone else.

Yes, see above.

That's caused by the fact that Walk prohibits "leaving engagement range", not something like 'cannot be used to cancel engagement'.  

I think you may be misremembering the rules. It is possible for A to engage B without B engaging A.

Page 26 of the rules:

If the friendly model has a longer engagement range than the enemy model, this could lead to situations where the friendly model is engaging the enemy model, but the enemy model is not engaging the friendly model (because the friendly model is not within its engagement range).

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Higgybeans said:

So the abilities in question is Nellie's trigger.

20201231_082152.jpg

Firstly do models count as engaged if either model is engaged? As most of the reporters don't have melee ranges, if an enemy model is engaging them, does the enemy model count as engaged too?

1. There is a distinction between Engaged and Engaging. For this situation that means:

a) Nellie can use One More Question on an Engaged Reporter and not have to worry about doing damage to them

b) The enemy model can still Interact if it is Engaging a reporter without an Engagement Range

2. There are three things you can do with the Interact Action. You can drop a friendly scheme marker not within 4" of another friendly scheme marker, you can remove all scheme markers in base contact, or you can do something mission specific. So this is correct, Nellie's Trigger cannot be used to drop another Scheme Marker within 4" of an Existing Scheme Marker (friendly to the interacting model). 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/31/2020 at 2:26 PM, Maniacal_cackle said:

I think you may be misremembering the rules. It is possible for A to engage B without B engaging A.

Page 26 of the rules:

If the friendly model has a longer engagement range than the enemy model, this could lead to situations where the friendly model is engaging the enemy model, but the enemy model is not engaging the friendly model (because the friendly model is not within its engagement range).

Is there and official ruling for this?

I have had more than 1 game devolve into frantic quoting of rules with NO clear answer...

If A is engaging B without B engaging A, is A "Engaged" ?

15 hours ago, SnaRf.za said:

Is there and official ruling for this?

I have had more than 1 game devolve into frantic quoting of rules with NO clear answer...

If A is engaging B without B engaging A, is A "Engaged" ?

The rule book says (page 26 electronic)

If an enemy model is within a friendly model’s engagement range and the friendly model has LoS to the enemy model, the friendly model is considered to be engaging the enemy model, and the enemy model is considered to be engaged by the friendly model.

If the friendly model has a longer engagement range than the enemy model, this could lead to situations where the friendly model is engaging the enemy  model, but the enemy model is not engaging the friendly model (because the friendly model is not within its engagement range).

This seems pretty clear to me that there is a difference between engaging and engaged.  So in your question A is not engaged because it is not in the engagement range of a model that it is an enemy to. So it can shoot, charge, walk away, interact. It can't disengage, and if it is targeted for a shooting attack then the friendly fire penalty will apply (that's the only core rule that applies on engaging that I can think of, everything else is if you are engaged).

I'm not sure what rules people could quote to suggest something other than that answer

This is a different answer to the previous editions, so that sometimes leads to confusion. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2