Your way into the Neverborn?

Regelridderen

Neverborn are my third faction. I started with Guild, as I loved the faux models, but doubted I could find any use for them, and at the time it was more probable I could use them for an RPG. 

McMourning then took me into ressur territory, and suddenly I found myself having 5 crews and just one game to my name. 

Realizing I’d become more of a painter than a player, I finally caved in to my first impulse and got The Dreamer - luckily the opportunity for more games came up, and soon Pandora followed, then Lucius, and luckily they’re as fun to play ad they were to paint. 

I’m fairly done with Neverborn, neither Titania, Euripides, Zoraida nor Nekima scratch my itch at the moment and I’m more into ninjas and samurai. But when it comes to putting models on the table, the creepy kids usually win out. 

So what’s your path been like?

• Like 1

I started one year ago. Asking @ShinChan to teach me the game (he was kind again to oblige and still indulge my many misplay... now on vassal). I went for Bayou (Mah) and my girlfriend choose Dreamer. I love the little green guys, but Pandora soon became one of my favorite master... Now I have to learne more Neverborn keyword if I want to become an half-decent tournament player. Unfortunately the one I like the most from an esthetic point of view (Savge) don't appeal me for game play (they seem really static). I like the fast a d furious aggro style of Nekima, but I'm not a fan of the models... So I have a dilemma to solve for my next crew..

• Like 2

I saw Bearly Together and absolutely adored them. This got me into Dreamer, and so I bought a used Dreamer crew off of Facebook (with Stitched, so I didn't even need Bearly Together).

I then bought Pandora.

I then realised that Neverborn and Ressers were too similar and Ressers started to woo me back, so I ditched the indigenous people of Malifaux for the undead usurpers. I'm the worst kind of traitor :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I got into Malifaux by playing the other side. First got me sandeep whom i loved right from the start. A few weeks later I participated at a tournament at my lgs and got to the 3rd Place. My Price was Lucius and he was a tough challenge for me to master. I fell in love with the minis, the style and his kind of play. On this way I got a hold on the master of puppets box to include vasilisa in some of the Lucius games and so I was newborn a Neverborn. 

• Like 3

My all time group of friends got into this, they picked ARC, RES and BAY and bought me a second hand Misaki crew as a gift. I got talked into this game and spend a bit of time browsing the different factions.

I really liked ARC and RES looked quite strong but I didn't want to repeat a faction we have; from the other factions I was on the fence between TT and NVB (I really liked Tara from OUT, but most of that faction wasn't that eye catching to me). I ended picking the purple side because I liked Dreamer and Pandora's aesthetic (I didn't know how good Dreamer was at that time), the variety of aesthetic and playstiles of this faction and was the faction where I liked most masters (and I saw from minute 1 that to be somewhat competitive I had to choose 1 faction, not a few masters from different factions); also I don't mind playing more squishy crews (in other skirmish games I usually played the fast/caster/trick heavy factions) and here I could still access to Marcus and some Puppets from ARC that I really liked.

In retrospect I'd had been fine with TT because I have been liking their master more and more (and also kind of I'm because between the ARC player and I we own most of that faction already and have no problem lending our models to each other); but I'm quite happy with my choice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I soloed Seamus in 2e, and with the shift to 3e I lost interest in him given the weak synergies of the crew and the loss of his hiring showgirls which I had spent a lot of effort collecting and painting. From there I picked up Jack and found another style of master I liked, but none of the rest of Ressers appealed to me, nor did Outcasts. 

I decided with 3e I wanted to play with a wider roster to better react to my opponent competitively. I always liked Collodi conceptually, but with his removal to DMH I picked up Hinamatsu as my entry to Neverborn. My typical puppets list includes Candy OOK, and that's how I got into Pandora. I intend to pick up Titania to round out my selections as my third master.

Also Neverborn just has the best alt models, and I'll fight you over it.

• Like 2

The year was 2009...

I got in when the owner of the game store I went to explain why it was better than Warmachine (obviously), and they had, if I can remember right, Seamus, Nicodem, Lilith, Viktoria, and Lady J I believe (probably...).  Honestly I was much younger then and it legit came down to which did I like more, undead hookers, leather clad chick with greatsword, other leather clad chick with greatsword, or katana clones.  I liked purple more than red...

After I got Lilith I liked how she played (she played way different then) so I just kept with her as my main and filled out what I liked.  Committing to a faction wasn't as big a thing back then since everyone had a little bit of everything.  I mean in order I got: Lilith, Viktoria, Zoraida, Perdita, and Leveticus.  Then I fell out of the game for a bit after moving around where there wasn't a community, then moved somewhere there was when 2e was about a year in, and started filling out the rest of the stuff, although I think I really just played Lilith and Pandora mostly through 2e since Dreamer and Zoraida were kinda meh, and Titania didn't come around until almost 3e.

I just stuck with them as a main because they have good models, and up until recently fit my playstyle of some variation of murder your opponent (which is why I'm terrible at Collette...).  Sadly I've moved into Outcasts because I don't feel like just playing Dreamer 100% of the time if I want to have a reasonable chance to win... although if they become more competitive (or Lilith comes back) I might start playing them again.

• Like 1

It all started with the end of warhammer fantasy battle back in 2015. After a while some of us picked up WMH, but that game got stale after a while with more an more people falling off after mkIII. Then all of a sudden a fellow local gamer started GIVING AWAY Malifaux crews to boost the local meta. That's right, he gave away 6 or 7 crews, for free. I had no idea what the game was like, but I liked the looks of Tara, so I kindly accepted. (Now get this... I got Nightmare translucent Tara box, Killjoy, 3 Death marshals, 3 Crooligans and Anna Lovelace. All 2E models in sealed boxes...)

Anyways... after a few games and some research I came to the conclusion that Neverborn as a faction appealed more to me than Ressurectionists or Outcast (This was during 2E so Tara was dual faction back then). And it was all downhill from there, so now I own all (I think?) neverborn models, most of outcasts and a decent portion of guild (rememeber those Death marshals from 2E Tara... Yeah I had to find a way to put them on a table), as well as some oddball limited edition models and cool crews in other factions.

Now I guess I should try to paint some more of these?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I originally saw Candy and Teddy and saw them as Annie and Tibbers from League of Legends and was like "this could be a super cool game". 

Then I found Nekima in M2e, and Bloody Beauty triggers combined with Lilith's living blade pounce trick was so gross I never looked back. The beautiful raw damage drew me in, and the awesome tribe of murder demons kept me enchanted. Then Nekima became a master and I was even more enchanted.

• Like 2

Well I started by buying an Arcanist Master who could hire any beast, but all the best beasts were in Neverborn. So I thought I might as well get a Master that could use them. 

Of course now that Master is Neverborn (Marcus), and those beasts either aren't neverborn anymore (Silurids) or beasts anymore (Waldgiests), and my first neverborn master is "kicked" out of the game (Lilith).

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Along a similar line, I started with puppets, which led me to Collette and dreamer. M2E lord chompy bits is such a great model! I then discovered Marcus, who takes me way back to my WHFB days of beast centric dark elves. My neverborn are now expanding as I collect Marcus beasts, and think, well I've got a beast from that keyword, I might as well get the rest!

• Like 2

TBH I don't recall, but my first faction was Rasputina (sorry Arcanists) so eventually I had Marcus and a reason to take Neverborn beasts, but I also had picked up WP4 gremlins as my Outcasts (at that time), so I might have thought about picking up Zoraida as she could take any WP4 or less, which meant all of my gremlins.

In the end, I know I ended up getting Lilith and Pandora crews (including carrying case and Collette) via a friend who was consolidating his games and therefore cutting out ones he no longer played.  I think I may have bought the Zoraida crew before then, but if I hadn't I definitely did shortly thereafter.  I also picked up Collodi and later Dreamer & Titania.

Now that I think about it, Collodi might have been first.

• Like 2

When I was first looking at Malifaux it was between Pandora and Lady J. I decide to go with the creepy kids and got a Teddy to go with them. Now I own all the masters except Euripides and have most of the faction. I branched into guild playing a new master each year in my clubs grow league, I also have most of the mercenaries you could hire in 2e so I have a good outcast collection.  With Lynch and McCabe losing Guild and Neverborn I also have a good foot in the door for TT. I got Basse so the only Guild master I don't have is Hoffman so I have a quarter of the Explorers too. It's like Wyrd is good at making you buy into everything. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Back when I thought I was a Guild player (Hoffman and aracanist really, but I was young and confused) I needed a couple Guild Guard to fill out something and blah blah sale, blah Lucius. Never got around to using him, but faded away for a while and came back hard into arcanists until the Witche3s and Woes box (didn't get candy and kade tho) wandered into my clutches. Then it was like, "I like the doppelganger and have this master and some lawyers..." and the rest will be history whenever I get around to playing them. Mostly Wyrd gets me cause I see some models I like and my dreams of playing only one faction shatter. Stupid robo goat making me want to explorers...

• Like 2

I started in M3E but followed the lore a bit at the end of 2. Titania's aesthetic (a queen, not dark but beautiful and terrible as the dawn) appealed to me and her rise to power solidified my interest in Neverborn. Pretty much all the other masters in the faction interested me in either aesthetics or playstyle, so I took the plunge.

• Like 2

I had a warhammer 40k army stolen from me via mail fraud in like September 2020 so decided to branch out into different miniature games and take a break from GW. 

I heard that Malifaux had the highest quality models of any miniature game so figured I’d take a look. 

I decided to start with Titania because, well, she’s the fae queen and also a relatively simple master to start learning the game.

Things quickly spiraled. Halloween Pandora came out and I love fun little things like that so bought a whole Pandora crew. And then someone was selling an entire dreamer keyword for like $100 and that was a no brainer. Then I watched the entire pirates of the Caribbean franchise on a bet and was like “man I think that voodoo aesthetic is awesome but I want to stay neverborn for now”. And that added Zoraida to the mix. 

Then my dad wanted to start playing so I got and painted up a McCabe crew for him.

Then those punks at wyrd had the absolute nerve to release explorers society and start with a crew that’s literally the most dangerous game with a frickin’ dinosaur I can use with Titania so yeah ok fine I’ll pick up Lord Cooper and the apex keyword no problem. 

But things don’t end there, no sir/ma’am. Another online sale resulted in me picking up yan Lo, asami, misaki, and lynch crews. So far I’ve finished painting Yan Lo and am about halfway through Asami. 

So, what was supposed to be just a quick dip into Malifaux vis neverborn has now resulted in me having painted 162 models and having completed Titania, Pandora, Zoraida (minus her new core box), dreamer, McCabe, lord Cooper, Yan Lo, and partially Asami crews plus a good smattering of versatiles. 

oh, I also have a Christmas rasputina crew from somewhere that I’ll be paining up next holiday season and a complete cat Hamelin crew I’ve sent to be commission painted by an expert because I love cats and want them to look like my cats while also looking as good as possible. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I came to seriously entering Malifaux with M3E. Mainly as I was looking for nice fantasy-ish models to collect/paint as a side project for my Infinity stuff. I just needed a change in styles after about 10 years of almost Infinity only painting. 

After getting stuff from the secondary market I was looking for those Masters nobody in my regular gaming group own which lead to Brewy, Reva and finally - Titania. Now, Titania was on my list from the very beginning when I started to take a closer look at M3E and from there on it was all Neverborn-are-coolest-ever! Now, I own almost all NVB Crews (including Collodi) with the translucent Dreamer and 'Dora rather high on my assembling/modding list, and I am looking forward to get Nekima, soon. 

Tbh, when it comes to Malifaux and especially the NVB, I might most likely go full pokemon. 

Atm, I am keeping myself busy mainly with Rezzers as Neverborn are very popular with my regular gaming buddies and I'm not so fond of mirror-ish matches and Rezzers was the faction I started with. But I should be able to finish my Rezzers collection this year and will focus on NVB after that. 

• Like 1

The first box I ever picked up was Seamus... followed by Lilith shortly after...probably about a week later. I just loved the idea of Lilith with the nephilim. Then I branched out with more Neverborn crews and models. I love the fluff and I love the monsters!

• Like 1