Rasputina - problems and possible fixes

Filox

The 9th age project used to do long term releases and regular beta tweaks, to try and keep everyone happy. However, they found that casual players were using the beta rules because it was trivial to download them and print them. They've now transitioned to something in the middle with fixed releases and 'gold' periods of no change. I think it's working well for the majority of players, but it can be frustrating when a unit you love is completely useless because it wasn't fixed before the army book rules freeze.

Yearly major fixes and minor fixes with a 3-6 month offset makes sense to me. Every year you try and fix everything, then 3-6 months later you do a smaller errata to fix all the little* things that slipped through. [*Big]

Mantic do a really good job with Deadzone - every year they release a new campaign book that reprints all the army lists. Last year, partly due to covid and partly due to what a good state the rules are in, they've missed out on their update, but after many years of this system they've got the game into a solid position. It still lacks players (40k/gw blinding others to trying different sci-fi games) and has the odd thing that could do with an update.

The slight problem I see with Malifaux is that gaining grounds makes such a huge difference to balance it's difficult to work out what's caused by GG and what is model related.

• Like 2

There is also the risk of giving any said data more credence than it deserves. There is a infinite amount of ways to taint data or misinterpret it. The game is 98% fine. Not a single model needs more than a 1-2 love taps. I do think there however is a significant amount of models that need a love tap 

• Agree 1

I think errata is much more necessary when low power models compound to create inefficient crews/keywords, which is what leads to problems in competitive play. It's mostly fine from a game health perspective to leave a lone model below the curve, though it truly sucks for the players who leave it on the shelf, but it becomes an issue when entire crews are left on the shelf because they cannot work together to compete. (I know some people will still choose to take Raspy in tournaments, they just won't win)

You may dislike errata, but they're going to happen to put strong models down because the competitive scene wouldn't tolerate the alternative. Why can't we lift some weak crews up while we're at it?

Alternatively, please hit us with those alternate Master cards Wyrd. Maybe there is game design space that allows an alternate Raspy card to simultaneously make Hoarcats, Ice Dancers, December Acolytes, and the Ice Golem all good somehow.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jinn said:

I think errata is much more necessary when low power models compound to create inefficient crews/keywords, which is what leads to problems in competitive play. It's mostly fine from a game health perspective to leave a lone model below the curve, though it truly sucks for the players who leave it on the shelf, but it becomes an issue when entire crews are left on the shelf because they cannot work together to compete. (I know some people will still choose to take Raspy in tournaments, they just won't win)

You may dislike errata, but they're going to happen to put strong models down because the competitive scene wouldn't tolerate the alternative. Why can't we lift some weak crews up while we're at it?

Alternatively, please hit us with those alternate Master cards Wyrd. Maybe there is game design space that allows an alternate Raspy card to simultaneously make Hoarcats, Ice Dancers, December Acolytes, and the Ice Golem all good somehow.

If for example, we would get alt Rasputina who is clearly stronger then the other, the main card would become alt and she would never be seen anymore. Opposit is also possible. 

Why should it be a problem for competitive play when some models or play don't see as much play time as others (or none at all)? Isn't it part of what competitive gaming is about? Finding the one (per situation) perfect solution (for your play style)? 

It's imho just natural that some models and even crews are kinda left behind in a competitive environment. 

And I am no fan of two different cards for a model. Just feel uncomfortable with it. 

• Agree 2

54 minutes ago, ooshawn said:

Yeah alternate masters card, aren't alternate masters. They are just new models with names/models that are similar to existing ones. definitely not a fan of balancing in that way only

I would say in Raspy's case it could be a balancing method if she was not reliant on markers anymore. You couldn't just take marker removal to counter her.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Harlekin said:

Why should it be a problem for competitive play when some models or play don't see as much play time as others (or none at all)? Isn't it part of what competitive gaming is about?

I broadly agree with this sentiment applied to the game as a whole, but specifically talking in terms of a Master, a driving force in the lore and a headline name associated with a faction, I don't think it is right.

• Like 1

its good that we are talking abt raspi's buff, but i would be much more happy to see bokors, bb shamans, shen, ophelia, dreamer nerfed than rasputina buffed; and maybe they will nerf some problems in explorers-like emissary/archivist/harata ngatoro, vinston finigan/nexus keyword

1 hour ago, Plaag said:

its good that we are talking abt raspi's buff, but i would be much more happy to see bokors, bb shamans, shen, ophelia, dreamer nerfed than rasputina buffed; and maybe they will nerf some problems in explorers-like emissary/archivist/harata ngatoro, vinston finigan/nexus keyword

You missed collette on your nurf list

1 hour ago, Adran said:

That's because its a list of Nerfs he would be happy with...

That might not be the same as a list of Nerfs that are good for the game😉

u are not right, i sayed not abt all models; it will be a big list of nerfs if i would say abt them all

• Agree 1